GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 07:45:56 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could this mod be implemented...  (Read 8785 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Could this mod be implemented...
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:06:47 am »

There is a software for the wii called Homebrew Channel. People make all sorts of applications that can be loaded onto the sd in the Nintendo Wii.

Will Goldeneye Source be able to play on the Wii when such modification occurs? Does the ati card in the wii have enought potential to create such shaders and 3d models?

Thanks

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Could this mod be implemented...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:22 am »

I really doubt this could be handled by a Wii. The Wii has roughly the same horsepower as the original Xbox (From what I understand) and the Xbox could barely handle Half-Life 2. Also, this is a PC game, and would have to most likely be completely rewritten in order to be run by the Wii.

But it would be awesome to point and shoot with the Wiimote.

If you want to do that, it's possible to use a wiimote on your PC with special drivers, and a friend of mine has done it. All you need is a computer with bluetooth and a Wiimote.

EDIT: Better video.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:19:45 am by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

eliteghost

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • eliteghost has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:36:38 am »

I really doubt this could be handled by a Wii. The Wii has roughly the same horsepower as the original Xbox (From what I understand) and the Xbox could barely handle Half-Life 2. Also, this is a PC game, and would have to most likely be completely rewritten in order to be run by the Wii.

That is unfortunately mostly correct. Although the Wii (no official specs have been released) is in that range of horsepower, it's enough more than the Xbox to run HL2. I don't think too much would have to be re-written and if it is a lot, out-source it (get the pun?) to the talented Wii homebrewers who would  give up their lives to make this happen.

Also, I think the orignal xbox version was poorly ported (Valve is not great with consoles) because the system requirements were fairly close to the specs and PC
games use less power to run than advertised because PCs also run background services (as you may already know), whereas a console has just about no things running in the background meaning all of the RAM and processing power goes straight to the game. Sorry for the rant and I know you may already know this The SSL but,
this is for every new person who needs to know.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:43:46 am by eliteghost »

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 03:42:53 am »

Not to mention the online play, which even Nintendo themselves seem to struggle with... It's not happening.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:47:50 am by Storm101 »

hyp3rstrike

• Biohaze Gaming Co-Owner / Invictus Venatus Clan Leader
  • Agent
  • hyp3rstrike has no influence.
    • Biohaze Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:15 am »

Not to mention this mod was made for the steam version of the game.

diesal11

• you know how they say "the grass is greener on the other side"? well I forgot to water that shit
  • Agent
  • diesal11 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:15:52 am »

Although the Wii (no official specs have been released)
thats not true
in the book of world records:gamers edition it lists the full specs of every game console out

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:32:51 pm »

I don't think homebrew can handle games which take the wii up to the limits.
But a game like HL2 takes much more resources and emulating the PC version on wii is impossible.
So it has to be converted completly and i never heared of a project like this.
But for the Wiimote on PC thing, yea, that's working. There's even a HL2 Wiimote-mod.
But beside the software and the bluetooth stick, you will need something to emite the IR rays too.
Maybe the wireless sensorbar or two tealights will do (the tealights are working, i tested it myself).

eliteghost

• Agent
  • eliteghost has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:04:09 pm »

thats not true
in the book of world records:gamers edition it lists the full specs of every game console out

That's not true lol (says wikipedia). Nintendo and IBM have not released the official specs, those are just estimations and kraid, who said emulate? You would be surprised what some dedicated people can do like this game for example or bob's game.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:31:48 pm »

Seriously, it would be easier to do it from scratch then porting HL2+mod ability on the Wii.
Sure it wouldn't look as good as GE:S on PC but even a goldeneye with the graphics from the original game would be awesome.
Technically i think the best way would be to emulate the original game to the VC.
As the VC seems to use same kind of rom file emulators on the pc do.
Of course there are some mechanism to make sure the emu only plays official rom files and no downloaded stuff.
Maybe some ppl can do a port of PJ64 for the homebrew channel, maybe there is allready something like that, i don't know.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:02 pm »

The VC does his best to get as close to the original game as possible, but you know how it is sometimes...
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:23:24 am »

lol i meant virtual console.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:00:02 am »

The VC does his best to get as close to the original game as possible, but you know how it is sometimes...

Man, i love sarcasm

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1]   Go Up