GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 10:50:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One more player...  (Read 7198 times)

Comrade Tiki

One more player...
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:12:36 am »

The characters are all looking very well recreated. I remember the amazement shown when Boris's invincibility was revealed. But, in a game online, sometimes some generic characters are needed (beyond a scientist!).

I remember the best Goldeneye player model of them all. I always went straight for it...and frequently so did my friends. The Siberian Special Forces model, that infamous warm-suited enemy of "Surface". Can GE:S feel for me like 64 did without including this anonymous recruit? Probably not. (Then again half of playing back then was screen-watching!)

I feel that a slightly higher quality version of this guy would help tie the knot between the old deathmatch games and the new.

Semedi

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Semedi has no influence.
    • GNardone.com
Re: One more player...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:12:39 am »

We'd certainly like to get all the extra nameless characters into the game in due time. There are quite a few of them though, and there's only so many of us, so we'll see what comes of it.
Sims 3 Producer - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:50:35 pm »

Right now we are focusing on getting all of the main characters ingame, and then we are going to move on to the generics.  All of the main characters have either been completed, or are being worked on, and a few of the generics have been started.  I actually created the concept for the ssf, but put off working on him due to other areas of the mod needing attention.  Rest assured though, he will get done, most likely by me once I have time. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Comrade Tiki

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:36:56 am »

I'm glad to hear that you have already planned to include a good portion of the nonames used, and especially surprised that Konrad has already created the concept for him. I'm very patient, and entirely understand that getting the maps made and polished is important for playing the game in, and getting all of the weapons working is also vital for playing the game with!

Once Goldeneye: Source reaches that ready-to-play stage, though, I'll surely be anticipating those screenies! By the way, how exactly did you already make the concept!? Did you imagine little details that may have been neglected for the sake of system performance? I just don't personally see a way to conceptualize a new version of something existing which appears surprisingly simple.

[Psst, it's been said that it's also the best player model in Goldeneye due to the monochrome!]

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 07:09:20 am »

The ge64 models are a good starting point, but because they are so low res and lacking in detail, a better concept is needed.  For example, for all of our main characters, we pretty much ignored the game models, because as reference, they are pretty much worthless.  We looked to the movie to provide all of that detailed information so that we can then incorporate that into the models. 

The same thing applies to the generics.  We look to the game models to get a sense of the character, but then look to other references to actually create the models.  We refer back to the game models to make sure we keep the same style, but that is really the only way they are useful. For the ssf concept, I researched a bunch of different snow soldier uniforms and pictures, as well as snow soldiers from other games.  I combined the elements I thought fit the character best to create a rough idea of what the character would look like.
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Comrade Tiki

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:04:05 pm »

Well I must say I am impressed with your attention to detail and reality, thank you for doing an extensively good job on your models so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up