GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 09:29:19 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping and speed  (Read 11605 times)

Lepretr0n

Jumping and speed
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:11:26 pm »

When i downloaded this i was hoping on getting the true goldeneye experience, instead, I got an average sourcemod. You can turn, and run up stairs much more than in the n64 version, and you can jump. In my opinion, this takes away from a good FPS. I find it pretty annoying when I try to shoot someone, but their jumping around like a god damn monkey, its annoying, not to mention unrealistic.

I'm just wondering if jumping and generally fast controls will be kept until the final release. But I still really enjoyed it, and its a wonderful idea.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
Re: Jumping and speed
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:18:28 pm »

jumping is a server variable and can be turned off
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:03:37 pm »

Speed is actually pretty close to canon.

As for jumping, I wouldn't mind a sort of stamina system... I will explain in Dev Land and see how it sticks.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:26:23 am »

It feels faster, because the levels are slightly bigger than the original, so movement speed is slightly faster as well.

Lepretr0n

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:59:30 am »

Actually, I was mostly referring to the turn speed.

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 06:05:13 am »

That can't be helped.  Since mouse became the turning device, fixed rotation rates have been eschewed.  To limit player rotation would be as well-received as tapping the forward key once for each step.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:56:54 am »

just adjust your mouse sensitivity to the way you want it then. other people will rock your socks off though if you make it to slow hehe.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:25:09 pm »

1. Jumping: Always behind closed doors has been this discussion about jumping. Those that believe just making it a variable [of ON or OFF] at base is the answer, and those that believe certain limits on the ge_allowjump 1 variable also could help give a well rounded experience for everyone.

2. Speed: with regard to speed, there is currently a big difference between the internal game that we test, and what beta [1.0/1.1h] versions have as running speed.

I feel the team have tweaked the speed into an "optimal" state at this point. Of course the fans individually will agree or perhaps feel differently based on many factors when they play it. Its my view I doubt any fan has gone as scientifically into the dynamics of speed vs. PC vs. map size, as much as the collective team has over 3 years. If you end up not agreeing, we are sorry but its definitely something which was worked on enough that our result outweighs your perspective.

I mean that in the most respective way.

p.s can ppl please put discussion like this in the relevant thread for opinions on what fans want from beta3 version. No need to make a whole new thread cluttering this board when one exists here ; http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,2325.0.html

UnKnown-Pain

• Secret Agent
  • UnKnown-Pain has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:55 pm »

That can't be helped.  Since mouse became the turning device, fixed rotation rates have been eschewed.  To limit player rotation would be as well-received as tapping the forward key once for each step.

Agreed, if played speed was reduced it would make the game play crap. TBH i would rather it was turned up a notch only very very slightly.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:35 pm »

Well, the speed is on the slow side of canon, but again; because of motion 'techniques' in GES, the average works out about right.

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:13:32 pm »

Like people have said before... You use the mouse, thus why the turning speed isn't going to change. Nothing worse than your turn speed being limited to a set speed on mouse controls. It should work as fast as you can move the mouse, like every FPS in existence for the PC Thus far that use the mouse for input in some form.

As for Jumping, that can be easily disabled on the server. Just contact the admin of the server and ask for jumping to be disabled.

As for running speed, it's almost the same as the Real game.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 02:32:38 am »

I quite enjoy the addition of jumping to the game, but, each to their own.

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Bissrok has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 12:43:32 am »

My problem with jumping is that people use it to avoid damage while still being able to attack. And, in real life, if you jump straight up in the air during a gun fight 1) you're not going to go very far up and 2) you're not going to be able to aim and you're shot is going to be way, way off if you do fire. My solution would be to allow jumping (since it's still very helpful for clearing obstacles), but disable attacks while doing so (afterall, you're only in the air for about a second). Of course, I'm sure that the bunnyhoppers will hate the idea. But, then again, I'm not sure they're literate, so I guess I don't have to worry about them too much.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:10:28 am »

I would hate to miss an attack opportunity because I can't hop and get my line of fire over something stupid like a railing or crate, but denying attack while jumping may be a good idead.  We've discussed Rocket Launcher a bit, and players will not be able to fire it while hopping around.  Implementing that across the board wouldn't be much more trouble.  Or, perhaps only non-gun weapons would be allowed while in the air, so melee, mines, and grenade would be allowed.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 01:25:56 am »

That makes sense.
That's like how the AIs in GE007 are able to do forward rolls across the ground with a rocket launcher.
That don't work...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:47:35 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up