GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 11:35:57 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from |CTU| Clan!  (Read 10362 times)

Gooner

• |CTU| Clan Leader
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gooner is looked down upon.
    • |CTU| Clan Website
Hello from |CTU| Clan!
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:20:12 pm »

Hello to all you GES developers and players!

I'm the Clan Leader of a UK based gaming clan called |CTU|. Our website should you feel the need to check us out can be found HERE

We have started a night every week testing new and different games / mods and on our 1st week I decided to try GES. I have dabbled with the mod before and always wanted to get into it more seriously as I'm a huge fan of the original game from the N64.

Our GES server will be a permanent fixture I'm sure. Our clan runs a co located dedicated server which can handle over 100 players on various games. We only play CS Source full time so we have the room to run an epic GES server.

I am in the process of finishing the server ready for Thursday night which when I publicise it properly and promote it.

Is there any advice you guys can give me to make our server the dogs bollox? I am already trying some CS Source based mods on our GES server like Metamod so we can run Mani to manage and admin the server and Steambans so recognised cheaters get punted. I will of course post any news on those efforts to help other server admins out.

Ideas on what version (beta 1 or 1.1h) to run, what configs to use etc will be very much appreciated. I was hoping to run a 64 player server on Thursday so loads of people can join in. On that note I would like to extend an open invite to all GES players, developers etc to our GES night Thursday to test this baby. Details inc. server IP teamspeak IP etc will be published on our website nearer the time.

If all goes well which I'm sure it will I will be more than happy to offer the Clans resources to the developers for testing, file mirrors for downloading etc.

Thanks guys in advance for all your help and thoughts and thanks once again to the developers for a wicked mod.

See you all Thursday! :)

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: Hello from |CTU| Clan!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:33:37 pm »

Cool, if I remember on thursday I'll stop by and check it out. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:18:03 pm »

First, welcome in the GES community. Im sure you will enjoy it.

Ideas on what version (beta 1 or 1.1h) to run, what configs to use etc will be very much appreciated.
1.1h (look at the WIKI and the forum) + no proxies.

Steambans so recognised cheaters get punted
There are no cheaters in GES!

I was hoping to run a 64 player server
Dude.... play first & THEN see what's the best!

oh! Arsenal FTW w/o Thierry H. ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:34:03 am by Doc.NO »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:14:09 pm »

Happy to hear we have a new server to play on! id go with the beta 1.1H its not official or supported by the GE:S team but it runs smooth, im not gunna lie lol. Ill be on to rape on thursday

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:48:53 am »

Another server?  Great!

Now all we need are players ::)

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:37:31 am »

Welcome to the community, good to see new faces. Will try to join the server when you have it ready for a game or two.

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:35 am »

I'll be there as well. Also I'd suggest you run goldengun option on, seeing as most people like it.

Gooner

• |CTU| Clan Leader
  • Agent
    • |CTU| Clan Website
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:38:36 pm »

Thanks everyone for your input!

The server is running 1.1h with golden gun and most of the maps running.

The IP is: 77.74.195.17:27017 and will be up and won like a whores draws until tonight while I tweak it.

Steambans is running as is Mani so the server can be adminned in game.

Thanks everyone for your help and see you all Thursday if not before! :)

murdog

• Agent
  • murdog has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 07:04:51 pm »

+1
If I get banned because idiots are whining, then your server will just be bollocks. All the best players hear garbage about how we're cheating, but literally no one cheats in this game.

Suggestions: No Golden Gun or Golden PP7.

I was hoping to run a 64 player server

You do realize the size of these maps doesn't realistically allow for this...personally I don't like playing on servers with more than 8-10 people as it generally turns into a massive spawn kill-fest that takes very little skill.

WNxSauron

• Agent
  • WNxSauron has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:43 am »

Very civil, took me 2 rounds to get accused of cheating and kicked from server.

C'mon, mates. Give it time. I don't know what your expecting.. to run rampage over the people already playing the mod? Keep in mind that most people youll find playing have been doing so since its initial release. Don't be so hasty judging people, and after a few days of playing im sure youll figure out the quirks (and shortcomings) of the current release.

If you want anyone to play with on thursday i suggest you guys change attitude or at least read up on the hitreg issues...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:25:28 am by WNxSauron »

Lággy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:16:22 am »

A important topic that every player should read before playing

http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,602.0.html

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:37 pm »

First off, welcome to GES. I'm the leader of the clan WNx, whose servers you have probably seen already. However it seems as you need no introduction as you have already kicked one of our members for 'cheating'. Let me just point something out to you...

Quote from: Doc.NO
Quote from: murdog
If I get banned because idiots are whining, then your server will just be bollocks. All the best players hear garbage about how we're cheating, but literally no one cheats in this game.
Quote from: WNxSauron
Very civil, took me 2 rounds to get accused of cheating and kicked from server.

As far as I am aware, there are no hacks or cheats in GES. So if you come across somebody in a server who is dominating, the only answer is that they are actually good at the game, not because they cheat. If you are going to be kicking people for 'cheating', then your server won't be very popular.

Quote from: Lággy
A important topic that every player should read before playing

http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,602.0.html
Just read up on that before you pull out the mob accusing others of hacking.

Anyway, its nice to see another clan in GES. We're always up for a match if you're interested. I'll see if I can pop in on Thursday and check your server out, maybe CTU and WNx can have a duel sometime. Just chill out on accusing of others hacking, the people who've been here since the Alpha are pretty good at the game by now, and we get a little pissed off when people call us cheaters.

EDIT: Hmm. Thought I'd drop into your server to make a friendly hello, and play a few rounds with you guys. Halfway through the first round I'm told to 'stop bunny hopping' by a |CTU| Scatcat, before getting kicked and banned. Nice way to introduce yourself to the community guys.

I suggest that if you want any sort of croud on Thursday night, kicking or banning half of WNx members is not the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:39:54 pm by WNxCJL9788 »

Gooner

• |CTU| Clan Leader
  • Agent
    • |CTU| Clan Website
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:12:55 pm »

I'm sorry for the grief that has occurred for some visitors and I do apologise. Please let me please explain and defend ourselves.

We are a Counter Strike: Source Clan primarily and we play a lot of matches in competition ladders etc and very experienced. We were not aware of the hitbox detection problems that exists with GES. We know this is a beta release and not surprised with this issue as the mod is unfinished. Btw we know that CS ain't perfect either but after reading the forums a bit more it looks like GES still needs some work on that area which is a shame.

However when our Clan members are faced with one player getting shot at by FOUR players all of which are very good seasoned FPS players and see that player survive and kill them all you can hardly blame them for the complaints. Counter Strike: Source has many cheats and therefore cheaters. Our CS server is very popular and we catch cheaters regularly hence our response to anything "dodgy" on our servers. Now the Clan is aware of the hit detection issue our views on GES have changed and this won't be a problem no more.

To say a game has no cheaters is naive. I'm an admin at steambans.com working together to rid the Source Engine games of cheats. I trawl the cheat web sites and forums looking for new code and exploits for cheats and hacks to inform Valve and Steambans. I have already found THREE requests for cheats for GES without having to look very hard. if there is a demand I can assure you that they will exist. GES uses the Source engine so it doesn't take a genius coder to amend his cheats and hacks for GES. As you may notice our server has two mods made for CS running on the GES server and it didnt take ANY mods at all to run.

With regards to the member that was banned I have spoken to the Clan member responsible. The person banned was asked politely not to bunny hop and our member got a sarcastic and arsey reply for his trouble. We have strict rules on conduct on our servers and we reserve the right to run and admin them how we see fit. The ban in question was only for five minutes and has now been lifted. Bunny hopping will no longer be an issue as I have restricted jumping on the server as per the banned members informative advice.

Now we are fully advised with the short comings of the beta and hit detection the server will not be a permanent fixture however the Thursday night test will still go ahead as planned so those in the Clan yet to try GES can. Many thanks to those in the GES community who helped me with our server it was very much appreciated and won't be forgotten. My offer of our Clans resources which are extensive is still open to the GES developers. We feel the the GES mod is awesome and shows great potential and the developers should feel proud.

We look forward to a finished mod! :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:20:37 pm by Gooner »

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 12:26:29 am »

I don't mean for this to sound harsh, but the bottom line is that you guys are n00bers in GES and were playing with some of the best players in the game. Trust me if you guys play a lot you will start to own like every other person does that plays often. I must admit that I get annoyed when people jump like that, but its very few people. The hit detection seems the same to me whether I have 5 ping or 115 ping in the euro servers...and once you get a hang of it, it's easy. Also keep in mind that the players you were playing against (the good ones?) probably armored up on you like it was their job. I honestly think this is one of the problems GES is having right now. This community and the people that play this mod, at least since I've joined in on the fun, are pretty tight. There are always new faces, but it seems like I play with the same people day in and day out, for the most part. I've seen countless n00bers come in, get murdered by "veterans", bitch and moan, and then disconnect. Can never really say whether or not they gave it another shot, but I'd assume most moved on to the next game. The hit detection is a bit off, but it's no reason to quit the game or take down your server. If you guys continue to put this much motivation and time into the mod, within a month you will be much better. (Lead with your bullets a bit and youll be fine.......................................................................................)

As far as conduct and rules and what not, I try not to have to many. GE64 was all about sittin' in the basement with friends...no rules or cares in the world. Too much extra junk just made it feel like i was on some CS match server. I try to keep my servers as laid back as possible, I think I could say the same for Doc as well...as I believe this mod really is about having fun and reliving thousands of memories.

murdog

• Agent
  • murdog has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:53 pm »

To say a game has no cheaters is naive.

Not really, when a lot of of us have played/continue to play enough so that we know the players that dominate. Anyone who would randomly come in and stomp the best players would be pretty obvious as being a cheat, but this doesn't happen.

I may have laughed a little on the inside when it was mentioned that some WNx player(s?) got kicked for bunny hopping though :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up