GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 19, 2024, 04:43:23 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice for a CS:GO map  (Read 10166 times)

FReXx

• Tareyu Eyre
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.
    • Youtube Channel
Notice for a CS:GO map
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:23:04 pm »

Hi dear community, I wanted to share this. My friend received a notice of $50,000 for a reproduction of a metro station in Montreal with me.
The news began to go around the world.

All this for the great game Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
We have been published in the Journal de Montréal and CBC yesterday.

Here is the article with the reason for the notice and a small preview of the map.
http://cbc.sh/eTmA0aP

http://www.youtube.com/v/O86xQboo0F4?hl=fr_FR&version=3

Give me your opinion.

Thanks you!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:48:48 pm by FReXx »
Released maps:
Download - Ge_Bunker_Nw - Updated for Ges 5.0

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Warning for a CS:GO map
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:39:30 pm »

Just remove all the logos and tell them to go fuck off.

FReXx

• Tareyu Eyre
  • 00 Agent
  • FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:19 pm »

I can't just remove logo... The architecture of the station are under copyright XD Total bullshit.
Released maps:

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »

+1

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:35:44 pm »

Alter the layout then, so it becomes a generic station instead of a certain one.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »

Wait so this is your map? Why did you contact/consult anyone related to the actual location regarding anything involving its existence? In the ultra paranoid world we live in ANYTHING involving a shooter type video game is condemned by public authority without rhyme or reason.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »

Yeah shouldn't ever model something after real life unless you own/have permission. When I use to map in CS:S I wanted to map my schools gym/locker rooms. But did some research, and its a BIG no-no.

Would suggest big architectural changes and at most use the "design inspiration" of the real station. People don't play games(no pun intended) when they think someone could be planning for a attack.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:31 am »

Damn, And I started mapping my old high school. It was getting along pretty well too.
Oh well.
I saw this in the Journal de Montréal and was amazingly surprised since I knew you was working on this, As I saw on your YouTube channel.

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:55 am »

I received a notice of $50,000 for a reproduction of a metro station in Montreal.

They want you to pay $50,000 because you began to mapped the metro station?
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:05 am »

I can't just remove logo... The architecture of the station are under copyright XD Total bullshit.

Change the location of a stair case or something.. remove the logos.  They can't do anything after that.

If you are a master painter and decide to paint a scene of the station and they sue you for that..  ya..
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:48 am »

Following up... I don't know Canadian copyright / trademark law, but I don't see how they can possibly fine you anything since you have not released the map. Reproducing something that exists physically in 3D and releasing a video of it is by no means a violation of copyright. You are certainly not making money off of a YouTube video showcasing work in progress. The metro is not being damaged by your video.

Again, I would seriously thumb my nose at those morons and remove the logos, change around some of the lighting and layout, and release the map calling it "Le Subway"

This was the fallback plan if GE:S ever received a cease and desist. We would remove all offending copyright and trademarks and release the game as a generic spy game. We have never made a single penny off of this game, not even with advertisements, so we could all say in very good faith that we are in fact in debt due to our work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:40:38 am by killermonkey »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 06:24:28 am »

so we could all say in very good faith that we are in fact in debt due to our work and education expenses.

FTFY :)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:12 am »

You somewhat imply that you are the author and were issued the C&D. Since you're not Diego Liatis, I can only assume in reality you are one of the people testing the map and you caught a lucky break with your video being embedded on the article. Correct?
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

FReXx

• Tareyu Eyre
  • 00 Agent
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 01:24:20 am »

They want you to pay $50,000 because you began to mapped the metro station?
Yep.

Change the location of a stair case or something.. remove the logos.  They can't do anything after that.

If you are a master painter and decide to paint a scene of the station and they sue you for that..  ya..
Actually this is what would be better to do. But Diego want it to be as similar as possible to the true station.

Following up... I don't know Canadian copyright / trademark law, but I don't see how they can possibly fine you anything since you have not released the map. Reproducing something that exists physically in 3D and releasing a video of it is by no means a violation of copyright. You are certainly not making money off of a YouTube video showcasing work in progress. The metro is not being damaged by your video.

Again, I would seriously thumb my nose at those morons and remove the logos, change around some of the lighting and layout, and release the map calling it "Le Subway"

This was the fallback plan if GE:S ever received a cease and desist. We would remove all offending copyright and trademarks and release the game as a generic spy game. We have never made a single penny off of this game, not even with advertisements, so we could all say in very good faith that we are in fact in debt due to our work.
Yeah it's a good idea but it will depend Diego Liatis is that it would be chosen because it is to him that I make.

You somewhat imply that you are the author and were issued the C&D. Since you're not Diego Liatis, I can only assume in reality you are one of the people testing the map and you caught a lucky break with your video being embedded on the article. Correct?
Yeah it's really me the author of the map. Diego Liatis is only the big boss of the gaming club nrkGaming. Have to use his name in case he'd have a lawsuit. So i'm safe with this...
Released maps:

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:51:14 am »

Don't release it publicly. Make some bs pr release stating discontinuation of production and just use it in your "gaming club".

Sucks to be Diego and face action, but well as you say he totally asked for it to be a replica station. I'm with KM that it seems a really weak threat to make and he could just call BS and say you're changing the layout and things out of respect for the architect, in case they continue pursuing.

Majors example of replicating schools and such (public buildings) is valid but only applies to felony charges and suspensions, rather than a violation of copyright resulting in fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up