GoldenEye: Source Forums

• May 16, 2024, 01:18:44 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just question a way to tell an in direct story about GE:S  (Read 3855 times)

little 00

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • little 00 has no influence.
Just question a way to tell an in direct story about GE:S
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:09:22 pm »

reintroduce some of the beta 1 and alpha maps to show how GE:S became what it is over the years
please comment

think it would be a good way to remember nick?

Let the source be with you (Goldeneye source)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Just question a way to tell an in direct story about GE:S
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:26:35 pm »

You mean have alpha versions of the maps available in GE:S too?

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I wouldn't really want to see things like ge_cradle_alpha in servers... as if there's not going to be enough maps when the others are complete. If people want to see those maps they can always get their hands on the alpha.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »

No I think he means tell the history of GES by showing how maps and stuff have changed over the years

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:19:50 am »

Well I wanted to do that with the wiki. Sorta have recaps of the changed between releases, but for some reason people didn't like me bringing up stuff about the alpha :/

Maybe when school is finished for me in 2 weeks I can re-install everything and add alot more to the wiki articles regarding this.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:08 am »

Not to mention the long lost Beta2 ;)
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:36:55 am »

I've got to be honest and say any initiative to recap history in that kind of specific will not be pushed into news posts. It is not important to the modding community to know what alpha had and see how alpha looked and even learn of our shortcomings. I've always mentioned history and I think its important to remind people how long we have been slaving on this project. And the last video had that intro which was good at summing up the progress of our releases.

So I think its awesome that JcFerggy will go into more depth with this type stuff for the wiki, but that is as far as it should belong :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:38:57 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:36 am »

I always liked the facility and backzone map from beta 1 and maps like bunker_stinky, but i don't miss the old cradle.
So i cannot clearly say yes or no. Instead i'd like to list pros & cons:

+ nostalgic feelings of long time GES players
+ some maps like bunker are still missing a new version
+ the sewer in facility really helped the flow of the map

- due many changes in the assets, a lot of stuff would have to be included into the .bsp
- recompiling of the maps would be neccessary in order to avoid naming conflicts with the current versions
- it could cause confusion if there are two allmost identical maps
- someone would have to put a lot of freetime into converting these maps
- the original creator might be against the reappeareance of his old map, since the changes were made to improve the map.
- some maps are allmost ready to reappear in the next release.

Sadly a lot of cons and i'm sure i missed out a few things as well.

I'd absolutly vote for third party maps which were never remade for beta 3/4 (ge_bunker_stinky, ge_4towers, ge_stack_doc, pd_area52, nf_fortknox, and a few more i missed out), but no for all thouse maps that have a beta 4 version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up