GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 27, 2024, 04:33:07 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Forge 90226: Live and Let Die  (Read 24497 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Forge 90226: Live and Let Die
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:48:44 am »

What is Live and Let Die?

A couple years ago the gang was discussing the prospect of adding new scenarios.  Conversation drifted to the one player missions, and Xanatos mentioned we should do something with the Egyptian/Baron-Samedi/Golden-Gun concept.  Instantly, I knew exactly what we needed.

What's the concept?

In the single player mission, you were tasked with evading Drax minions, finding the map to the trapped Golden Gun room, getting the AuG, and using it to dispatch the ever-persistent Baron Samedi.

In Live and Let Die, each player is Bond, tasked with evading Drax minions (all the other players, who feel just as much like Bond as you do), seeking the Golden Gun, and using it to dispatch the ever-persistent Baron Samedi.

Sounds complicated...

A little, but mostly on my end.  The script file is already 50% larger than Lodle's Gun Game, 300% larger than You Only Live Twice, and it's only partly complete.  Here's what you need to know:

Baron Samedi

One player is selected to play Baron Samedi.  As in Goldeneye 007's Egyptian mission, the Baron starts with weak weapons, but when Bond kills him and Samedi returns, he returns with bigger guns.  He cannot pick up weapons, but he can accumulate ammunition.  In Live and Let Die, Samedi starts with Knife and the Slot 1 weapon.  Each time he is killed by non-Golden-Gun damage, he returns reloaded and with the next weapon in the loadout.  That means after seven deaths, he's fully armed and has plenty of ammunition, too.

The Baron's health is special.  Samedi has the normal 100% HP, but he only loses HP to Golden Gun damage, and he is 98% resistant to that as well.  A headshot from the AuG will drop him, but a body blow does 50% and a limb shot, 25%.  When wounded, Samedi can force another player to "kill" him, so he can re-locate away from the Golden Gun Guy, recover 25% health, and gain a power level.

Samedi's armor scale is doubled in range, and serves as normal health.  Thus, it starts at 50%, and picking up a normal body armor will increase it to 100%.  Baron Samedi doesn't mind being killed by players, since that will increase his power level, so taking armor is a tactical decision.  By picking it up, the other players are easier to kill, making it more difficult for any one player to hold the Golden Gun for very long.  Plus, it means you get more time to kill someone with a strong weapon, which is the kind of guy you don't want to see get the Golden Gun.

Whenever a player is killed by Baron Samedi, he is eliminated from the round, and the Baron earns one point.

After reaching Level 7, Baron Samedi may have no more weapons to earn, but that doesn't stop him from pumping iron.  Each time he is killed by a player at that point, his damage increases.  At Level 8 he does +13%, at Level 13 he does double damage, Level 19 is quadruple damage, and by Level 36, even a Klobb strike will kill anyone.

Finally, Baron Samedi can respawn at-will three times during a round.  This instantly moves him to a new spawnpoint.  This can be used to escape a suicide (falling off Runway, Caves, or Complex is a bad idea) or escape the guy with the AuG.

Everyone Else

Your objective is simple. Get the Golden Gun and put a bullet in Sammy's head.  Of course, everyone in the server wants the Golden Gun, since it's the only way to survive the round.  Even the Baron wants the Golden Gun.  He can't use it, but if he's standing on it, you'll have to get through him to take it.  Sure, you all could gang up on him, but how long will that truce last once Samedi's on the other side of the map and everyone in your little party knows the only guy getting points is the one with the AuG?  Besides, this is Live and Let Die, why should you stick your neck out?  The only time you care about your "teammates" being stomped by the Baron is if you're in a points-race for the match win against the Baron's player.

You earn no frags for killing other players, and they will respawn normally.

Radar

The radar shows the Baron as a white dot, with brightness indicating his level. At Level 1, he's hardly visible. By Level 8 he's bright white.
As in Man with the Golden Gun, the Golden Gun, or its carrier, appear in yellow on the radar.
If Baron Samedi has eliminated everyone on the map but one final combatant, the radar shifts into Showdown mode.  Only the Golden Gun on the ground will appear.  Bond and the Baron will duke it out blind.

Radar behavior has some glitches, seems to be common when only two people play. I'm unconcerned.

Scoring

Each round has a bounty determined by how many players are in the round when admission to the game is locked for the round.  This happens on the first non-Baron player death.  Before this time, players logging in or who started in spec may still join.  Once the round has begun, switching to spectator removes you from the round.

The Baron only earns points from frags. Thus, he can earn points equal to the bounty less one.  (e.g., if there are ten players in the round, he can kill nine of them and earn nine points.)  When Baron Samedi wins a round, his score may be adjusted to be equal to the bounty less one, giving him kill-credit on players who abandoned the round early by leaving or switching to Spectator.

The players can only earn points by killing Baron Samedi with the Golden Gun.  Killing him is worth the round's bounty.  Thus, the players are in an all-or-nothing situation.

In the showdown case, the Baron is playing to deprive the player of any points and to claim any points he did not earn during the round when players left.  The surviving Bond is playing for all the points the Baron can earn plus one.

Special Cases and Notes

* If all players but one drop, the remaining player will be credited with the victory.  An exception to this is if the round was never locked to admission because it never saw a player fatality, which can happen early in a round, or in a two-man round. In this case, the round remains live and waits for more players.
* If the Baron leaves a populated round, a player is randomly selected to become Baron Samedi immediately.  He continues as the Baron, with the previous Baron's power level, but does not inherit the previous Baron's frags unless he wins the round.  He will drop any weapons that are not part of his arsenal.  If he had the Golden Gun, it will respawn normally.
* A player may not choose the Baron Samedi avatar, as it is assigned specifically to the player playing the Baron.  When you are the Baron, you cannot change to a different avatar, but yours will be restored when you are no longer the Baron.  (In the case of an error, the default Bond avatar will be applied.)
* The Baron of a round will not be selected as Samedi at the beginning of the next round.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:16:34 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
Re: VC's Forge 90226: Live and Let Die
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:21:13 am »

Read the whole thing I'm proud of myself, it sounds good... real good.. and SO worth a try to get away from that LTK spam :D.. have fun coding it cus it sounds as if we're going to have LOTS of fun playing it.

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • steven_m64 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:51:36 am »

cant wait to try it.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:09 am »

You actually made a singleplayer mission fit in a multiplayer scenario. It sounds really good, but a bit complicated at first, since most people will just start running around looking for frags. Hope they read the instructions first. Great job VC.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:17:05 am »

oooo. i like. im always baron

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:24 pm »

WoW !!! Realy nice!!! Comming in B4 ?
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:48:31 pm »

3.2 if I can help it and if 3.2 exists, which it probably will.

I'm going to see if I can squeeze The Living Daylights in too, since no one else seems to care to remember it.  It'll never be played outside of LANs, but it should be there just for completion.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

I would actually like to play The Living Daylights. CFT is always good.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 04:33:53 pm »

Reminds me a bit of Juggernaut. Sounds pretty cool. How does the Baron get selected?

I remember reading this on the wiki a long time ago, you guys had some sort of Baron teleportation idea in place.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »

Baron selection is via a stock random number generator.  It will avoid picking the same player as Baron twice in a row when easily possible.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:55:50 pm »

This sound like an awesome game mod, more team play oriented games is always good.

The Living Daylights would be pretty cool. CTF might not only work on LAN.

WNxBIGBIRD

• Agent
  • WNxBIGBIRD has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »

Read the post, and it does indeed seem quite interesting. It's more than just your average FPS with this mode. It causes each player to make more strategic decisions; ie. teaming up or not.

If and when this does get implemented I am sure It'll be fun.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07:42 pm »

There is no if.  Currently, I just have a few features to add and I need a callback or two fixed.  Example: The callback for if damage should be applied doesn't say which weapon was used. I can work around that since the only special weapon behavior is for the AuG, and since it is managed with "special item" code I can detect it that way, but I shouldn't need to.

I'm also hoping to get method-of-death added to the Player Killed callback, so I can handle things like Falling, Console Suicide, and normal blow'd-ur-own-ass-up events.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 09:12:00 pm »

"more team play oriented games is always good."

Well, this isn't really team-play.  It's 1 v 1 v Everyone Else, really.

If anything it is similar to Zombie Panic in structure.  Everyone wants to run from Whitey McCarrier, and everyone's willing to throw anyone else under the bus to survive.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 09:30:17 pm »

Well, this isn't really team-play.  It's 1 v 1 v Everyone Else, really.

Although this game mode somehow encourages it. We will probably see team-play until the someone gets the AuG. After that, everybody will aim for the AuG carrier and/or the Baron.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up