GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 07:18:34 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Screen  (Read 8085 times)

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bissrok has no influence.
Death Screen
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:00:45 pm »

I'm guessing it's been mentioned before, but I couldn't find any topics on this. I was wondering if a new "death screen" was on the to-do list. Right now, you pretty much instantly get thrown back into the action. And in the original game, as you know, there was the blood, it'd fade to black, then it'd tell you to "Press Start".

Not that big of a difference, but it'd be nice to have to have a short delay before you manually tell it to respawn your character. You know, to give people a chance to reflect on why I killed them.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
Re: Death Screen
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:11:42 pm »

There wont be a press start black screen, but yes a more immersive death screen is in works for beta3

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:30:11 pm »

there are two option right now, and it depends on the server.

If the server has mp_forcerespawn on then you don't have a choice to reflect, but you get 3 seconds to watch the blood screen and ragdoll effects.

If its off, then you can chat and whatnot and see who killed you, change your character, etc. until you press the attack button again to respawn back in.

I refuse to put in a fade to black because you should be able to see the death notices and the chat.

Bissrok

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:48:17 pm »

I refuse to put in a fade to black because you should be able to see the death notices and the chat.

Is there any way to have the game fade to black, but not the text? I know Perfect Dark: Source has the fade to black/"Press any key" screen, but I don't remember if you can still see the death notices and chat or not.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:21:36 am »

How about instead of fade to black, make the blood effect more solid and make its z order behind every thing else.

BCKMTWKILLAHS

• Agent
  • BCKMTWKILLAHS has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:38:03 am »

just make the blood trickle down the screen like the gunbarrel in the opening sequences.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 04:57:33 am »

there are two option right now, and it depends on the server.

If the server has mp_forcerespawn on then you don't have a choice to reflect, but you get 3 seconds to watch the blood screen and ragdoll effects.

If its off, then you can chat and whatnot and see who killed you, change your character, etc. until you press the attack button again to respawn back in.

I personally hate the first one. You don't have any time to do or think anything before it throws you back in...

My views:
-Having the blood run down the screen. The red is slightly transparent so you can still see what's going on.
-Text still visible.
-Skip the black screen.

On our server, we have a nifty black and white screen thing when you're killed by someone. ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:59:57 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 06:33:54 am »

On our server, we have a nifty black and white screen thing when you're killed by someone. ;)

Which reminds me to see if I can get that to a red tint....

But the way its in Beta3 rite now is pretty awesome, and works perfectly.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Bissrok

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 02:19:49 pm »

Which reminds me to see if I can get that to a red tint....

But the way its in Beta3 rite now is pretty awesome, and works perfectly.

Good to hear. I mainly just didn't like instantly being thrown back into the action. Especially on an LTK server, where everyone's just constantly getting killing and respawning every half second.
Pages: [1]   Go Up