GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 20, 2024, 07:55:17 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: [Dev's Ask Fans] What do you want in Beta 4?  (Read 154387 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: [Dev's Ask Fans] What do you want in Beta 4?
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »

double0killa, a 2/5 of your points will NEVER be fixed or implemented. (#3 and #5) because of two distinct reasons:

1. This is an internet multiplayer game, you can NEVER have 100% perfect hit detection, it is impossible

2. We vetoed body armor damage, its not a strategy when you play against more than 4 people

double0killa

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • double0killa is looked down upon.
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2009, 09:25:19 pm »

agreed. but not all game have to be more than 4 players. but yea i understand the logic of it all. i was just wondering if it would at all be implemented. as for hit detection, like i said, it wasnt even that good on the original. i know last night i played and some guy must have left his cpu for a minute and i brought my crosshairs up as his face and shoot him and it didnt register.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2009, 10:04:48 pm »

"i can shoot a autoshotgun at him back to back and only one hit would register."

This is by design.

Armor damage is not suitable in a large-player-count environment.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »

3. HIT DETECTION NEEDS A UPGRADE. The original goldeneye 64 had a sub par hit detection. trust me. i play the 64 version everyday in multiplayer with my boy. i can shoot a autoshotgun at him back to back and only one hit would register. But in GES, sometimes even the 1st bullet wont register. i be shooting guys and i know for sure my bullets be hitting them but the game doesnt detect the hits.

Hit detection's been upgraded pretty damn well, as far as I can tell.
I don't even notice the flaws after the frustration of Beta 1.1. ::)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Aura89

• Agent
  • Aura89 is looked down upon.
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2009, 05:26:02 pm »

double0killa, a 2/5 of your points will NEVER be fixed or implemented. (#3 and #5) because of two distinct reasons:

1. This is an internet multiplayer game, you can NEVER have 100% perfect hit detection, it is impossible

I have to disagree, and i, and many other people (as you have heard from and seen from people complaining about) know it could get better.

For one, GE:S has become quite a fun game to play a LAN parties, BUT, there should absolutely not be any hit detection problems at a LAN party, and there IS!. You say it's a internet game and that's the reasoning yet in a perfect environment like a LAN party playing LTK when you shoot someone, blood comes out, even up to 3 times, yet he's still not dead? how is that even possible? 5ms or less response times man, it's not a latency issue, it's a game issue

Two, i have been told that the reason i experience it a lot is because i play LTK a lot, though that may be true, i was also told that if i played other source engine games that i would have the same thing, and i thought for a little while, yeah sure that makes sense i don't play one hit kill source games or mods.......but then i thought a little longer, and forgot, that, YES i do, i play many source mods and games with one hit kill modes and i do not experience this in any other mod or game, OR if i do and what you guys say is true, at LEAST blood does not come off of the guy and splatter all over the wall even though it "didn't hit him, the blood came from nowhere", so again, it's a game issue that you guys should fix

Every single time i, or anyone else brings this up, you say it's the best it can get, it's an engine problem and/or it's a valve problem or blame it on the internet (even though LAN parties do it aswell), basically you're saying to us, we don't care about this problem we're done with it and we aren't going to try and fix it even more it is not an issue to us

Cmon guys why do you have such an attitude like that? You know it's a problem and you know that if you keep working on it, tweaking things, you may find out ways to compensate for it and make everyone happy, this is not an issue that one or two people have with this game, this is an issue that everyone has with THIS game, not other games

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh, but why ask us what we want in beta 4, if you just say "not going to happen"

Also, i agree with the above poster, it has been improved a ton since 1.0/1.1, but it is no where near perfect, yet you guys are basically saying "we give up we're not messing with it anymore"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:28:42 pm by Aura89 »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2009, 05:29:50 pm »

^^Please remember that this is Source. The hit detection is the shit, LAN or not.

Aura89

• Agent
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »

^^Please remember that this is Source. The hit detection is the shit, LAN or not.

As i said i have played many other games based on source aswell as mods that have one hit kill and i never notice it nor do i hear as many complaints about it as i do with goldeneye source

Now, i am not saying that the hit detection is not there, it could very well possibly be in every other one hit kill game i have ever played, the major difference is: IF it does happen in other games, i do NOT see a ton of blood against a wall were i supposedly "hit" him but did not "kill" him on a one hit kill game so apparently i hit "nothing" and "blood" randomy appeared

Now, if there is a way for GoldenEye source team to somehow make the game not produce blood unless death, or damage occurs by the player that supposedly got hit, that would be awesome, no one would complain anymore, no one would notice it, because i know that if i didn't see blood, i wouldn't be getting as frustated, i might think i hit the guy because i "swear i was dead on", but if i don't see blood on the wall, i'd be ok with that, so be it the hit detection needs to get fixed, or the blood needs to get fixed, i don't care which, i'm just getting so frustrated by this game and LTK because of the blood it's not even funny and it does not happen in any other source based game/mod, i'm sorry, it just doesn't, i play way too many source based mods to know this

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2009, 05:50:20 pm »

Well, Aura89, probably they say they won't mess with the hit detection anymore because they would have to dig much deeper into the engine code and they do not want to tamper with it.

From what I can recall, no other Source engine mod has a game mode similar to LTK, which greatly exposes the weaknesses of hit detection. Therefore, it's normal that the problem with hitreg is more noticeable and also more annoying than in other game modes. It does not make such a difference in normal deathmatch.

Also, blood does not equal successfully registered hit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:54:55 pm by PPK »

Aura89

• Agent
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2009, 06:12:26 pm »

Well, Aura89, probably they say they won't mess with the hit detection anymore because they would have to dig much deeper into the engine code and they do not want to tamper with it.

From what I can recall, no other Source engine mod has a game mode similar to LTK, which greatly exposes the weaknesses of hit detection. Therefore, it's normal that the problem with hitreg is more noticeable and also more annoying than in other game modes. It does not make such a difference in normal deathmatch.

Also, blood does not equal successfully registered hit.

Well that's what i'm saying, if they could make it so that blood does not come from a player unless damage is taken, this problem would be gone, i also don't think this would be too hard of a thing to do either

Also, in CSS, AWP = 90% of the time, one hit kill, and if not, it does do damage, it never just "spurts" out blood and no damage taken

TF2, powered up sniper rifle depending on who you are shooting is one hit kill, does not spurt out blood if no damage is taken

DODS, rifles and sniper rifles 95% of the time are one hit kill, otherwise doing damage, does not spurt out blood if no damage is taken

CSS custom servers with one hit kill enabled (one i frequently go to as it's CSS, one hit kill, and team deathmatch based with re spawning) do not come across this spurting of blood yet guy does not die

Half-Life 2: Instagib mod (Instagib says it all right there), granted, there is no blood, as the body either explodes or just dies

Every single game with knives having a one-hit kill (such as hidden: source) and no spurting of blood unless player dies

The stargate mods and their "sniper-rifle-like" Goa'uld weapon which is always a one hit kill weapon

There are many games one i have not mentioned with either one hit kill game mode (by either the game supporting it, or a script making it possible such as with CSS), you speak of GE:S as if it's the only one with one hit kill modes or weapons and that's just not the case

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2009, 06:28:56 pm »

CSS can throw blood without damage, but it is uncommon.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Aura89

• Agent
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2009, 07:13:33 pm »

CSS can throw blood without damage, but it is uncommon.

True, will not say it can't, but on the server i play on with basically same thing on GE:S LTK, it doesn't happen, as you also say, nearly as much, or is "uncommon", if i had to take a swing at it i'd say every time i play that mod on CSS it happens 1/20 times i kill someone, and i typically don't notice it since it's rare, but on GE:S i notice it 1/3 times, at the most, 1/5 times, no exaggerating at all either

But can you tell me if it's possible for you guys to make it so blood does not occur unless damage occurs? like i said the hit detection problem would still be there BUT if blood did not come out no one would notice, no one would care, and people would be much happier

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2009, 07:22:33 pm »

If blood were to wait for damage confirmation, all blood would be delayed by at least ping, if not ping + lerp.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:30 pm »

Source may not be perfect mno engine is but it is  not as bad as you say for hit detections.  Some games/mods have sucky hit detection this game included.
HL2CTF
HL2dmpro

HL2ctf has crappy hit detection becasue it uses an SDK that is 2 years old, Valve has since made massive improvements to the netcode since then.

HL2DMpro 1.92 has crappy hit detection NOW because the devs fucked around woth the netcode tryign to improve it they only made it 10x worse.

HL2dm has good hit detection on good well maintained servers its not perfect (no game is over the internet) but its very playable.
If the server is crap with low rate of 30000 max the detection sucks. Same goes for CS:S.
Those games use the older episode 1 engione but i doubt there is a huge difference.

Yes the entire DEV team is always too quick to blame Valve.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:19:55 pm by keefy »

Aura89

• Agent
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2009, 10:01:48 pm »

If blood were to wait for damage confirmation, all blood would be delayed by at least ping, if not ping + lerp.

Um....it may just be me thinking this but i'm fairly certain most people would much rather there be a slight delay in blood, then shoot someone, see blood go all over the wall, up to 3 times, on LTK, and still not kill them, but maybe that's just me

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2009, 12:01:57 am »

The delay is negligable because hitsounds work the same way.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29   Go Up