GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 27, 2024, 07:56:33 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch to CryEngine 3 and make the mod standalone?  (Read 15988 times)

Koba

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Koba has no influence.
Switch to CryEngine 3 and make the mod standalone?
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:56 pm »

I was wondering if there is any chance of abandoning the old and busted Source Engine and switch over to the new hotness that is CryEngine 3?
Besides CryEngine 3 being light years ahead of Source it would help us get rid of the most annoying obstacle for playing this mod: The requirement of purchasing a game from Valve to get Source SDK 2007.

terps4life90

Re: Switch to CryEngine 3 and make the mod standalone?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »

That most likely won't happen due to the amount of work they have already put into the Mod using the source engine. I could be wrong, if i am, could a developer please correct me.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »

The requirement of purchasing a game from Valve to get Source SDK 2007.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mod is free now thanks to TF2. It comes with the SDK. I think that was mentioned somewhere but I don't recall where.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:47:48 pm »

These are the games that come with Source SDK: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=16
As you can see the free to play version of TF2 is not among them.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »

CryEngine is a piece of shit though.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 175
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:21:01 pm »

I totally agree that the Source Engine is old and busted. We developers have to deal with Valve's proprietary file formats, countless bugs and outdated/lacking features. Even if Valve came out with a totally new engine tomorrow it's not fair to leave us in the dark for so long. For those reasons and others I've pretty much switched to working with the UDK and Unity.

Turning GE:S into a standalone game for a modern engine would be wonderful, but I just don't see enough interest right now to warrant all the work it would take. All the maps would have to be redone as would the programming. All the developers would need to take time out of their busy lives to learn new software and standards.

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »

SDK is free now, you don't need to buy a game to get it (or will be, as per Valve). Switching to CryEngine also limits the audience for the mod, since it's system requirements aren't as scalable as Source.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:58:27 pm »

No the Source SDK is not free now, it requires a paid game. See my previous post.

But about the CryEngine itself. I'm not saying you guys drop everything and switch now. I'm only asking to hear your opinions on it, and whether or not it is possible to use it to make a better GoldenEye game. I understand it takes a lot of work but if the CryEngine 3 picks up any steam (not Steam) it's possible that you also would attract new talents.

I think the engine is really good, it's definitely not a piece of shit as someone commented earlier.

terps4life90

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »

It does not require any purchase to receive sdk base 2007. It is now free. Feel free to read the Goldeneye Source homepage.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 07:01:46 pm »

It seems you are right about that. They sure like to hide that information.

But my main point stands. I would like to see GoldenEye become standalone and use a more modern game engine.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »

nahhh, no cryengine

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:02 am »

I've been meaning to study UDK and have been toying with the idea of porting elements of GE:S over to Unreal 3 as a learning exercise. The unreal engine is free for noncommercial projects, such as our own :P

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:28:33 am »

I'm pretty sure if we ever switched engines it would be to UE3. CryEngine, while it's got some nice shaders, does not come close to the openness, support, and modding opportunity on UE3.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:43:27 am »

And you can wait for the Unreal Engine 4 to be released in the upcoming years. I'm sure that it wouldn't be readily available right away though for general use. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:47:35 am by Ruone Delacroix »
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:00:12 am »

CryEngine sucks, why would we use that?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up