GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 03:35:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GES v4.2.3 Features -- What do you want?  (Read 56499 times)

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
Re: GES v4.2.3 Features -- What do you want?
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:12 pm »

No one is going to want to type !weapons 12 to 18...  By that time, they'd be dead.  I already have it bound to voodoo to make it as user friendly as possible.  An idea Graslu brought up is located here:

http://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/topic,7534.msg78391.html#msg78391

The whole point of releasing the game mode to you and your team was so you guys could tweak it.  I will leave this to your team to make it the best it can be for the next patch.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:29:11 pm by Troy »
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

WNxUufje

• Scientist
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • WNxUufje has no influence.
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »

I have a few suggestions for 4.2.3. Firstly, I think it's a good idea to return to the invulnerability time of 4.1. The example of "you can defeat an RC-P90 spammer with a PP7 by landing carefully placed shots on his head" while already unlikely in 4.1, is now impossible in 4.2. It's become a lot easier for people who are standing still and using aim mode to kill another person, too easy in my opinion. I also think it pisses off noobs a lot more, due to them dying easier than before. Where before I didn't have much cheating accusations thrown against me, in 4.2 I have got countless accusations, often with lots of obscenities. This makes them ragequit GE:S, and in turn, leaves less players for the rest of us.

The second thing is the spawn system, which seems a lot more unfortunate than in 4.1. I haven't seen an actual confirmation that the spawn system was changed, but I and others have noticed that it spawns you next to a fully armored and armed person more than it should do. As an example, I played an 1v1, where after I killed the other, he would spawn right next to me, while there were dozens of safe places for him to respawn. Often it will also spawn you in the middle of crossfire. It's very frustrating, and dying instantly happens a lot more than, again, compared to 4.1.

There are other things as well, like being able to shoot through walls, and the knockback (which I'm happy to see is being addressed), but the first and second points are the most important to me and a lot of others. I think these things make the game more dependent on luck, and frustrates a lot of people. I would go as far as saying that due to this, GE:S is already slowly dying because people get frustrated and quit the game more easily.

These are just my thoughts. I don't think the devs do a bad job, and I still like the game and community, though. I just think it would be for the better of GE:S if those things were changed back, and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. I've heard a lot of similar feelings in WNx, and although I don't really know what people in other clans/communities think, I can imagine some others feel the same.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2013, 02:45:35 am »

I kind of agree with the invuln, I have raised the base invuln to 0.62 seconds vice 0.5 seconds. It's a compromise. The original invuln was too long and people complained about "hit reg" and all that other bull shit (which is not true).

The spawn system is what it is. I personally think its a lot better than it was, there are times when you'll get unlucky... tough nuggets! You can see how it works for yourself if you type in `ge_debug_playerspawns 1` into the console (have cheats on).

What do you mean by the shoot through walls and knockback? Those were both large parts of GE 64.

Falko

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Falko barely matters.Falko barely matters.
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2013, 12:48:34 am »

The knockback is quite annoying when many players are shooting at you and disproportionate when you're jumping. But what is actually more annoying to me is the gun pointing up when you're getting shot at (even when you're invincible ? I'm not sure). When it's 2 players or more shooting at you, it gets really bad. You can't compete with a PP7 against a RCP90 holder because of that too (even more than the invulnerability I'd say, in my opinion). When you're dueling with shotguns or CMag for instance, if your opponent is shooting at you and hit you just before you fire, you completely miss your hit... if he manages to hit you everytimes, you basically deal no damage.
Well, surely, you can break that issue by shooting at a better timing but I find it overall irritating... especially in the RCP example. It's not like it was on GE64 and although it surely is persistent in the FPS genre nowadays, it doesn't fit this game at all. I don't know many games where you get some kind of invulnerability after you get hit (to compare with GES) but a game like Halo 4 (never played it) where you get hit a lot, show the bullets impact with a very smooth shaking of the screen.
I mean, I really don't get the point of that animation (at all) in GES.
I'm surprised the aiming goes back to it's initial position, that would be quite quirky otherway.
I'm just teasing.

And how could the hit reg issue be bullshit ?!
Having played CSS a lot, I am aware of the problem being persistent in every source game but it's clearly worse in GES...
If it's server sided, then how come it also works the same way when you play a lan game ?
Because of the bullet delay ?
Then how come when I slow down a recorded demo, I clearly shot the character ?!

I also tried something else with the bots on lan... to try to instantly kill the character with a RCP90 (which also work with the Phantom and the AR33).
So I played alone with a bot, did 30 kills total and manage to instantly kill it 6 times (health full, of course).
Is that something we should add to the "unlucky" list ? I understand this is eventually hard to fix...

Thank you for the ge_debug_playerspawns 1 command... that's something we discussed a lot about and seing that you apparently don't consider doing anything about it, it's nice to at least understand how it works! ^^
I also thought the spawning system was better when I started playing 4.2 but playing more and more showed me I was wrong.
Anyway, I ran a 1 minute test just now and I already understand what's seemingly not right... it seems to me that with a very small change it should already work better. I couldn't know it of course, I'm not competent enough to know if you can set some kind of spawning priority determined by the Desirability and change the "Weight" range. That would surprise me if you couldn't.
I took a look at Control and the two elevator room. What I noticed is (when I was on that room) that 7 nearby/on my reach spawn points (out of 24-25) were on Max Desirability while I was in.
Is it impossible to increase the range and make the 500 Desirability spawn points more likely to spawn a player ?
This spawning system seems pretty neat, it's terrible to not consider modifying a variable if it's all it takes.

An other thing I wanted to point out is the gap between the weapons bullet spread. That's something I already posted about but never got any argument (or people confused mine with the aiming mode, idk) and it's in the same category than the animation I talked about earlier. I've never understood why some weapons (the Klobb, the KF7, DD44 - I could add the Phantom, ZMG, D5K, but those are less problematic) are less accurate than others. I can't think of any FPS game where it works that way.
Even the PP7 doesn't shot in the middle, which doesn't make any sense.
I understand that the purpose is to make the guns different but the thing is that they already are.
Firing with the KF7 is just hilarious, especially if you remember how it was in GE64.

An other subject is our server (WNx) crashing a lot.
I don't know if it's ours only or if other servers are crashing as oftenly too... I haven't played the game much lately and not on different servers...
I don't know what else to say about it, maybe someone can tell us what's going wrong. It's been the case for so long now.
It's obviously causing many problems, I don't have to say which.

I also remember a thread about some kind of new statistic system that VC or anyone else from the team mentioned... is it an abandonned project ?

Last thing, I remeber Killermonkey telling us about an "anti-jump-aim mechanic", is it something that has been "fixed" in 4.2 as planned or not ?!
Because I haven't seen any difference. Which is not necessarly a bad thing, it adds a variety to the gameplay.
There is also some kind of "double jump" trick/script that some player uses which is more painful to watch than efficient.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2013, 08:27:39 pm »

I'll look into tweaking the spawning system variables. There are a lot of places to make it more sensitive to nearby players. The spawn system takes into account the distance and number of nearby players, the number of recent deaths near that spawn point, and the last use of the spawn point. All those detract from the desirability. Then the spawners with desirability > 0 get shoved into a weighted random selection (thus you are more likely to get a spawn point with higher desirability).

ALTHOUGH, playing with the spawn system on a bigger map does highlight the fact that the desirability doesn't go down nearly enough. I will play with it a little.

A lot of your comments are geared towards some implementation of some sort that really doesn't change the core mechanics of the game. Granted knockback can be annoying, but it is supposed to be. Raising the invuln time lessens that and the screen flash since you are not taking damage.

I can do hundreds of different things to GES, but in the end, I do not have the time to keep tweaking everything and its never going to be perfect for everyone.

I also fixed a couple areas where crashes were occuring.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:34:24 pm by killermonkey »

WNxUufje

• Scientist
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • WNxUufje has no influence.
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »

I kind of agree with the invuln, I have raised the base invuln to 0.62 seconds vice 0.5 seconds. It's a compromise. The original invuln was too long and people complained about "hit reg" and all that other bull shit (which is not true).

The spawn system is what it is. I personally think its a lot better than it was, there are times when you'll get unlucky... tough nuggets! You can see how it works for yourself if you type in `ge_debug_playerspawns 1` into the console (have cheats on).

What do you mean by the shoot through walls and knockback? Those were both large parts of GE 64.

I can understand that sometimes somebody gets unlucky with the spawn system, but I have experienced it much more than in 4.1. I've heard lots of complaints from other people saying the same. Take the example that I gave with someone spawning next to me in an 1v1, that can't be right? I've tested a little with the debug command and I couldn't really see anything questionable apart from a spawn point having 500 desirability when it was right above an enemy (on a ledge in Complex), however, in general play I definitely notice it. Thanks for at least looking into it.

About the knockback, it's pretty excessive. It's harder to hit someone now when you're getting hit yourself. That is very much related to the screen flash after being hit, but I'm glad to see that is being toned down. Shooting through walls is, in my opinion, annoying and only based on luck. You can pretty much just shoot randomly with a penetration weapon and score a lucky kill. It's very frustrating to get shot out of nowhere. If it doesn't get removed, could you at least add a cvar with which you can turn it off/on?

Also, thanks for fixing some crashes, those have been indeed a problem on our server lately. I don't know if the fixes affect our crashes too, but it's at least nice to see you've got rid of some of them.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

I don't think it would be a good idea to have things like penetration a cvar.
The physical rules of the gameworld have to be constant.
Also it would confuse ppl even more if you're able to shoot through walls on server A but not on server B.

One thing that might work is decreasing accuracy of shots that have penetrated an object.
That way you won't be able to get constant hits on players that are far away from the penetrated object.
The ammount of decrease could also depend on the weapon, so if you use a rapid fire gun like RCP the loose of accuracy would be much higher then with a CMag.

Not exactly sure how the math behind the bullet spread works, but if every bullet tracer has a vector, maybe it could be multiplied by a value >1 to increase the spread after the penetrated surface.

So beeing hit by penetrating weapons is more or less depending on your distance to the penetrated surface.
Also the initial spread would be taken into account, so a spammer won't hit anything but someone who does well aimed single shots would still have a far better chance to hit someone through a door.

Troy

• 00 Agent
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2013, 07:15:34 am »

I'd like the ability to be able to choose the good or evil Trevelyan.  I'd also like to see someone map Depot.  It was shown in the beta 1 trailer, but I don't ever remember playing it.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:11 pm »

The Depot map was completely overhauled since, I don't think this version of the map still exists.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2013, 03:07:56 pm »

There are a lot of maps that are currently in development, but they may or may not see the light of day. Only time will tell what the developers decide to do with them. :/

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2013, 01:45:43 am »

There are a lot of maps that are currently in development, but they may or may not see the light of day. Only time will tell what the developers decide to do with them. :/

such as?

Troy

• 00 Agent
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2013, 01:56:47 am »

I've heard rumors of Train, Jungle and I've seen a screenshot of Streets.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2013, 02:55:00 am »

Pretty much every map has a "in development" state. Both released have recreations in works and unreleased have versions in works.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 10:43:46 am »

i've seen the blueprint/layout of Train which looks rather unique- especially with the
fueling station nearby and the tunnel

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »

The art side of the team is currently a bit burned out, which is why there haven't been many content updates recently.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up