GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 27, 2024, 11:27:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Getting Pissed Off.  (Read 20310 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Getting Pissed Off.
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:48:18 am »

Sorry I was kinda late with this, I've been arranging for houseguests.

A terrible thing has been happening to me recently. I will shoot someone, they won't die, and I'll look at my netgraph and see something upsetting and yell this server sucks and F10.

We all know that tickrate is important. But the setting is the goal. If your server cannot handle 66 ticks, and starts to drag down like this highlighted value shows, your server is going to suffer terrible problems.  Bogus clientside blood because the player location warped a bit, interpolation buffers running out and making players jerk around, and all that fun crap.

Set your server to 50 or 33 ticks if your server starts doing this when firefights become large.  Also, adjust the rate control values in your server config appropriately. (Default 66 tick: 66/50; 50 tick: 50/33; 33 tick: 33/20)  Lowering player count can help, too, of course.  You're better off with a stable 33 or 50, than a 66 that suddenly plummets to the 40's.

Note that the netgraph figure is based on client received packets, other things can modify this value, but if your connection is fine, a drop in this value indicates the server is unable to keep up with its tickrate.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:44:23 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
Re: VC's Laboratory, February 10th, 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:53:49 am »

It's upsetting to see how some servers can't handle what they say they can.  If your server is 20+ slot, then make sure it can handle that without chugging down..

@VC
Where the hell is 90210 in the title?!

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:42:24 am »

you butt head haha you just had to do that in the tittle.. i told you i was gonna have to punch you for that, and don't think ill forget if we ever do a dev meet up haha.

looks like our biggest design issues stem from servers these days lol.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:43:39 am »

Grab your torches and pick forks boys.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:23 am »

looks like our biggest design issues stem from servers these days lol.

Allowing too many people in a server - this tickrate issue - i know there's more...

Time to start setting limits to certain things.. :-/

/grabs torch... anyone got a light?

UnKnown-Pain

• Secret Agent
  • UnKnown-Pain has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:31:24 am »

Agreed, it happens on most public servers. It still is yet to happen to me on mine, we will see.

BTW VC my server is windows based, Weapon binds galore :/

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:07:04 pm »

I feel very little concerned about tick on 16+. Noobs wants spammy servers? Fine, shit tick. If you want a steady tick, then use 10 men servers, those providing true GE gameplay.

Title is made of fail btw.

UnKnown-Pain

• Secret Agent
  • UnKnown-Pain has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:07:14 pm »

Meh mine shot down to 40 today perhaps setting it to 50 would be a better idea. On the average server when the player count exceeds 8 the tick tends to take a pounding.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:11:19 pm by UnKnown-Pain »

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:32:30 pm »

Maybe they're just overrunning the upstream on their ADSL. :)
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:06 pm »

Update on the tick issue:

KM has identified the radar as the most-likely cause of the server performance problem.  The upcoming server patch will address this with an optimized revision of the radar code.  Here's hoping that's the only problem.

Disabling radar in 301 will not improve performance, because the radar option only controls the graphic.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:40:59 am by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »

VC speaks the truth and finally without embelishment! In 3.1 coming out next week, disabling radar will put your server at a tremendous performance savings compared to now.

With radar on, the performance will be on average to TF2 unless you play complex classic with 24 people then performance will equal now.

This is the dumbed down version. If I get time I'll post the technical details on my blog at some point.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:41:04 am by Viashino Cutthroat »

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
Re: VC's Laboratory 90211
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 05:55:29 pm »

title fixed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:48:02 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: VC's Laboratory 90211
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:38:32 pm »

So I am guessing there is no way to get the radar to work flawlessly and not make such a drastic performance difference when it comes to playing with and without the radar on a server?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:46:03 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Re: VC's Getting Pissed Off.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 06:47:45 pm »

Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
Re: VC's Getting Pissed Off.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 07:20:07 pm »

This is all mute, just bunker down for the patch probly less than a week. It will make ticks better.

Nobody needs to act bitter that there are servers who host over 16 tho. The worst thing servers can do at the moment is host small maps on large playerlimits. Server tailoring is the issue and could be better educated. You dont just blanket the issue by saying goldeneye: source cant handle over 16.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up