GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 11:47:56 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sniper Rifle  (Read 24844 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
The Sniper Rifle
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:34 pm »

I know the Sniper Rifle's real world counterpart has been discussed a bit in the past (here and here) where people have shared their thoughts on what the Sniper Rifle is based on.

Some people thought it was a WA2000 or VSS Vintorez or (insert generic scoped rifle here). All of those are wrong in my opinion.

I came across a page on Goldeneye Wikia for the Sniper Rifle which names the real world counterpart for the Sniper Rifle as the Russian KSVK 12.7 which to me seems the most plausible answer.

Firstly you can see the fundamental shape is the same, it has the very long barrel with extended silencer (it's not a silencer in real life) and it has the large bullpup-style buttstock. Everything is in relatively the correct place. The differences are of course the bipod legs and the scope, but I'll come back to them later.

Secondly, it's Russian and was in development for the Russian military in the late 90's. So it's very plausible why it would be lying around in Dam and Surface.

Now, back to the differences.. as the rifle was definitely in development when Goldeneye was released, plausibly the Sniper Rifle could actually be a sort of prototype version of the KSVK, which would account for the slight differences in design (wood stock in areas where there is none, a different and much bulkier scope which is mounted off-center to the left, no bipod legs)

I'm not going to lie.. I think the current sniper rifle model is completely wrong, the only genuine similarity it has with the original is the fact that the barrel is white. It's not a bullpup, and really it's very generic in design.

What do you guys think?
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: The Sniper Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:33:25 pm »

You bring good points, although spider needs to clime up the waterspout into this thread.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:46:07 pm »

I prefer the look of our version to the N64 one.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:34 pm »

The WA2000 was the sniper the rifle in GE64 was supposed to be based on, at the beginning, if I'm not mistaken. Then the guys at Rare just decided to use that weird design. You do bring up some good points, as Jeron mentioned.

The one in GE:S isn't a bullpup by a couple of inches, roughly, both on the measures and on the concept... This is basically the same thing as with the DD44: the one in GES is about half as thick as the one in GE64 and it is based on a real world pistol, whereas the GE64's one doesn't seem to based on anything but a generic bulky pistol, to quote VC.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:07:13 pm »

I prefer the look of our version to the N64 one.

The current GE:S sniper is a nice model and it's well textured, but if it's not the correct rifle (in my opinion it definitely isn't) then it does need to change..

By the same standards that you can determine that the original Auto-Shotgun is a SPAS-12, you can tell that the Sniper Rifle definitely matches the KSVK.

Who knows, if the sniper was remade you might like it more than the current one.

The WA2000 was the sniper the rifle in GE64 was supposed to be based on, at the beginning, if I'm not mistaken. Then the guys at Rare just decided to use that weird design. You do bring up some good points, as Jeron mentioned.

The one in GE:S isn't a bullpup by a couple of inches, roughly, both on the measures and on the concept...

Yeah, for it to be a bullpup the magazine needs to be behind the trigger and bolt, in the buttstock.. like the Famas or Steyr Aug. The original Sniper looks like it's a bullpup with that large buttstock.

I've never come across that information that the sniper was originally going to be a WA2000, but I suppose if it was they probably changed it to something Russian, since Siberian Special Forces use it on Surface... what I've noticed is that all the Russian soldiers in the game use only Russian weapons, with only the exception of the 'General' on Bunker 1 who has a PP7.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:08 am »

Goldeneye Source uses the Bishop Sniper Rifle in place of the Sniper Rifle of Goldeneye.  They behave in the same manner except that the BSR has a fixed scope and does +40% damage to targets.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:09:51 am »

Yeah the point is since the n64 one was generic (regardless of this thread) and a little odd looking by todays standards, we designed something we thought looked great and sleek in the spirit of what you see in ge64. And like VC said some key behaviours were changed, hence the idea to attach the unofficial/official naming of it as Bishop Sniper Rifle.

The game needs a sniper, and this is tributed to our leader.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:41:33 pm »

I understand the current Sniper rifle is in its own little way a tribute to Nickster, and yes there are some small changes in the way it operates from the original...

That aside, I was under the impression that the reason the current Sniper Rifle's design was 'made up' was because the team wasn't aware that it was actually supposed to be based on a real weapon or which weapon that was.

You can see for yourselves that the KSVK definitely matches the original's design and in fact a lot of its technical specifications. If you need any more convincing, here's an extract from the wikipedia article:

Quote from: Wikipedia
KSVK is a bullpup configured, bolt operated, magazine fed rifle. It is equipped with massive muzzle device which acts as an effective muzzle brake and a sound damper. KSVK is equipped with standard Russian side-mounted scope rail, and can be fitted with variety of day and night scopes.

Anyway, I've made my point... all the information is there, and I know most people have read the thread. Really I think it would be a shame for there to be any exceptions to the 'recreate faithfully and then improve' philosophy the mod has carried so far... To me the Sniper Rifle is just as important as the RCP90 or the Moonraker. I'm an obsessive perfectionist and if I were in charge I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing something was definitely incorrect.  :P

Anyway, if its an issue of not wanting to replace the Bishop sniper rifle, there's no reason you couldn't have both snipers in game... just like there's 2 shotguns. Or maybe give players the option of which model to use.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:43:59 pm by Mangley »

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:55:23 pm »

Two shotguns can be supported because the nature of a shotgun (close-range preferred, lots of bullets at once instead of a stream) is unique, and to have only one shotgun would make that weapon class only appear in one power level of loadout.  With two, we have the powerful Automatic that dominates everything short of RCP-90 and Moonraker, and the Rocksalt competes with the normal automatic weapons, giving you a way to trade range for power amongst the lower weapons.

A sniper rifle isn't really its own class.  Its attributes are Silence, Scope, and Accuracy.  But PP7-S and D5K-S cover that for the lower slots, KF7 and AR33 cover scope for the lower slots, and PP7-U and Cougar Magnum provide accuracy in the lower slots.  There is simply no design space for the original Sniper Rifle to fit into that isn't already covered.  Also, we've tested sniper out at 007 spec, it wasn't good enough to compete against the naturally more powerful common weapons in the mouselook high player count environment.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:56 pm »

I'm mainly talking about the model and appearance though Viashino..

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »

I like the fact that the current sniper rifle is a tribute to Nickster, and I honestly did not know it was until I read what you wrote Wake. 

Anyway, if its an issue of not wanting to replace the Bishop sniper rifle, there's no reason you couldn't have both snipers in game... just like there's 2 shotguns. Or maybe give players the option of which model to use.

Although it might be asking for too much from the Dev team to make another model, an option for the perfectionists to decide on which model to use would be nice.  Perhaps have a separate download for anyone that is really interested, and just copy and paste the VTF files into the materials folder...again, if there is a Dev willing to undertake this.

Please, not that shit again.  Goldeneye Sniper Rifle is based on a Super Soaker.  Now we have The Bishop.  Deal with it.

I guess I can deal with it also  :-X

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:39:11 pm »

I was so succinct in my earlier days.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »

In my boredom, I photoshopped the KSVK to how I believe it should appear.

Ignore jpeg artifacts.

GoldeneyeLizard

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • GoldeneyeLizard is looked down upon.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 03:18:41 am »

Hello, I thought I'd drop by and give you a picture. I used to visit this forum almost daily, and had the same idea that you do.

I doubt the rifle was modeled after an anti-material rifle:P as you are suggesting. I believed it was designed after the SV-98 prototype. Speculation that I had years ago. Not sure if it's true, but it made sense at the time. You can't get them to change the model. It's too much work. The guy that originally designed the current GE:S sniper model was pro and did it just to put it on a resume. I doubt he is even around anymore. I cannot actually believe they accepted and used the model as it's very bland. Not a homage to goldeneye at all, but oh well. My comment will probably get removed so view it while you still can  ;)

Here is what I suggest to you. If you are REALLY conflicted about the matter. Model a new sniper rifle, texture it, and hand it in to the dev team. They will probably accept it because they know, deep down inside that the current sniper rifle is bullshit. It will have to be somewhat decent though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:25:06 am by GoldeneyeLizard »

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 08:07:58 am »

Speculation that I had years ago.

And so are your accusations against the team, and whom modeled the sniper rifle.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up