GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 29, 2024, 11:12:27 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I love it but...  (Read 3181 times)

Oddjobb

I love it but...
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:03:27 am »

I feel this mod is a great idea and is coming through very nicely only problem I see is the lack of servers and testing. I myself have been through the lists and lists of tours creating a dedicated and I haven't found any to work. The lack of test servers is kind of annoying but I find it very fun when I do see one up. Great Job on the game so far. All I ask is anyone who knows how to make dedicated's please keep them up, Thanks.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
Re: I love it but...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:01:59 am »

Things will change soon..
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:11:43 am »

Right now i can see 16 servers on beta 3.1
Make sure you got the right version installed.
Uncheck the "show maplist" and don't use any filter settings and you should see the same servers.
If not, browse for the servers with the steam server browser.

Setting up a dedicated server is very possible, if you fail the error might be on your end.
First of all, you should tell a little more about what you tried.
Did you try to set up a dedicated server on your local machine?
Did you use the steam dedicated server, or did you try to set up a DS through a seperate install of srcds.exe?
Also what commands did you use after you started the server?

A few general hints:
- open the neccessary ports for a source DS
- check your firewall settings.
if you use ZoneAlarm, you have to set the internet security mode to middle, if it's on high other PC's will not be able to see your PC and they have to, if they wanna connect.
(i guess same applies for other FW's)
- once you started a server, make sure you enter a few commands in the console:
sv_lan 0 (otherwise it's a LAN only server)
heartbeat (something like saying hello to the master server)
changelevel ge_facility (any other map would do too, the vital thing is to change the map before a server will become visible from the internet)

If done everything correctly, the server should appear in the internet Tab of your server browser.

czarofthefrozentundra

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • czarofthefrozentundra has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:51:28 pm »

So I had a similar problem.  I went to setup my server to play last night (I have introduced about 10 people to this mod, and we have played numerous times on my server before).  I usually run the server on my machine, and all my friends and family members connect to it to play.  Last night I typed in the following commands in the console:
sv_lan 0
changelevel ge_facility (or any map)

The problem is, my server now never switches from LAN to internet.  I just tried adding the "heartbeat" text before changing the level, but still stuck on LAN.  I had to have a friend come over, use his account on my laptop and then run the server off the laptop, which you can imagine caused a lot of jumpiness and lag.  Not sure what to change or where to go from here, but I'd like to be able to host again.

Any ideas?

For the record, I have:
1) opened the firewall
2) opened ports on the router
3) hosted an internet server prior to yesterday
4) am using the server function found in the GES game itself

Is there any way to make internet servers default rather than LAN?  I will probably never use LAN, or at least 10 times less than the internet server, since my brothers both live in different states than I do.  I'd like to have this ironed out before inviting a bunch of people to play again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:53:26 pm by czarofthefrozentundra »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:06:06 pm »

sv_lan is set to 1 by default in all Source games for creating local servers. I don't think there's a way around it.

You should only need to set it to 0 and change map to get a local internet server working.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »

Sometimes changing twice is needed, but i hear you, sometimes I just cant get a server to go internet. Check to make sure your ports are open!

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »

Sometimes nobody is on a public server, then I join, pick up some weapons and spray around and then suddenly somebody else sees that someone is only... You start to PvP, another person joins, and before you know it you playing with 16 people in a server in 10 minutes... I also noticed that a lot of people play at certain time intervals at certain days. It's mostly in the evening (+1 GMT 17:45?)

czarofthefrozentundra

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • czarofthefrozentundra has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:34:18 pm »

The weirdest thing is that I have run the server countless times with no problems.  Then, when I couldn't run it from my normal machine, I ran it from my laptop with another guy's account behind the same router, so it isn't a port thing.  As far as I remember, the only thing I have really changed on the computer between last time and this is graphics card drivers, but that doesn't affect the network stuff.

I did have this issue where the console wouldn't come up, so I modified the properties in steam to have the console pop up when the game starts, but I can change maps and do everything else.  Just the sv_lan 0 command is not working ..... strange.

EDIT:
Figured it out.  Router issue.  Port forwarding to the wrong computer.  Doh!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:13:26 pm by czarofthefrozentundra »
Pages: [1]   Go Up