GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 06, 2024, 06:26:38 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First 24 hrs. Impressions from ge64 fan  (Read 11116 times)

c t e

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • c t e has no influence.
First 24 hrs. Impressions from ge64 fan
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:33:28 am »

Hi guys!

So I was a huge fan of goldeneye on the n64. I loved it. I was unbeatable amongst everyone I knew. :)  I played the perfect darks afterward too, and loved them, but nothing made an impression quite like ge64.

That set me up as a fps freak. I got hooked on counter strike for a few years after that.  They have been my 2 fave shooters of all time.

I have not played any cs or hl stuff for a few years, but then I stumbled upon a video of ge source at the weekend. Wow, did it look good!

So yesterday I installed steam and download the mod... And here I am 24hrs later (about 8hrs play)....

I am truly stunned. When I heard rare had lost the licence for the 007 franchise, I was gutted. I love James bond!!!  Even with perfect dark, in the back of my mind I always had a small wish that there could have been a 007 2 by rare...

Well, my wish came true a decade later. This mod is that game.  Everything I wanted is here... Bigger, smoother, online... wow.... This all takes me back to feeling like a kid again ! xD

Drilling people in the head is so damn adictive in this. The pace is fast and frantic, just how I like it. The balance for me is just right.  my long forgotten ge tactics were slowly coming back to me today too. Map layouts as well.  It really feels like I'm playing 'goldeneye 2' on a state of the art gaming machine. it looks beautiful as well (I got my first real gaming pc a few months back - great timing!).

This mod is so hot lol. Like a delicious young temptress. I'm sure I will be dreaming about playing this mod tonight xD

from a huge fps fan I just wanted to say thank you to all the mod team. Every part of this game, from the carefully detailed + expanded maps to the incredible music score, just makes me smile  :)

I'm giving it 9.6/10. Incredible ge feat. Well done and THANK YOU!!!!!

Ps: sorry if my writting is at all messed up. In bed typing on iPod lol. Not so easy.  xD

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: First 24 hrs. Impressions from ge64 fan
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:13 am »

This mod is so hot lol. Like a delicious young temptress. I'm sure I will be dreaming about playing this mod tonight xD

I love you. Thanks for the feedback man, see you ingame!

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:24 am »

I just wet myself :D
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Josh [SLX]

• Wrestling game designer
  • 00 Agent
  • Josh [SLX] is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:16:01 am »

Can't take credit for very much, but that still made my day.

Glad to be of service. :P
Current Projects: Runway, Bunker, Aztec Textures

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:50:53 am »

Glad to see you appriciate our work, and best of all, KNOW HOW TO AIM! :p, glad to hear everything you said. We take pride in our work and greatly accept the generosity. Enjoy the game!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:35:59 am »

Welcome to the community.

We appreciate this sentiment so much, and are glad you are an n64 fan that loves what the team have accomplished. I say cheers to you, for taking our game in the spirit of fun and nostalgia it is designed to manifest in each player that loads up GE:S! Now all you have to do for us is keep on playing, and spread the news of your feelings to as many far and wide as you can ;)

<3

c t e

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:46:55 am »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D

I had another long session today.

I don't know if it's because games have moved on so much since the days of ge64... but In the back of my mind I expected to be somewhat dissapointed with a mod like this.  Maybe it's bordem I thought would quickly set in.  reason - I played the original to death... I just couldn't quite put my finger on what I was feeling...

Those fears have really been put to shame though.  With the state of GE progression you have here, this truly feels on par with the original multiplayer experince I once had on the n64 while clutching my little golden pad. 

Even though this is source based (and I know source quite well), I never get the impression I'm actualy playing a mod. I switch on (love the load intro vid by the way! ooh, and the server load window as well! Nice touch) and simply feel i am playing GOLDENEYE.  all Of course, with a fresh, new, interesting twist.

it just doesn't feel old is what I'm trying to say lol! xD And I shamefully thought it would when I was downloading it. I thought to myself "this should be fun for an hour or two". "bring back some memories". .... Now 12+ hours play later,  I feel hooked! The more I play and re-learn/learn, the more I itch to play again.  I had lost seriuos interest in first person shooters a while ago. Maybe they are too serious and over complicated these days (from the players perspective). This is gun blazing FUN from it's glossy exterior right to it's core.    Hooo'rraaa!

Today I started getting the balance of accuracy without aim mode.  I was feeling pleased with myself lol. It brought back fuller memories of my 64 days.  I played temple for the first time today too (several times lol). this was a favourite of mine from the 64.  Its so much fun with an extra 10+ people to kill or be killed by. xD 

I have a quick question if anyone can help? I tried searching the forum but I am non the wiser. I read the wiki today on gameplay etc. In the radar section it says you can set objects to be 'always visible'. When I'm on in the day there have only been a couple of people on. The radar is blank a lot of times. I can't find people lol! xD how can I switch always visible to ON? :/ it has me stumped.     

Ps: on iPod again. Sorry

pps: VOODOO!!

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 03:22:03 am »

Now 12+ hours play later,  I feel hooked! The more I play and re-learn/learn, the more I itch to play again.  I had lost seriuos interest in first person shooters a while ago. Maybe they are too serious and over complicated these days (from the players perspective). This is gun blazing FUN from it's glossy exterior right to it's core.    Hooo'rraaa!

Today I started getting the balance of accuracy without aim mode.  I was feeling pleased with myself lol. It brought back fuller memories of my 64 days.  I played temple for the first time today too (several times lol). this was a favourite of mine from the 64.  Its so much fun with an extra 10+ people to kill or be killed by. xD 

For reals, can we invest in cloning this fan?? :) I wants me some of that perspective.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:47:04 am »

The always visible feature is done by the gameplay, you cannot set that. There is a range to the radar, if contacts that are not flagged by the gameplay as "always visible" move outside that range they will fade and disappear on the edge.

c t e

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 11:28:04 am »

lol wake xD

...and thanks killer! No wonder I could not find an option  ::) cheers!!  ;D

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 02:45:33 pm »

For reals, can we invest in cloning this fan?? :) I wants me some of that perspective.

Especially after last night.
"why am i not getting points for killing people?"
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

c t e

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 04:09:48 pm »

i have been having some fun sessions these past few days.  straight death match is my fave mode though i have to say.   8)   i have just finished rocking some facility classic.  check the scores from my last two sessions (proud newb excitement!  ;)) ..  i lit up the board on the last one lol.  such a satisfying mod...   ;D  thank you guys!  GES FTW!!!

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 04:43:44 pm »

Achievement unlocked: Multiple Personality Disorder
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »

cheater :D
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 07:20:01 pm »

That screenshot is a fake, because I do not see the bottom of your screen flooded with:
uber1338mastah: OMG hacker!!11
B453|\/|3nT_Pr0Nz[ultra-KillaH]: Stop hacking asshole!
JamesBlunt: I just joined spectator and I saw that you used an aimbod, OMGz0rs!!!
etc....

You know what I am talking about ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up