GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 06:51:02 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimal firing rate ?  (Read 12709 times)

EricTerminator

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EricTerminator has no influence.
Optimal firing rate ?
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »

Hi all !

I'd like to know a few things to improve myself in GE:S and get that "The World is not enough" achievement !  ;D

First, how does the weapon spread work ? In GE64 and PD, the 1st shot was always right on the mark, so at very long ranges (for example the long hallways in Temple), firing short bursts then taking cover was optimal. In GE:S, I don't have that feeling, as if each bullet followed a gaussian distribution, even the 1st bullet. Am I wrong ?

Second, at medium range (15-50 meters in my opinion), do you have any advice on the firing rate you apply in order to kill the enemy at the fastest pace ? For example, the AR33 has a very high rate of fire, so if you can kill fast at medium range while saving ammo and reducing the time you spend reloading, it would be nice.

Third, the same question at long range (more than 50 meters, like in Cradle).

Fourth, did anyone of you paint some crosshairs in the middle of the screen ? I see some freaking accurate guys while running !  ;D

See you

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Optimal firing rate ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:31:27 am »

For all weapons, your first shot is at the maximum accuracy for the weapon. If you sustain fire, you will be at full-spread by #4.  This is modeled after 007 behavior.

The fastest you can kill someone is by striking the opponent's head whenever his invulnerability wears off.  Spamming decreases the gap between damages, but reduces accuracy and thus reduces the damage you will likely deal.   For AR33, you can kill anyone with three bullets to the head, which is quite feasible if you use your sights.  If you use burst fire you will obviously spend at least nine bullets to accomplish that.

Some people will lick a cheerio and stick it to the screen, according to legend.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:34 am »

Don't spam, aim for the head. Avoid open areas and LTK servers. And theres not need to dot your screen, use tracers.

EricTerminator

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:14:21 am »

Hi !

Don't spam, aim for the head.

Not sure it's the optimal aimpoint ; because of spread, it may be better to aim at the upper torso or neck in order to get some headshots, while some of the furthest shots, instead of missing the target if I aimed for the head, would instead hit the torso. I use to aim for that area on N64.

I think the best would be to fire the first 2-3 shots right at the head (because of the small initial spread), then slightly lower the crosshairs to the upper torso/neck area.

And theres not need to dot your screen, use tracers.

There are a few problems with relying on the tracers :

1) If you don't kill the target fast enough, it knows from where you're firing and potentially could kill you.

2) Tracers only appear when you fire, so your first shots may be off target if you can't guesstimate the middle of your screen accurately.

3) Weapons with a big spread aren't good for using tracers as an aiming device.

Right now, I'm using the flashlight to get the upper hand at close range, especially with shotguns, but you have to turn it off at long range, because it doesn't help you at aiming and gives your position away.

See you
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:11:45 pm by EricTerminator »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:35:34 am »

i never use the Flashlight, exept for fun. It has a very huge disadvantage of making you visible to your enemy even before he can see you.
Quote from: VC
Some people will lick a cheerio and stick it to the screen, according to legend.
Don't forget the ones using a Pin/Tack ;)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 12:16:15 pm »

Wow, I think we found a VC clone. VC I thought you told me you destroyed all of your cloning chambers, one escaped.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Eric. I agree, aim for the neck (if you can). I look forward to seeing you in battle this week!

EricTerminator

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:02 pm »

Wow, I think we found a VC clone. VC I thought you told me you destroyed all of your cloning chambers, one escaped.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Eric. I agree, aim for the neck (if you can). I look forward to seeing you in battle this week!

Yeah, I'll make some tests and see if my fragrate improves thanks to this technique. The problem is that I don't have top notch reflexes, and that I have some problems to evaluate the middle of the screen, so I'll use the flashlight if needed. And I ain't VC's clone ; he's my clone ! :P

Would be great if I get the "The World is not enough" achievement while playing vs good players (Already got Viashinowned, but not vs VC :D ). :)

Ah, got another question to improve myself ; if the bullet spread reaches the maximum after the bullet #4, how do we get to the minimum spread after that ? Do we have to stop shooting for a while (for example 5 seconds), then we can shoot again at max accuracy, or is it simply a condition that checks if it's a new burst ? Or another condition ? If it's the second one, one can simply fire a 3-4 rounds burst, release the trigger and repeat a burst as fast as you can release and reclick on the mouse...

See you
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:21:53 pm by EricTerminator »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:20:08 pm »

Aiming for the torso is bad if they are facing you. You'll wind up delivering limb shots that aren't worth beans.  It's better to fire three bullets, two over the head and one into the head, than hosing the chest, since miss-miss-head is full damage and limb-head-head is quarter-damage.

But then again, one limb strike is better than three misses, and you'd rather have limb-miss-miss-head than head-miss-miss-miss.  This is a game of skill, strategy, and situational awareness.  There is no golden ticket to winning other than being on the ball the whole round's duration.

Weapons cool down as fast as they build up.  AR33 and RCP90 spam-out and cool down quickly.  Klobb (which will be a recoiled weapon in Beta 4) will have a longer  period.

You didn't really think I'd overlook something so easily exploitable as breaking the attack for one frame to reset accuracy?  Of course, if KM screwed up the code...

The implementation is that each weapon has a recoil limit, R. When you fire, your recoil penalty goes up by R*2/3, up to R*4/3, and it decreases by R*1/3 * rate-of-fire.  So, if you spam, it is 0 on the first shot, goes to 2R/3, decreases to 1R/3 when the second shot is fired, goes to 3R/3, then 2R/3 for the third shot, goes to 4R/3, to 3R/3 for the fourth shot, up to the limit 4R/3, to 3R/3 for the fifth, and stays there.  If you tap-fired or scripted fire at the weapon's max rate, you get the same spamminess as holding the trigger. Only by skipping bullets will the recoil effect come back down.

Short controlled bursts. Just like the army boys say.  Well-governed tap fire will conserve ammo and keep the weapon more stable than spamming, but if you want the best accuracy from your weapon, use your sights and AIM while your weapon chills out.

Viashinowned is broken. KM forgot the win-round and ratio requirements because he never does what I tell him to do the first time, and we all suffer the consequences.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:31:56 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

EricTerminator

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:45:55 pm »

Hi !

Aiming for the torso is bad if they are facing you. You'll wind up delivering limb shots that aren't worth beans.  It's better to fire three bullets, two over the head and one into the head, than hosing the chest, since miss-miss-head is full damage and limb-head-head is quarter-damage.

But then again, one limb strike is better than three misses, and you'd rather have limb-miss-miss-head than head-miss-miss-miss.

Just to be sure, what are the different hitboxes ? If I say that a headshot gives 100% damage, do you get the following stats ?

- limb (arms and legs ?) : 25%
- torso (abdomen and chest ?) : 50%
- head (head and neck ?) : 100%

The only real doubt I have is whether the neck is considered a "head" hitbox or a "torso" hitbox. Anyway, I'm quite sure that on average, if the target is at midrange and you're not using a Klobb (I mean you get a spread's solid angle that is, I guesstimate, 2x or more the head's solid angle.), firing at the upper torso/neck area would result to a higher average damage output than purely aiming in the center of the head, simply because less shots miss the target while still making a high enough average damage per shot.

The implementation is that each weapon has a recoil limit, R. When you fire, your recoil penalty goes up by R*2/3, up to R*4/3, and it decreases by R*1/3 * rate-of-fire.  So, if you spam, it is 0 on the first shot, goes to 2R/3, decreases to 1R/3 when the second shot is fired, goes to 3R/3, then 2R/3 for the third shot, goes to 4R/3, to 3R/3 for the fourth shot, up to the limit 4R/3, to 3R/3 for the fifth, and stays there.  If you tap-fired or scripted fire at the weapon's max rate, you get the same spamminess as holding the trigger. Only by skipping bullets will the recoil effect come back down.

Short controlled bursts. Just like the army boys say.  Well-governed tap fire will conserve ammo and keep the weapon more stable than spamming, but if you want the best accuracy from your weapon, use your sights and AIM while your weapon chills out.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but consider this case. I name T the period between each shot at cyclic rate :

Time = 0T : Recoil before shot = 0, after = 2/3 R
Time = 1T : Recoil = 1/3 R
Time = 2T : Recoil before shot = 0, after = 2/3 R
Time = 3T : Recoil = 1/3 R
Time = 4T : Recoil before shot = 0, after = 2/3 R
Time = 5T : Recoil = 1/3 R
Time = 6T : Recoil before shot = 0, after = 2/3 R
e
t
c

So if my calculus is right, you get a rate of fire of half the cyclic rate while the game considers that each time you shoot, you have the maximum accuracy possible with your weapon...

Firing in controlled bursts would result in probably a higher volume of fire, but beyond a certain range, depending on the weapon's spread, the average damage output, i.e. the effective fire, would be higher. The only advantage at around that critical range, and of course below, is the fact you probably have a higher initial damage output.

See you

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:02:47 pm »

The hitboxes are simply Head, Chest, Stomach, R/L Arm, R/L Leg.  The ratios are 4:2:1.  As a matter of weapon balance, in 007, Stomach's zone was the same as limb, but since arms cover chest, Stomach is the same as Chest with non-9mm weapons.  Thus, rifle and shotgun gut-shots are okay, but SMG spam (including Phantom and RC-P90) doesn't pay the bills.  Aim.

The problem with aiming toward the chest is if the player is armed, he has his arms holding a gun before his chest, so you have a lot of limb area, very little chest, and a decent amount of head.

Assume Natalya has 10,000HP. (AC-10 indeed.)  If you fire your RC-P90 at her chest and spam a magazine, all shots striking limb becuase she's got her Klobb out, you do 292.5 damage.  Beta 3 timings, corrected Beta 4 timings is 225 damage.  If you aim for her head and tap a shot every second into her head, you deal 7,200 damage.

Correct; if you skip every other firing opportunity, you will preserve your accuracy.  If you fire a two shot burst, you will need to skip two to recover.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:04:32 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »

EricTerminator

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:11:05 pm »

The problem with aiming toward the chest is if the player is armed, he has his arms holding a gun before his chest, so you have a lot of limb area, very little chest, and a decent amount of head.

Thanks for reminding me that. The worst with that problem was in Perfect Dark while playing vs Dark Sims ; if a firing opportunity was available, all their shots would hit the chest even if you had a weapon, while if you tried to fire at them, some would hit their arms, and even worst, hit their weapon and deal no damage.  :'(

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:50 pm »

pd pd lol

We don't have a weapon box; but we have hat boxes. :D

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 04:36:09 am »

Of course, if KM screwed up the code...

No that was well coded

Viashinowned is broken. KM forgot the win-round and ratio requirements because he never does what I tell him to do the first time, and we all suffer the consequences.

Round Win should have been a requirement, but I nerfed that one by accident. The ratio would make your achievement about as impossible as Mayday's achievement, except only you would get it. I decidedly nerfed that requirement.

Maybe if you are nice to me I can make another achievement for you in which it will be nearly impossible to obtain... (you can inherit Mayday's haha)

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 05:54:43 am »

Only the worthy would get it. Instead you made it Everyone Gets A Ribbon Day.

eamonn

• Secret Agent
  • eamonn has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 02:08:42 am »

Even if I read this topic in the morning I won't understand what's going on.

Viashinowned is easy enough, but I still don't have The World Is Not Enough (my best is 5). The Mayday achievement is impossible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up