GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 18, 2024, 01:17:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: This Mod needs more hype.  (Read 11578 times)

Conmore

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Conmore has no influence.
This Mod needs more hype.
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:43:09 pm »

Every time I got on it's a playerless wasteland, and we don't have bots yet. I'm going to make a YouTube video once I get a microphone, showing some maps and gameplay, and add some links to ModDB, Steam, this Forum, . You guys have put way too much work into this for it to stand here and have empty servers on and off like this. Even though I'm too young to remember the original game, (15) This has made me get into it, and I think this and the '97 version are so much better than Halo and CoD, which is why I think it has huge potential to have a lot of players. Also, the fact that you're doing this all for no pay, I know for legal reasons, amazes me. Sorry for getting off-topic, but I was wondering if there is anything I could do to help this get some attention. Also, Hi, I'm new to the forums, but not GE: S.

terps4life90

Re: This Mod needs more hype.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:14:10 pm »

I agree with this man. It is absolute bullshit why there aren't a shit ton of players. People bitch about it being remade the right way and when it finally is no one notices except a small community.

Conmore

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »

Would you guys care if I put it on Reddit? We can get a good playerbase out of them. The reason I ask is because Reddit might have a reputation.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 05:44:11 pm »

Why would we mind? I'm pretty sure all of us would love to see a more active player base, I personally say feel free to do all the publicity you wish.
As long as you keep douchebags out, I'm fine with that. :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:46:28 pm by namajnaG »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:57 pm »

Every single one of the fans and followers of this mod can help, and in big ways. *this mostly relates to when 4.2 is out* Don't burn yourselves out just yet it may be wasted effort.

1. Tell everyone you know that there is this cool game you play all the time. (this requires you to be playing it all the time so they notice on steam)

2. Have fun in servers. Remember ge64 was mostly for fun with your friends.

3. "digg" our posts or at least participate with a comment if one of our media posts are on digg.com (goes for all outlets we distribute to... google+/facebook/twitter

4. Seed the current release' torrent when you are asleep.

5. Post once a day on our forums.

6. Develop a skill over the coming two years and join the cause.

7. Convince a friend who knows Python to code a third-party co-op, mimicking the single player missions (possible with upcoming 4.2 release)

8. Trade your want to give us a donation, for your time in helping us show the world how solid our game is, how enjoyable and re-playable. (they didn't get the memo yet)

9. Most important: Steam is free to download and our mod is free to download and the sdkbase is free as tf2 is free-play enabled. This wasn't the case 18 months ago at our last release. Players no longer need a purchased game to play our modification.

Things that don't help us;

1. Being elitist in game, and turning away noob players.

2. Negative positives... "I've been playing goldeneye source lately, it's very addictive, but there are no players"

3. Complaining about no players existing, and doing nothing personally to help fix that.

We are not strictly in charge of how exposed we get. a PR from us is likely to be only a legitimizor that we are professional, not a way to have a playerbase. That comes down to both elements. The team, and the players all providing the positive vibes and environment to create a playerbase that grows; instead of the peak and diminish.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:50:08 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »

7. Convince a friend who knows Python to code a third-party co-op, mimicking the single player missions (possible with upcoming 4.2 release)

I was thinking about that just the other day, except it would play out like Assault from UT, though I lack the skills to code it. But I am starting to map (baby steps, baby steps).

I saw you in-game today, Conmore. I also remember playing with some guy that had the r/ tag on his name.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:31:00 pm by PPK »

Conmore

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:38 pm »

I just put it up on Reddit  http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uyd1i/so_while_were_waiting_for_black_mesa_lets_play_a/

The reason I mentioned Black Mesa is so people know it's a Source Mod, and seriously, who ISN'T looking forward to Black Mesa. I still like this though, for actually releasing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:17:01 pm by Conmore »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:40 pm »

The problem with framing your reddit post like you have is it poses the idea people need to know about us. Like we are unknown or even competing with the corporate remakes out there.

I don't think that is the case. We had a reddit post come out with our 4.1 release (december 10) and people even then weren't scratching their heads as to who we are. The simple fact is everyone who knows mods, and is over 21 knows about us, that we've been around for many years, and they are not playing; at least regularly.

Better would be to remind the populus who tastes us once that they should again because of our improvements patch to patch.

We are a veteran mod, not a struggling unknown scrap.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »

Already done the YouTube thing buddy:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/markpeterjameslegg?feature=mhum

But the more the merrier.

Conmore

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

Already done the YouTube thing buddy:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/markpeterjameslegg?feature=mhum

But the more the merrier.

What I meant was something telling about the game, and listing game modes and stuff, while I play the game. It'll be happy raging.

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »

What I meant was something telling about the game, and listing game modes and stuff, while I play the game. It'll be happy raging.

Ah... I see, good idea, be better to play the game modes individually and do a video for each, but I would recommend waiting for 4.2 and using Bots as it would be a lot easier to demonstrate with a bot set on easy.
Any videos you create I'll be happy to upload to my channel as well.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »

What I could think about is make a video demonstrating and explaining all gamemodes (Excluding Deathmatch and similar gamemodes that we find in every multiplayer FPS) with camera angles varying from Free Look around a game in progress and first-person gameplay as well, Have a commentary talking about the game's objectives, Since we've already got Mark's videos showing several maps, We should also do a few gameplay videos with the commentary of someone that explains the mod's history and what the GE:S Team intends to bring to life. Video tutorials on how to get started on the good foot in the game could also be good, Such as game tips, Explaining game mechanics, Etc.
The possibilities are quite endless.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:10 pm »

Anyone with dedicated and professional results from an initiative which educates and entices new players to us could also eventually apply to be a community manager or in the PR department if a new position came up.

Conmore

• Agent
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:47:16 am »

Ah... I see, good idea, be better to play the game modes individually and do a video for each, but I would recommend waiting for 4.2 and using Bots as it would be a lot easier to demonstrate with a bot set on easy.
Any videos you create I'll be happy to upload to my channel as well.
That sounds like a great idea, maybe we could do a dual commentary type thing. If you have a mic.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:03 am »

I think the best way of doing this is to record the video of a match at first, cut together the essential stuff and do the voice over afterwards.
Maybe writing down what you're going to say/show in the video could help, too.

That way there will be short and easy to understand clips instead of long videos with lots of repetative situations and a voice actor who's distracted by playing and speaking at the same time.

Some of the less complicated gamemodes (DM, TDM, LTK) could be easily combined into one video (just for beeing complete) while the more complex ones might be better off with a own clip.

I'd say there should be a new thread for assembling the storyboards for the clips.
So the whole community has the chance to get involved by posting suggestions.
Either in text only with a description what to see in the scene, or even better with a ingame screenshot and text for the voice actor.

There could be also a video "Goldeneye Source: Getting Started" which walks you through the process of downloading, installing, starting GES for the first time, doing some vital configurations etc.

While some might think now: hey that's easy, no need for a tutorial like this, some threads on the forums showed that a few ppl still have issues with this kind of stuff.
(e.g. why are there only two servers in my list? or I downloaded & installed the mod, but when i start it shows the valve logo and crashes)
Also a good oportunity for takling about the stuff that can be configured in the advanced options, like the automatic gun switch or disabling dynamic lights on explosions for performance reasons and many more.

As for voice acting, it doesn't have to be russian accent or something, just a nice and friendly sounding voice with good and easy to understand english. If there's an accent at all, i'd prefer a British one anyway.
If this would be an official Game with money in the back i'd really like to see john cleese doing the voice acting.
(only know his german voice, but it should be much similar to the original one i think).

Beeing able to record your voice on good quality with a real microphone, not only a cheap headset, would be also a huge advantage.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:07:21 am by kraid »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up