GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 29, 2024, 02:27:00 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So, is it safe to say that WNx killed GE:S? [Locked:Inflammatory]  (Read 14900 times)

BlackDynamite

• 00 Newbie
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • BlackDynamite has no influence.
So, is it safe to say that WNx killed GE:S? [Locked:Inflammatory]
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:09:19 pm »

Quote from: Official statement on behalf of WNx

GE:S does not support the content or intent within this post and segments of the thread. It is an example of how not to address an issue.

WNx, a premier provider of GE:S servers were offered via official channels, the right to speak on the matter within this thread (pertaining to this member rumored to be a troublemaker in their servers). Their chief server admin and high ranking official within the GE:S Clan faction for Warrior Nation has declined the offer, citing this issue being completely over in their minds.

I will offer this in their stead.

No accusations against clans deemed to be invaluable to our modification, shall be taken lightly. If anyone out there looks to cause controversy without some evidence supporting your claims, expect the immediate right of the clan to be officially represented in the first (via edits) and last (via the lock post) posts ; Standing an official statement given to us by the clan in question.

Restricting weapons, restricting levels, rules that make absolutely no sense (No cursing?!?!? What the fuck?), members that are easily butthurt up to the point where you get ban-hammered?

I don't understand why people still play in the server. I do recall at one point them being a decent server in the 3.X era, where they weren't so restrictive about it. But now, it's fucking retarded. People that go to other servers after leaving WNx servers have a sigh of relieve for that fact that all weapons are available. LTK with pistols, knives, and fucking slappers? The novelty is nice for a good round or 2, but to have those three on every rotation with LTK? Fuck...... You can't blame people for uninstalling the mod just for that reason.

Now, the reason I say that is because for the most part WNx is the only servers people play on. When other servers have people, people always tend to migrate from the shitty WNx servers and play on the others instead. From what I've heard from many people, I've heard that people feel that they have no choice when choosing a server because WNx basically has people like "You play with our rules, or you go to an empty server or get banned".

Criticizing them is non-existent as they'll immediately permaban you. Their weapons sets are bad, explosives are scarce, and map rotations are terrible. I remember at one point it seemed as if Cradle was non-existent, even though it was the one map people wanted to play on. Let's not get started on the game modes.

All in all, I think WNx's limitations ruin what makes GE:S and Goldeneye in general the game we all loved and played in the past. Camping spawns, Power Weapon LTK's on Stack, Explosions everywhere, Proximity Mines in Facility aid ducts, having fun...... Non-existent in WNx's servers. With WNx's communist-like community/committee, and faggotry of having Alizee all over their maps and servers, the mods fate will sadly parish because of it.

PS: Here is an example of how ridiculous their rules are: http://cp.ges-stats.com/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_0:1:31015394&advType=steamid&Submit
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:43:02 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Re: So, is it safe to say that WNx killed GE:S?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »

Play OWS then. NEXT!

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:20:08 pm »

I'm gonna have to agree with pretty much everything you stated, WNx has done some positive things for the mod but most just seem negative.    I don't agree with them banning people left and right for lame reasons, the mod just isn't big enough to get rid of numerous players.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:24:46 pm by Proxie »

BlackDynamite

• 00 Newbie
  • BlackDynamite has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

Play OWS then. NEXT!

That's completely beside the point. The point is that when people play in WNx servers, they tend not to comeback to GE:S at all, and having WNx the only server around when nobody is on OWS or any other server for that matter does not help the mod at all for the reasons listed in my previous post.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:57 pm »

I will admit, I have had problems with some of the clan members in the past, but nothing currently. Wnx and OWS have very different visions of Goldeneye Source gaming. I personally do not play for the "serious" factor. My goal is to go in and just have fun which includes using my mic and talking to members about whatever comes to mind. Mics, as I remember, are not that welcome for open discussion of anything and everything on Wnx, which is a big turn off for me. However, it has been a long time since I have played on WNx just because I stay away from the server so I can respect their rules.
   I think the main reason we see weapons and maps removed is that stats and many things do not turn out well with them. Again, that fits into the "serious" factor I am talking about. It all really depends on what kind of gaming you want to do.
   There is really no way to control which server people pick. WNx is made up of a huge clan, therefore they have a huge population to fill the servers during many times of the day. It is just how it works. Also, if you go in OWS or any other server or something, generally some people will pick a smaller population and join that one (or at least I will). When i usually see one person, I like to "seed" that server. I would recommend doing the same, wait, and just see what happens. :) See you around Black. It has been fun playing with you in OWS, and I hope to see you in there again. :)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:35:29 pm by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

I have to say in WNx's defense, they pay for their servers so they have the right to run whatever rules they like.

Really it's just unfortunate that throughout beta 3 and 4 WNx servers have been popular by 'default' because of Source's server browser only displaying servers with players unless you manually disable the map list and then refresh, which virtually no new players to the mod actually do or understand. So any server with a plugin that keeps the playercount above 0 will always be displayed to everyone, which is what WNx servers have.

By that, if you're banned like you were, you're essentially alienated from the rest of the active players who basically always populate WNx servers.. which is a real shame.

WNx has done a lot for the mod really, even though I don't dispute that there is a negative side to the impact it has for players. I too have my fair share of criticisms in all honesty, but all I can suggest is play on another server and try to draw players to that server.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:52:46 pm »

<3 [OWS]. I concur with most of what you've stated.. thank you for coming out and saying it. Also, I agree with saint and his "serious" view on it all.. I don't mind sitting in an empty server just to-not play in WNx servers as well.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:58:58 pm »

Can anyone tell me off the top of their head if this (http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Beta4_Server_Install) is still pretty much accurate?

i.e.
1) Install "orangebox"
2) Extract GES server files
3) Probably need to put some 4.02 files on there
4) Profit

Obviously I will find out the hard way when I get home from work in about 3 hours, but it would be nice to be able to get the right base game installed before then.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »

That is correct. KM updated something on that page the other day, say i presume the info is accurate.

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

arturok1992

• Secret Agent
  • arturok1992 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »

Yes, it is safe. I don't care what you say, you are just angry because most of the time you want to play GE: S the only servers with people are WNx ones. You deserve it. We don't ban for lame reasons, just check your ban: http://cp.ges-stats.com/index.php?p=banlist&searchText=black+dynamite&Submit=
you insulted us a lot, and not only WNx guys, you insulted noclans players too. Nobody likes the kind of person you are, a really big troll.
So now you think that you can give us a bad fame with this post? go ahead, i don't care.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:48 pm »

I have to say in WNx's defense, they pay for their servers so they have the right to run whatever rules they like.
That changes nothing.

You deserve it. We don't ban for lame reasons,
I should also point out to arturok that he's not saying that every and all bans are for stupid reasons. You obviously have every right to remove someone who's causing grief.

I concur with OP; not out of bias, but common sense. +1 for someone finally just telling it how it is.
(No, that -1 was not me)

Of course, at the same time I have to appreciate the good things WNx has done for GE:S in the past, but it almost breaks even with everything else.

Que drama.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:47:21 pm by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:41:44 pm »

The only changes I see since March 2009 are basically replacing 3 with 4.

Meanwhile, was just advised by NFo to install BG2 to get the Orangebox files going and adjust from there, so I could be in for some major detours.

On topic:

There is a saying that "'no swearing' keeps the noobs out," although I think that's meant to be a good thing usually. The general logic is that the only people incapable of not swearing are assholes and preteens. It could very well be that WNx admins are too strict, but my gut feeling from reading Black's post is that you can't control yourself.

I do agree that the weaponsets are not good and the way the server mixes and matches weaponsets with game modes does not seem to work out well all that often. And I'm sick of Alizee too.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 07:47:38 pm »

Can't you just mute the swearing player? Muting blocks his text as well as his voice, right? A permanent ban is way too harsh and is a blow to GES's already small player base.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 07:51:49 pm »

I've mentioned that to a WNx member once (Kobayashi I think)

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:41 pm »

Honestly, The primary reason I never really appreciated their servers prevalence is that their attitude is heavily biased to the serious nature of GE:S, and as the only server always visible, it's the only side that most people see.  GoldenEye, from what I've observed, can be just as lighthearted as it can be serious.

The WNx mentality supports the more serious side, basing their entire setup around the competitive element.  Their stats system punishes mistakes, their weapon sets limit the chaos GE is known for, and their administration is more restrictive of what you are allowed to do in their server.

Of course, It can't really be disputed that WNx holds professionalism in high regard, and it is reflected in their good server maintenance.  However, it also shines through in their tendency to suppress some of the more chaotic (and to many, fun) aspects of GE:S like excessive explosives and scores of automatic weapons easily available to everyone.

One product of this is that nearly every weapon set on their server is essentially the same thing.  This setup mainly entails the shotgun, magnum, and a few low power weapons randomly distributed around and then labeled "JAWS" or "Mixed set abc".  One of the merits GE has over a lot of other games is that you can choose the weapons that spawn in the map, getting many different and often chaotic results.  Most of the "fun" sets, however, are unbalanced and can be very unfair in a serious environment, limiting their use in such a case.

Now, I'm not an opponent of WNx, every game has a serious side and GE:S is no different.  however, their partial monopoly ensures that the laid back side of the game remains unseen by most.  Everyone wants to play seriously sometime (and for some, all of the time), and WNx delivers satisfaction in that area.  But, honestly, most of the time I just want to grab a silver pp7, run around the map killing people, and not worry about going down a rank when I die.  When I play on WNx, I'm inclined to stick near the armor and make sure the possibility of death is never realized. 

The only thing that needs to happen, for the most part, is for another server to adopt the script always displaying a person in attendance.  Once OWS actually gets people in it, WNx is usually dwarfed in attendance by a considerable amount, with the serious people going there and everyone else going to OWS.  Observing that, I believe the mod would quickly gain more people with two active servers administered by different people both specializing in one area.  As it stands, when someone looking to have fun joins WNx and finds the whole game seems to be dominated by two guys armor camping, they don't want to play on that server anymore.  Then they realize they don't have a choice as there are no other servers around.    Just as someone favoring competition who joins OWS, doesn't care for all the people mic spamming and yelling "star!", and decides to leave, only to find that no other server seems to have people in it.   If we kept both servers populated with the 1 man attendance script, this would be prevented considerably and people may find the side of GE:S they raged from wasn't the only part to see.

tl;dr version:

WNx isn't so much the problem as is the fact they're the only active server and GE:S is a game too varied for one server.  You can play serious, or you can be more laid back, and you can't really do both on one server.  WNx has the one man always in the server setup, and as the only server that does they're usually the only server with people.  If someone else were to also use that, then they wouldn't be the only option most of the time.  The serious people can go to WNx and those not so competitive can play on the other server.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:19:30 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up