GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:03:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Game mode programmer  (Read 36384 times)

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
Game mode programmer
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:00:12 am »

Hello,

I am interested in joining the team to create new and exciting modes for the GoldenEye: Source mod.

Name: Troy
Programming experience: PHP, Java, Visual Basic, Python
Scripting experience: HTML, CSS, SourcePawn
Examples: Cup Match and Agent Under Fire
Additional Information: When I create a new game mode, I will not stop until it's perfected. I take great pride in my work.

Thanks

Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Game mode programmer
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:07:29 am »

Judging from the gamemodes like Agent Under Fire...i think he has some potential :)
but thats from my own point of view

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:12:12 am »

wow, good news. Im no developer, but I think troy´s one of the most dedicated people I´ve ever seen for this mod. nearly everyday he´s doing some goldeneye stuff, working things out, thinking about new ideas and concepts. always wants to test the shit out of the gameplays. he deserves to be a part of this, I think. I wish you all the luck :-)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:15:29 am by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

liamcadhain

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:57 pm »

Good luck with your application Troy!

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:05 pm »

Break a leg!
Completed: twine_mi6_sc, 1138_hangout, ge_garrison

Troy

• 00 Agent
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »

Thanks guys.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:52:14 am »

Troy, how many more gamemodes do you possibly envision for the game?
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:58:45 am »

I think we need to pick the weak ones out, even official game modes like CTK makes my rage burn like the fire of a thousand suns.  Dr. No Armor removes map control, Turbo DM fucks up everything, and CTK is cancer.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:28 am »

troy would be a good choice, because I would like to see someone who concentrates on doing gamemodes full time. and that also goes for the old gamemodes, which will be improved by the new token overlays for a start. but the bond universe offers a lot of potential for more creative gameplays and alternatives. its not all about deathmatch and capture the key.
but I don´t know what the developers think. coding seems to be harsh business and killermonkey seems to do it all alone at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:18:07 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

The question is, do we really need so many game modes officially? This is why I posed that question to Troy earlier, because I am interested in what he thinks he will be capable of bring to the game officially.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »

Ultimately this will come down to KM's call, as lead programmer and managing director.

Emilia does make a very good point in asking how many game modes we need officially. The age old design question of quality/quantity springs to mind. Are we going for a vast number of game modes which cover all gameplay possibilities or are we going for a concise set?

If it's the latter I have to honestly say I think there really wouldn't be much of a role for you to play on the team as a game mode programmer... considering  the game modes are programmed already.

I'll reserve any other opinions I have for now.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »

I have read what others have posted, granted they only see the end-result of your work Troy.

What concerns me the most is your ability to work independently as a coder. This is a small team and often times work must be done in solo and challenges overcome using external resources (ie Stack Overflow for example) taking similar people's challenges, evaluating the solution they came up with, and reapplying that solution to your current problem at hand.

From my personal experience working with you, I feel you still need to grow more in that area.

As for the overall need for a game mode programmer, it is still high. In fact, we absolutely need a full time Python programmer to handle the AI programming that will need to be done once v4.2 is in the wild. Most game modes could use a little "designers touch" as well. So I am not only looking for someone who can program the mode, but also someone who can configure the HUD layout (progress bars, objective icons, etc) as well as audio queues and messages.

I am going to think over a trial for you, but it is going to be a challenging trial and you will not receive help from the team. It will challenge your ability to work independently and creatively. It will also challenge your ability to receive critical feedback from the team and apply it to better your programming.

Give me a few days to decide if I want to proceed. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:22:17 pm by killermonkey »

Troy

• 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:09 pm »

The question is, do we really need so many game modes officially? This is why I posed that question to Troy earlier, because I am interested in what he thinks he will be capable of bring to the game officially.
I don't plan on making 100 new game modes.  I want to make more game modes that use vital characters from the movies. For example, Jaws, May Day, Oddjob, Trevelyan. I also want to help improve our current game modes.

I am going to think over a trial for you, but it is going to be a challenging trial and you will not receive help from the team. It will challenge your ability to work independently and creatively. It will also challenge your ability to receive critical feedback from the team and apply it to better your programming.
This sounds like a lot of fun.  I am up for your challenge.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:12:20 am »

Troy, I have decided to give you a trial. Be aware, you are being judged by the whole team during the trial and not just me.

Your trial will be to revamp Gun Game for the v4.2 release (using v4.1 code for now). Please make a thread in the trial members board and I will post the details of your trial.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:04 am »

Congradulations Troy on being a Trial Member
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up