GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 27, 2024, 06:26:13 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Zoom control while aiming (KF7,AR33,Sniper Rifle)  (Read 3349 times)

Player1srb

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Player1srb has no influence.
[Suggestion] Zoom control while aiming (KF7,AR33,Sniper Rifle)
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:18:08 pm »

First, I'd like to congratulate you guys for reincarnating one of the best classic FPS games, and you did it in a fantastic way! So far, I've seen you payed attention to a lot of details, as from the good old N64 game and from the actual movie, and you managed to pack it into the Source engine - it turned out brilliant! ;)
I've been following this mod once in a while for years, but my first test-play was when 4.1 came out. I'm not much into playing BETA versions, and besides, I don't have any original game so I can download SDK from Steam. I borrowed my friends Steam account to play this, because he has the original Orange Box. I know I can download games from Steam for a few bucks, but I live in Serbia, and if you're familiar with how in deep shit this country is, you'd realize we can't even order stuff from eBay or Amazon. :) Ok, enough of that, let's get to the point now.

- As we all know, in the original N64 game, whenever we hold KF7 Soviet, AR33 or Sniper rifle, while pressing the aiming button, those weapons zoom in. But even then, with yellow arrow "up" and "down" buttons, we could increase or decrease level of zoom. I don't remember for the first two, but I'm sure Sniper could zoom in a bit more. I think this feature (for example, using the scroll wheel) would come in handy very much, especially when using the Sniper rifle, because it zooms in to the max, and it's very difficult to aim, if the area is smaller than something opened like Cradle or Runway.

I remember, around 2 months ago, Wake was playing with us one night and I mentioned that to him, I think he said that maybe there already is a post with this suggestion, so if there is, just let me know, and I'll delete this one.

The reason I'm posting this 2 months later is that I had problem with registration here, I couldn't receive the confirmation email, but finally, I got that fixed. :)

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
Re: [Suggestion] Zoom control while aiming (KF7,AR33,Sniper Rifle)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:52:21 pm »

I think that's its a pretty good idea. And what's strange is that my friend was just talking about that the other night too. It would be nice as you said for smaller/less open maps so that you can pop up the crosshairs for a quick kill.

+1 Support
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:37:47 pm »

It was only the sniper rifle that had this variable zoom. The KF7 and AR33 had fixed zoom, so at the moment the KF7 and AR33 were just as they were.

As for the sniper rifle, I believe it was decided to have a fixed zoom for the sniper in multiplayer because it played quicker and helped to balance it out as a long range weapon, making it less of an all-purpose weapon, it's more difficult to use it in close-medium range...

*waits for VC*
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:23 pm »

It has been discussed a few times over the years.

The gain is a small piece of configuration-freedom.

The loss is adding two more buttons, more code (that fights with Source's idea of how player FOV should work over the internet), and having to teach most players about the feature, just so the one weapon with which zoom is actually significant can be slightly more flexible.

Low priority.

Quote from: Impatience
*waits for VC*
Quote from: Speed-bump
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Wait a few minutes longer, next time.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:35:23 pm »

What if it was set up so if you bring up the crosshairs, then you can hit a button to toggle between the zoom and non-zoom? I know that it probably would be too much work to implement for just one gun, but it would only require one button instead of two. I don't know the inner working of the source engine and the programming, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see the response.

It may just be a bit much to do overall though.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »

There is a toggle.  Release the button.

Yes, it is two buttons.  +aimmode and this meddlesome trigger.  Do you want to zoom in to zoom out?  Or try to zoom and have it still in default FOV mode?

Also, if you didn't notice, zoom effects are server-confirmed, and thus subject to lag.  The fewer FOV changes the better.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Player1srb

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Player1srb has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »

It was only the sniper rifle that had this variable zoom. The KF7 and AR33 had fixed zoom, so at the moment the KF7 and AR33 were just as they were.
Yeah, I checked now, you were right.

The loss is adding two more buttons, more code (that fights with Source's idea of how player FOV should work over the internet), and having to teach most players about the feature, just so the one weapon with which zoom is actually significant can be slightly more flexible.
Yeah, well, I don't know coding, but I understand how much could be pain in the butt if glitches appear. :)

By the way, while I was playing original GE just now, I noticed one more thing. Sliding slow doors (i.e. the brown ones at Facility), when closing, can be interrupted by pressing the action button so they switch back to opening. In GE:S I have to wait for them to close completely so I can open them again. That waiting got me killed many times. :D Did you discussed about that feature maybe?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:27:43 am »

Here's the coding issue:

Source doesn't deal with dynamic key assignments well at all. Basically, a key assignment is nearly set in stone no matter what. That means I can't make a special exception for the mouse wheel when you have the sniper rifle without a significant amount of code to support that.

This basically forces us to make two dedicated keys (or one as discussed above) just for one weapon. And as VC said, not only is the unintuitive, it isn't worth it for us in the long term.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 03:37:33 am »

Interrupting the door motion cycle means trolls will jam them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up