GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 04:47:38 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Long time GE64 player, GES noob here!  (Read 14851 times)

Sonik

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sonik has no influence.
Long time GE64 player, GES noob here!
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:26:11 am »

Hi guys!

It's been almost a year since I've been watching your progress on your GE mod. At first I was really impressed by the screenshots. But I had never played Half-Life so I didn't think it was worth trying.

Well a week ago, I stumbled again on your website and since I've been playing GE64 these days, I decided to give it a try. So I went to the mall and bought a copy of HL2 : Episode one, and I installed GE : Source.

My first reaction was WOW! It looks and feel like the old one! You did one amazing job!

I'm just getting used to playing with the Half-Life gaming experience, which is very different from the Nintendo 64. So if you play against me and wonder "who's this sucky player???", well it must be me. :)

Oh and I was wondering, you must already have discussed the issue, but what the heck : the ONLY thing I find awkward is the speed of the game. It goes very faster than GE64. Is there a way to change this, is it a future project or the Half-Life source restrains you from doing a such thing?

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
Re: Long time GE64 player, GES noob here!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:29:42 am »

We can adjust player speed and we have been toying with it and adjusting it until it feels right. Another thing though is that we have to adjust the game from the original 4 player games to 8-16 player games. It is tricky to find an even balance but we are working on it so you know.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

murdog

• Agent
  • murdog has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:50:07 am »

Personally I like the speed, as I absolutely hated the slow speed of GE64; my friends and I always used the Turbo Speed cheat to get things going and not waste a bunch of time slowly plodding along trying to find people.

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:37 am »

I think I've played with you a few times before Sonik...good to see youve joined the forums. If you're not used to a keyboard and mouse, it will probably take a bit to get used to.

As far as the speed, I think it's perfect. Yea I like keeping things original...but I think slowing people down would just make it drag. I think it'd be a lot easier to kill someone if people were moving slower. To be honest, I find 4,5+ player matches very intense...pretty much the same feeling I got playing GE64. A good intense, of course...

Just my two cents on that subject. They've done an awesome job getting me hooked right from the start, the same way Rare did.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:05:09 pm »

IMO GE64 wasn't slow. Maybe your controll-Sticks are worn out.
As for me I prefer the Controller-Configuration 1.2 so there isn't a problem with walkingspeed.
I would say the speed is the same but the level Architecture of the non-classic maps is a little bit larger, so it seems slower.
e.g. in complex_classic the speed seems to be higher, but it's only the Level which is smaller.

Sonik

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:04:13 pm »

We can adjust player speed and we have been toying with it and adjusting it until it feels right. Another thing though is that we have to adjust the game from the original 4 player games to 8-16 player games. It is tricky to find an even balance but we are working on it so you know.

Great to hear that! I'm always using strafing in GE64, it looks like I'm going faster that going in straight lines. Maybe getting the speed up the middle between GE64 speed and Half-Life speed would be nice, but if it doesn't change, I'll still play! :)

I think I've played with you a few times before Sonik...good to see youve joined the forums. If you're not used to a keyboard and mouse, it will probably take a bit to get used to.

Yeah, that's a problem  :o  Right now, I'm trying to play with a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right hand. It suits me the best since I'm no PC gamer and more at ease qith controllers. The thing is I lose a few commands since I lack buttons, but I'll try some combinations.

Again, great job by all of you!!! Also, I got 3 other questions :

1- Is there a time of the day you people play in particular? A rush of people on the servers?
2- Is there a "bots" program out there for GES so I could practice myself offline against the computer?
3- Am I the only one who thinks "jumping" should be taken out of GES, since you guys are making things canon?

Thanks! ;D

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:36:11 pm »

Check out my patch: http://forums.goldeneyesource.com/index.php/topic,1331.0.html

There is an ever growing number of people playing (around 1-4pm GMT +8) and fixes some of the major bugs in the first one.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 04:51:06 pm »

Since you can't run under goldeneye, speed is a very hard question. Alpha was very slow. Beta, in my opinion, is maybe a little fast. But lot of people think BETA has the good speed.

1- yea usually players start to be connected at 18 or 19 GMT, on the BETA1. Dunno why, but i never saw peeps on the BETA1.1 :( :(
2- no, there is no bot support on goldeneye.
3- no, you are not the only one. In fact, servers can avoid jump with a small cvar. Til now, i never found a server without jumping. Why? Coz lot of players overuse the jump/bunnyjump to move faster.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:55:23 pm by Doc.NO »

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 11:29:20 pm »

I'd agree that playerspeeds are a little too fast.

Sonik

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:36:01 pm »

1- yea usually players start to be connected at 18 or 19 GMT, on the BETA1. Dunno why, but i never saw peeps on the BETA1.1 :( :(
2- no, there is no bot support on goldeneye.
3- no, you are not the only one. In fact, servers can avoid jump with a small cvar. Til now, i never found a server without jumping. Why? Coz lot of players overuse the jump/bunnyjump to move faster.

Thanks Doc! Maybe we should get this cvar to be used since bunnyjumping is annoying IMO, and non-canon.

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 11:41:09 pm »

Well jumping in servers is usually enabled because in the original alpha release players would get stuck in places in some maps where the only way to get out is to jump. But there is usally some classic servers up that have jumping disabled.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 12:28:02 am »

Personally, I'm a fan of jumping. I haven't really seen anyone bunnyhop through a map as of yet, or heard anyone complaining so until it becomes a large problem I wouldn't want it to change. A lot of the environments still have the invisible barriers, and it seems that the spots that don't have them end up being a good thing. I also like to use my environment when playing. Walking on the floor gets boring to me very quickly. (When there are those crates right next to me that I want to jump and crouch on!!  ;D) Imagine if we couldn't voluntarily commit suicide on cradle..  :o

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 02:56:37 am »

I always thought that if Goldeneye did have jumping it would be way different from hl2 jumping, something not so quake-like.

Xanatos

• Colombian Decaffeinated Coffee Crystals
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Xanatos has no influence.
    • The Janus Syndicate
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 05:14:35 am »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 11:06:51 am »

Uhmm...

I don't know why you're showing a Video of a spinning Pizza.
The Pizza doesn't even look good.

This is a real PIZZA:

these are too:

all of them were selfmade (by me and some other guys).

Ingredients:
Hack-meat, Feta, onion.
Tomato-Mozerella.
Ham/Salami, paprika.
and a lot of Cheese (500g/pizza) and some peperoni.

They tasted awesome.

Maybe we should start a Pizza-Thread.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up