GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 28, 2024, 07:26:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet  (Read 10189 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:32:03 am »

http://www.techspot.com/news/42321-mpaa-threatens-to-disconnect-google-from-the-internet.html

"Why so serious MPAA?"  lol!

This is just funny. Mpaa will never never win. Google is already bigger than hollywood. It's like trying to take down a tank with a pistol, it wont happen.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
Re: MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:26:32 am »

It looks like it's more of an automated message than an attack at Google. It says lower in the article that they contact ISPs and just send out these warnings. If they were really serious about it they probably would have worded it differently.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:41 am »

I download illegal files on open wifi networks on a routine basis. It is trivial matter to get out of a legal case involving these goons, simply remove the wifi encryption off your router and claim someone else downloaded it on your connection. Unless they can prove you physically did it, they don't have a leg to stand on (helps to conveniently do your annual format when the cops show up ;-) )

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:38 am »

This is why studios really need to focus on making blu-ray movies the best they can, and full of content. If you make a quality product and the movie is good people will at least rent it, if not buy it. Even if they HAVE watched it illegally, that may aid in their choice to own or rent the title in its full home video presentation

Anyone could rip these movies, stopping it at this point is like stopping the man-made climate change argument, but they won't be ripping as good quality as could be displayed on a proper TV with lossless audio and all the features.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »

This is exactly it wake, i have 2TB of films on my PC, yet i still buy the same films on bluray because its worth it for the quality.

Same for games, not good enthralling online play? youre not getting my money...

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »

Maybe if they sold blue ray quality that I could download and do as I please with there would be no need to pirate just so I can use the shit i buy...

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:02 pm »

Maybe if they sold blue ray quality that I could download and do as I please with there would be no need to pirate just so I can use the shit i buy...

Radiohead did a "name your own price" online download for their album In Rainbows, and they made more money (even with people choosing $0.00) than they would have if they had gone through a record-company.

Perhaps the movie industry should think about doing the same thing.

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:08 am »

Radiohead did a "name your own price" online download for their album In Rainbows, and they made more money (even with people choosing $0.00) than they would have if they had gone through a record-company.

Perhaps the movie industry should think about doing the same thing.
I'd be happy enough if the price of a Bluray topped out at $25 bucks instead of starting there. They'll never go 'pay what you want', it doesn't make sound business sense for them.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:09:37 am »

it doesn't make sound business sense for them.

Neither does continuing to deny their customers the ability to play movies, music, etc that they legitimately paid for on any device they want. What's it to the MPAA if I want to play my song on my Droid X or my laptop or my desktop?

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 04:38:18 am »

Neither does continuing to deny their customers the ability to play movies, music, etc that they legitimately paid for on any device they want. What's it to the MPAA if I want to play my song on my Droid X or my laptop or my desktop?

exactly.

Fuck the mpaa, riaa, fuck them all.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:30 am »

Quote from: KM
What's it to the MPAA if I want to play my song on my Droid X or my laptop or my desktop?
That would be RIAA, since it's a song, and what they want is for you to lease a license for three devices.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »

I'd be happy enough if the price of a Bluray topped out at $25 bucks instead of starting there. They'll never go 'pay what you want', it doesn't make sound business sense for them.

I tend to agree. I usually have to wait 6 months for a title to go below my 20$ single title limit (I don't mind going to 50-70$ for trilogy sets etc), or I keep an eye out for one off specials on places like amazon.

And I guess technically you could rip blu-rays KM, but I know thats a hassle more than just downloading a device ready copy.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:29 pm »

The standard of movies today is low in my opinion compared to the 80's and 90's, at least they were original back then. This is the most unoriginal time period in history without a doubt, I personally have no problem buying great films on DVD, I prefer to have a nice collection that I can be proud of, I have all the classic stuff from the 80's and 90's, not to mention all the sitcom's on DVD as well. But I rarely buy anything these day's, and I'm quite frankly fed up with the never ending pointless remakes... What's next... A Goonies remake, don't even bother.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:59:32 pm »

It makes sense when you look at it economically.

Hollywood is pretty well locked down into a monopoly structure.  It is fragmented between MPAA, SAG, etc., but you're either inside the system or you are indie, and if you are indie, you will be climbing a mountain to compete and if you succeed, you will be absorbed by the system because it will want to suck your blood and will pay you handsomely for the priviledge.

Monopolies naturally price to maximize their own profit, which creates a deadweight loss to society since in all but strange coincidental cases, the point of maximum profit won't be the equilibrium price of the perfectly competitive market.  Not only does this affect things like DVD prices, but it affects the product itself.

Making an original film is more expensive than filming a re-make.  The original film takes work to develop and write, and then you have to promote it and hope that it is popular enough to make a profit.  A remake is cheap; most of the work is done.  You just hire some names, revise the old script to include product placement in the form of handheld cellular telephones and include a token black/woman/both actor that is popular at the moment, punch up some special effects for the trailer, and the original work's popularity will promote this for you.  High profit thanks to low costs, even if the film does not perform well at the box office or rental service.

The deadweight cost here is your opportunity to see an original film being thrown away so they can produce fodder for a future Nostalgia Critic Old Versus New reel.

Perhaps part of their motivation is concern that the technology to be a well-received indie is developing rapidly enough to become a threat.  I don't think that it is; Flash has been around for a very long time, now, and despite Newgrounds giving people a place to showcase, there are very, very few Flash videos that are truly works of art.  Even with a Hollywood SFX studio coming into your computers via BitTorrent, only about 0.01% of films made with it will make you say "holy shit," just like how only 0.01% of Flash videos both push the medium to its limits and present a work that is worth viewing.  The rest is/would-be amateur hour and chaff.

Now, stepping back to music.  Yes, music is a more-open environment.  It is very possible for one guy at home with a computer to knock out two excellent albums a year with pro-grade mastering, turning a real profit measured in dollars instead of pennies, selling both digital and physical media to his fans.  But, that only happens if the public knows who that guy is.

Radiohead turned big numbers with their tip-jar system because:
* Lots of people know about Radiohead, because they were introduced through The System.
* Lots of people like Radiohead, because they make better music than the other bands introduced through The System.
* Lots of people want more Radiohead, enough to look for more Radiohead.
* Fans of Radiohead, the ones who will buy branded merchandise, like shirts, stickers, and mouse-pads, see the tip-jar as another way of supporting the band, and will give various-degrees-of-generously because despite the opportunity to take the music for free, by paying, they become a part of the band.  It's the same effect as charity drives where you pay for something trivial like cookies or lemonade.

It would not work for Name Of Unknown Band In State Of Your Choice because they aren't established like Radiohead is, and that is where the big vision of a world where anyone can make it big in music with a computer and a microphone falls apart.  One, you must somehow bootstrap yourself amidst countless other musicians with the same hope, motivation, and goal as you.  Two, you all are competing for the same dollars.  Of course, each potential buyer has different tastes, but each potential buyer has only so many dollars they're willing to spend on music, and dividing the competition by genre doesn't change the fact that you're amongst thousands fighting over any given fistful of pocket change.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:45:15 am »

Yeah VC, I still think if a band is an emerging artist, with some good critical review, and being promoted around, they should offer their album for a few dollars less because then they sell more albums, which is a good marketing ploy for album #2, and def for me Itunes ability to preview each song on an album is invaluable.

I only buy bands where the music literally moves me... not like cry or whatever. I mean where it gets in me and makes me feel something substantial inside, either the sound of the music or a combination of the types of songs and lyrics, and where I wanna listen to at least 4 of their songs in a playlist all that week.

For instance...Ben Folds does not move me, but I'd say a handful of catchy song appear from time to time, and I just acquire most of his music I liked over the years. Same with coldplay, I like some of it, but I wouldn't say it moves me.

Where as, One Dollar Short, a band who disbanded some years back now, I owned all their albums even though I had the internet and could of just did what I do. Because it was something special to me. Similarly, Chevelle. I like basically 80-90% of their music. Whatever I consider to be unique bands within genres, or the best bands/artists within the genres. That's who gets my money.

At this point, I trial everything, which isn't much. I watch youtube uploads to try discover some rare gems. Mostly, I despise the current crop of artists and the directions they are taking.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:49:32 am by Wake[of]theBunT »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up