GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 18, 2024, 04:23:22 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hammer Editor  (Read 4864 times)

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
Hammer Editor
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:34:09 am »

Hey, I'm new to Hammer. I'm currently creating a map. I wanted to know if I should do furnitures and detailed stuff seperatly from the map itself and then import it in? And I've noticed that the number of squares in the gris is limited wich sucks for a perfectionnist like me. Are all of the GES maps made in Hammer? If they are, how can they achieve so much details with so few?
Currently in Progress : ge_mi6 hq

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Hammer Editor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:48:59 am »

All source maps are made in hammer.

The grid for working area is massive for a MP map.

Unless your taking about the unit size, in which you press [ and ] to make the grid smaller and larger.

Here is a shot of a old version of Fac_bz (beta4 I believe) to show the size in hammer:

Bottom left shows that you can get the grids pretty small.

And of course if you can your best option is to model your props and such in like 3ds max them import. But you have to now how to model and texture for that. But for your first map, our supplied textures and models should be more then enough.

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »

All source maps are made in hammer.

The grid for working area is massive for a MP map.

Unless your taking about the unit size, in which you press [ and ] to make the grid smaller and larger.

Here is a shot of a old version of Fac_bz (beta4 I believe) to show the size in hammer:

Bottom left shows that you can get the grids pretty small.

And of course if you can your best option is to model your props and such in like 3ds max them import. But you have to now how to model and texture for that. But for your first map, our supplied textures and models should be more then enough.

Thank you for answering! Yes, I was talking about the unit size, I'd like to be able to make it even smaller. The reason is I want my props(Doors,desks,lamps, etc.) to be really detailed. But I'm really not used to work with complex 3D programs such as 3Ds max and Maya or even Blender(wich I have somewhere on my desktop). And I know that I can update my maps because there is always work to do, like it is never really finished. But I'd like the first version to be somewhat attractive to the eye(like I said earlier, I'm a perfectionnist). Anyway, I thing I'm gonna do the props in Blender. Did you do yours in a 3D program too? As for the textures, my goal is to replicate a place we see in the movies so, I'm gonna create the textures myself with photoshop and that other program VTF or something like that..

Thanks again for your time.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:54:35 pm »

Most of the team use 3DS Max, but there are also tools for exporting from Maya and probably Blender too. As far as intricate geometry is concerned models are the way to go.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:38 pm »

Most of the team use 3DS Max, but there are also tools for exporting from Maya and probably Blender too. As far as intricate geometry is concerned models are the way to go.

Thank you really much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up