GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 09:23:25 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So..whats next for Goldeneye Source?  (Read 31081 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: So..whats next for Goldeneye Source?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 06:25:42 am »

There are also some unfinished characters that might someday make their way to the mod. It is just getting those certain devs to hand over the assets and another one to finish it and get it into game. Still some assets that could be put together.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 07:12:29 am »

The team internally is finally having a break. It may seem like after releases we don't do much. But internally its been common to "stay quiet" even if we have big plans and are working hard. We want something to show before we talk. After every release there is a unspoken decision to work hard on a patch, and get momentum from getting back into gear so others can piggyback on the vibes.

This time around, with how big the release was from Killermonkey and the mappers, having bots and many visual updates - the team has gone dark, some in burnout protection mode. No one is saying give up on GE:S. Definitely time for a re-evaluation of what we could do in the following years as a group. And for me, this is something I won't walk away from if I have internet, free of financial worry and as worse as 3-5 hours a week spare.

As far as the community. The lower numbers in release downtime creates two stigmas.

1. The mod is dead (many believe this, even though you can get a game every day, some people have a high bar when considering mod popularity)
2. The fanbase is hardcore but exclusive (the longer this mod is out the more they are "pros" and can own you all day, and this don't welcome newcomers, and casual folks say fuck this in their head or on mics..)

I believe that this community needs to be more inclusive to alleviate this. An "everyone working together" mentality. That would be the only thing I can imagine would increase numbers. Releases, quality of product, promotionals like reddit and PCgamer etc simply don't work!

As a hype vehicle we were running on nostalgia fumes from 2005-2009. Then when we finally created a product that had a brilliant gaming experience as opposed to a "a fun goldeneye hl2 mod" we get tasted and spit out. Like a fine wine testing. Everyone loves it in that little sip. Comments on it's qualities, appreciates its creators and savors the taste in their mouth for that brief minute. But they don't want to invest in it. Time is money and they can play blizzard games, activision, valve, minecraft, flash games, other newer mods that have got their nostalgia pulse beating.

And of course we don't have nowhere yelling out "goldeneyesource.com" in 2006 on internet videos unrelated to gaming, anymore. I think we took a hit after that "cross promotion" wasn't built upon. We missed a great opportunity not having a fan in Libya holding up signs. Occupy Wallstreet? The Wiggles reunion tour?? So many missed opportunities for our fans to be smiling and passing on the vibes to Goldeneye: Source. Braces optional
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:19:54 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 08:02:09 am »

The team internally is finally having a break. It may seem like after releases we don't do much. But internally its been common to "stay quiet" even if we have big plans and are working hard. We want something to show before we talk. After every release there is a unspoken decision to work hard on a patch, and get momentum from getting back into gear so others can piggyback on the vibes.

This time around, with how big the release was from Killermonkey and the mappers, having bots and many visual updates - the team has gone dark, some in burnout protection mode. No one is saying give up on GE:S. Definitely time for a re-evaluation of what we could do in the following years as a group. And for me, this is something I won't walk away from if I have internet, free of financial worry and as worse as 3-5 hours a week spare.

As far as the community. The lower numbers in release downtime creates two stigmas.

1. The mod is dead (many believe this, even though you can get a game every day, some people have a high bar when considering mod popularity)
2. The fanbase is hardcore but exclusive (the longer this mod is out the more they are "pros" and can own you all day, and this don't welcome newcomers, and casual folks say fuck this in their head or on mics..)

I believe that this community needs to be more inclusive to alleviate this. An "everyone working together" mentality. That would be the only thing I can imagine would increase numbers. Releases, quality of product, promotionals like reddit and PCgamer etc simply don't work!

As a hype vehicle we were running on nostalgia fumes from 2005-2009. Then when we finally created a product that had a brilliant gaming experience as opposed to a "a fun goldeneye hl2 mod" we get tasted and spit out. Like a fine wine testing. Everyone loves it in that little sip. Comments on it's qualities, appreciates its creators and savors the taste in their mouth for that brief minute. But they don't want to invest in it. Time is money and they can play blizzard games, activision, valve, minecraft, flash games, other newer mods that have got their nostalgia pulse beating.

And of course we don't have nowhere yelling out "goldeneyesource.com" in 2006 on internet videos unrelated to gaming, anymore. I think we took a hit after that "cross promotion" wasn't built upon. We missed a great opportunity not having a fan in Libya holding up signs. Occupy Wallstreet? The Wiggles reunion tour?? So many missed opportunities for our fans to be smiling and passing on the vibes to Goldeneye: Source. Braces optional

the thing that i believe is that Goldeneye Source cannot get too big mainly as if it did get really huge Activison or Eurocom or MGM would try to shut down the mod and if that ever happened god i would get so depressed if that happened- Goldeneye Source is not just a mod its a game that stands up against all the other current video games that have been COD infused (even Halo now which i loved from 1-3 but now has several COD gaming moments like- the interactive cutscenes, the XP system and Sprinting- i mean real games dont need sprint) and Goldeneye Source is the ray of hope in this darkness...

Yes! I am Invincible!

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »

Or just make a new game, and not butcher the franchise like all other companies.
is that sarcasm or are you serious? But i really wish that GE:S would officially go to steam and get Steam achievements, because most of steam users haven't even heard about GE:S so then we can have more players!  ::)

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »

is that sarcasm or are you serious? But i really wish that GE:S would officially go to steam and get Steam achievements, because most of steam users haven't even heard about GE:S so then we can have more players!  ::)

If it was possible to do this, we would have done this ages ago.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:00 am »

I domt see how people say this mod is dead, i play almost everyday amd get matches each time, and ill keep playing this mod untill it cant even be played anymore "literally" i've been a huge fan since 2008 and will always be.

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 07:42:28 am »

Everyone who knows what a mod is, and plays them, knows us. All it would require is like 1000 of them to play everyday, and no one could call us dead. Which isn't huge numbers when you consider how Insurgency was going in 2007/8. I don't think we're dead, dying or otherwise. But the tag exists.

I'd love to be able to agree with the idea that the lack of playerbase is only due to lack of exposure. But when you factor in how exposed we've been consistently for 7 years, with new content all the time, and strong examples like Evan Lahti going against the 'machine' to promote us hardcore, because he recognises the achievement of our game? I struggle to see it being a simple case of not enough players know...

The idea that "most steam users don't know us" is debatable. I would believe no users on steam born after 1995 know us, or even what Goldeneye is, and are the COD generation. You'll never get those guys, or want to hear them complaining the game isn't "modern". The disconnect between potential players and us will only get worse.

I found this mod because of my love of goldeneye, not because of exposure on steam. Lots of mods on steam have been "exposed" that way and I have not encountered one time that meant more to me playing it, than finding something myself. There are plenty enough goldeneye fans in this world to make us popular. The issue? Lots still play console and not PC. Lots grew up and have 60 hour jobs and babies or babes (majority of devs included) to live for. Lots got 'burned' by seeing our early releases and never came back. We got some ridiculous 2006 era criticism on the alpha. Lots got on the hype train between 2005 and 2008 and simply spent all their fan love towards us, and faded off.

All of these combined are facts that no amount of exposure *now* can address.

It's really in the communities hands now. What I'm hoping is that some goldeneye fan out there frustrated at our lack of SP, understands that the current implementations of scripting could be used for co-op... This is one of the most overlooked aspects of the release. And one not hidden from our PR  ;) Could I peddle it more without seeming desperate.... Guess we'll find out.

/Gimme Gimme Gimme Coco Pops

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 10:43:11 pm »

Everyone who knows what a mod is, and plays them, knows us. All it would require is like 1000 of them to play everyday, and no one could call us dead. Which isn't huge numbers when you consider how Insurgency was going in 2007/8. I don't think we're dead, dying or otherwise. But the tag exists.

I'd love to be able to agree with the idea that the lack of playerbase is only due to lack of exposure. But when you factor in how exposed we've been consistently for 7 years, with new content all the time, and strong examples like Evan Lahti going against the 'machine' to promote us hardcore, because he recognises the achievement of our game? I struggle to see it being a simple case of not enough players know...

The idea that "most steam users don't know us" is debatable. I would believe no users on steam born after 1995 know us, or even what Goldeneye is, and are the COD generation. You'll never get those guys, or want to hear them complaining the game isn't "modern". The disconnect between potential players and us will only get worse.

I found this mod because of my love of goldeneye, not because of exposure on steam. Lots of mods on steam have been "exposed" that way and I have not encountered one time that meant more to me playing it, than finding something myself. There are plenty enough goldeneye fans in this world to make us popular. The issue? Lots still play console and not PC. Lots grew up and have 60 hour jobs and babies or babes (majority of devs included) to live for. Lots got 'burned' by seeing our early releases and never came back. We got some ridiculous 2006 era criticism on the alpha. Lots got on the hype train between 2005 and 2008 and simply spent all their fan love towards us, and faded off.

All of these combined are facts that no amount of exposure *now* can address.

It's really in the communities hands now. What I'm hoping is that some goldeneye fan out there frustrated at our lack of SP, understands that the current implementations of scripting could be used for co-op... This is one of the most overlooked aspects of the release. And one not hidden from our PR  ;) Could I peddle it more without seeming desperate.... Guess we'll find out.

/Gimme Gimme Gimme Coco Pops

Well stated, I believe it's not the devs fault for not producing more content for the game, it's truly because there's not much needed to be put into the game except for maps, etc. As for advertising of the game, if anymore attention is brought up to the mod, Activision could try and shut us down. As I've stated before, I believe it's the community's turn to give back to the mod by releasing custom content. That's probably the way it's going to stay alive for now. Even though I'm a little bummed out over the Single player part, we all understand about the devs stand on this subject. In conclusion, I thank you dearly for providing an interesting yet fun experience for me and possibly the community. We will always support you no matter what the decision. :)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 10:05:04 am »

While the quanitity of our community might be small, i think the quality is far better then on many other communities.
Just an example: we got a lot of community contribution such as maps and gamemodes.
Most other communities ain't providing such a huge support even if they got more members.

This makes me proud.

One thing that doesn't make me proud is the rivalry especially among the clans.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:10 am »

I don't know what you mean about this rivalry amongst the clans :S

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »

I don't know what you mean about this rivalry amongst the clans :S

1138 4 Life :) screw those other guys.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:47:37 pm by Peroxwhy?gen »

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

Emilia

• 00 Agent
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 11:08:47 pm »

^

Oh, there it is.

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 03:18:30 am »

I don't really see much rivalry anymore, I actually think it has calm down drastically to what it was a year ago. I think it's because everyone realized to just play for fun.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 05:14:58 pm »

[E-S-S] will always be statistically the strongest clan.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

-[JS]- reunite!!!

***chirp chirp***
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up