GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 07:17:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions/concerns about firearm recoil and mechanics.  (Read 7916 times)

LastFaction

I know what you are thinking, "oh no, another thread concerning the fact that pistols are more accurate than rifles in GE:S." But don't worry, its not. As a long time GE64 player and enthusiast, I understand why this is true.

I have a few questions/concerns about the nature of the weapons in GE:S and their GE64 counterparts.

I fired up my old N64 to confirm what I had pictured in my mind about the recoil of N64. I concluded that there is virtually no recoil in GE64, just bullet spread from the origin of the crosshair. But I do think that the addition of recoil is a good addition in GE:S, makes it more modern. My first concern is that when using a KF7-Soviet or AR-33 in aim-mode on GE64, firing single shots gave little to no bullet spread from the crosshair. While firing the KF7-Soviet in GE:S in single shots causes the gun to recoil far from the crosshair.

I was wondering if there are any plans to change the recoil mechanics as this game progresses? I was thinking an ideal recoil system would be one where the first shot is very accurate but recoil quickly piles up as automatic fire is used. As it stands the ZMG makes a more accurate long range weapon than the KF7 and I just don't think the same was true in Goldeneye 64, IMO.

But keep up the good work guys, this mod looks very promising.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: A few questions/concerns about firearm recoil and mechanics.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »

I fired up my old N64 to confirm what I had pictured in my mind about the recoil of N64. I concluded that there is virtually no recoil in GE64, just bullet spread from the origin of the crosshair. But I do think that the addition of recoil is a good addition in GE:S, makes it more modern. My first concern is that when using a KF7-Soviet or AR-33 in aim-mode on GE64, firing single shots gave little to no bullet spread from the crosshair. While firing the KF7-Soviet in GE:S in single shots causes the gun to recoil far from the crosshair.

Another example of this is the Sniper Rifle. In GE64, the Sniper Rifle had NO recoil whatsoever(Instead, the player's view moved around slightly to simulate a humans imperfect ability to stand completely still) and in GES, the Sniper Rifle moves very far away from the normal angle.

He has a good point there. If this game is a remake to a new, more modern engine, with a contemporary look and feel, it would make sense to keep some of the original mechanics, but also throw in some more realistic things too.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:44:11 pm »

Right now I imagine porting the engine code successfully and clean is more important than specifics in gameplay as to the original GE007.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:03 am »

Right now I imagine porting the engine code successfully and clean is more important than specifics in gameplay as to the original GE007.
QFT
Pages: [1]   Go Up