GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 05:41:57 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the scoring system be modified in any way for Beta 3?  (Read 18762 times)

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
Re: Will the scoring system be modified in any way for Beta 3?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 01:16:56 pm »

If I remember correctly (which I usually do), Iodle made the ranking system in 1.1x based on KDR so that people with a score of 27-4 get ranked higher than those with 29-21 (for example). Obviously this is slightly flawed with latecomers ranking high with lower kill counts etc.

No official release has a scoreboard based on KDR, always Kills. KM has established what is used in Beta 3.

If it bothers you that much, just take the personal victory of having the most kills, or whatever floats you boat.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 02:08:59 pm »

The ranking system was quick to implement as i didnt have much time to work on it. Monkey should come to the party with something good.

myrddin

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:07 pm »

I say keep the KDR in factoring the score, but also factor in time spent in the round. Simplest way to do this would be to take the KDR score and multiply it by the percentage of time the player was present for that round. If they were there at the start, then its no different than normal KDR, but the later they enter the round, the lower a coefficient they get for time.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 12:31:52 am »

I say keep the KDR in factoring the score, but also factor in time spent in the round. Simplest way to do this would be to take the KDR score and multiply it by the percentage of time the player was present for that round. If they were there at the start, then its no different than normal KDR, but the later they enter the round, the lower a coefficient they get for time.
And at the end, noone knows what the scoring system is all about.
It should be keept at overall kills, for ppl with the same score the lowest death count wins.

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 12:58:42 am »

Or we can go with the round-based gameplay that has already been implemented...

It allows people to win if they earned instead of what happened to me (had about a 40-20 score but got 1st place taken by some guy who just entered and got a score of 3-0) while still allowing people who enter in the middle of a match to have a shot at winning. A KDR system with time accounted for punishes these people, as well as a system that goes for overall kills. It's win-win.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 01:14:16 am »

Ingame rank would be cool but would require centralized stats servers.

Something like CS use to have with servers having a stat website that just read kills and shots from the logs would be cool though. Psychostats was the name if i can remember correctly

Serverhosts can already do this. A third party rank system like hl2stats. I know i saw some ges servers with rank in the past and what those give the user is enough.

Its overthetop to enable support for global, more specific stats, and right now impossible that we could provide the necesary provisions for it.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 01:37:19 am »

A third party rank system like hl2stats.
LOL, almost all 3rd party ranking systems are based on logs which are buggy in the current public build (yeah, that too).

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 02:42:02 am »

Completely new engine should be fixing that ;)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 01:08:04 pm »

Being in top of the scoreboard doesn't mean you are the winner in beta 1.1
and i think every1 will admit someone who has 40 kills had done better then someone with 3 kills, no matter the deaths.
But KDR isn't useless at all, it's pretty good for an overall ranking system, but for single matches it fails.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 06:50:01 pm »

I will see if I can post some goodies soon with our new and very fair scoring system. Have to get by papa fourtecks first ;-)

Artisan

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47:59 am »

Maybe I'm retarded, but isn't it just common sense that people coming in late will either have to kick ass, or generally not have a shot to win? I think most people joining half way through a map understand that they aren't' going to be winning, and they prolly don't care if they do win or not considering they didn't get a full map. The only thing that should determine if a player coming in late has a shot at winning, is his/her skill.

Okay, so if it's going to be a boxing match (winner of most rounds wins the fight/map), will there also be other match setup styles/scoring options? I'm assuming that's what Killermonkey meant when he said "...it can easily be disabled by servers by setting the round time = map time...".

And to me, that is perfect. I miss the days when FPS games were simple. Run, shoot, kill, die, spawn, repeat. The Delta Force series was the last of good simple FPS games. So I'm hoping what KM said meant there will be servers with a map rotation (1 round) and set to a time (20min 30min 45min). The winner is whoever has the most kills.

But, I suppose if you want to appease everybody, you can code in some sortable stats at the end of the match. If somebody wants to feel great about having the most kills, they can order the player list by kills. If they want to see who won by k/d ratio, they can organize for k/d ratio. Not too sure how hard that'd be, but providing a sortable stat window at end-game, would allow people to see who won for the various stats.

Anyway, I'm new here. And great mod. Played it for a couple hours tonight. Had a blast.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:49:59 am by Artisan »

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 08:51:54 pm »

Are their any end of round/game awards in beta 3. Similar to Where's the Armor? AC-10 Award. A kill to death ratio end of game/round award would be nice even if it is not used in the rankings.

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »

Maybe I'm retarded, but isn't it just common sense that people coming in late will either have to kick ass, or generally not have a shot to win? I think most people joining half way through a map understand that they aren't' going to be winning, and they prolly don't care if they do win or not considering they didn't get a full map. The only thing that should determine if a player coming in late has a shot at winning, is his/her skill.

While this is true, why not make it so they still have a good chance? This is actually quite a big crowd to appease to. Unless you start your own server, I'd imagine that every time someone loads up GES they'll have to enter a server that's already been playing for a while until the map changes and they can get a fresh start. While you may not expect to win, this sytem still gives you a good chance.

Artisan

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 09:27:10 am »

While this is true, why not make it so they still have a good chance? This is actually quite a big crowd to appease to. Unless you start your own server, I'd imagine that every time someone loads up GES they'll have to enter a server that's already been playing for a while until the map changes and they can get a fresh start. While you may not expect to win, this sytem still gives you a good chance.

I dunno, maybe we just know different FPS groups. Nobody I know would expect to be catered too when coming into a map late. And yes, most likely they'll be entering a server that's already been playing, but I think every FPSer expects and excepts this.They all know if they want a full map they'll most likely have to wait. But this generally isn't a problem as maps time limits are usually never stupidly long, and most people play through a few rotations anyway. So they come in half way through a 30 min match...they get a full fresh map in 15 minutes. I've been playing every FPS under the sun since Delta Force (multiplayer, that is), and this is the very first time I've ever heard it mentioned or suggested that something can be done to "give those coming in late a chance". For the most part, if they are good enough, and some players are, then they'll catch up...everybody knowing they worked their butt off for the win. I know I always got a kick out of coming in half way through a match and leading in kills by the end. I would have hated to have won undeservingly without having the skill or putting in the work.

I'm just odd that way I guess lol. It's like walking into a movie theater half way through a movie and expecting them to restart it for you, or otherwise "catch you up" to the people that have been there and put in the time since the previews. You just have to suck it up, enjoy what's left of the movie, and wait for it to replay when it's over.

Now, I have to problem with various win methods, but to me, it just makes since to have sortable stats, and players can arrange their "first place" by a number of categories. I personally like the "score" system, where you get points for a number of things you do, kills, kill/death ratio, knife kills, dying the least, headshots etc. But that comes more into play with more complex FPS games that have snipers, medics, vehicles, flag caps, etc. Which I HOPE Goldeneye Source doesn't become. Its charm is that it takes us back to the days FPS games were really simple gunfights.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up