GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 07:16:55 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GE:S Exposure!  (Read 11563 times)

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
GE:S Exposure!
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:46:05 pm »

I'm just going to copy my post form the WNx forums onto here:

Quote from: WNxNozzy
Okay, so anyone who has played GE:S recently has to have noticed the amount of players we have in-game these days, or rather the lack thereof... amirite?

We really need to get more people interested in GE:S and get our player base back... I'm sure there are people out there we just need to get them to see us.
For now I've got one idea, and it works... I've seen it work. =P

Does anyone know what Stumbleupon (http://www.stumbleupon.com) is? If you do you probably already understand what it can do for a site (and how addicting it is) if you do not, however, you should by all means give a look!

Basically it allows a person to randomly browse the web for interesting sites of all kinds based on their personal interests, gaming included, actually pretty much everything you can think of... and it has a very large number of users. So why not use this to help get the word on GE:S out? It already has a little bit! I found that the main page, and the trailer on youtube were both already stumbled, I even added the Wiki page to that list. The problem was that they all only had a 2 star rating... likely because few people have even seen it to give it a chance to rate it higher. We can fix this though!

Stumbleupon works based on a thumbs up/thumbs down system... you either like it or you don't. The sites with the more thumbs up get the most exposure, pretty straightforward. If we could get every GE:S player to give it a thumbs up we can help give it a kickstart... we just need people willing to help out.

Not only am I practically introducing you to a legal, health-risk free form of heroin, I am trying to help get our GE:S player base back!
So if you want to help that out (and possibly become addicted to SU) just give it a download, it's just a small browser addon.

Then head to these sites and give them each a "thumbs up": YouTube Trailer (), Official Page (http://www.goldeneyesource.net), Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye:_Source), Moddb Page (http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source)

It can at least get things going in a good direction!
If you have any other ideas on how to get the word out I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Could not figure out how to get hyperlinks to work at all... xD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:52:31 pm by Nozzy06 »
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
Re: GE:S Exposure!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:00 pm »

Well, this is the first time I have ever heard of Stumbleupon.  You're definitely right in pointing out that there are much fewer players in GES during these past 2-3 months.  I'd certainly be willing to help out with this.  :)

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03:51 pm »

well i know that we keep a pretty good flow of ppl through our server

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:05:34 pm »

The problem isn't about our server... its about GE:S as a whole. This is for the entire GE:S community to help with not just WNx, it has nothing to do with our severs in particular. We can both agree that Doorman is God is stealing traffic for both of us in some form and if we can just get more players everyone wins. I'd like to see the days where we had like 10 full severs come back, personally.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:07:57 pm by Nozzy06 »
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:28:14 pm »

There's a lot of reasons why there's such a small player base at the moment. Some exposure would do it a lot of good!

I see new players every week who come and go. Most of them check out the mod, find that hardly anyone plays and they give up on it... it's a sad fact. There's a lot of other little reasons that are deterring new players...

Like the forum for instance... it's something of a shambles. If someone was interested in the mod and they came to look at some development media what they find are a load of threads dated 2007 and the only one dated 2009 is just 'Images are down'. A lot of people would get the impression that the mod was dead just from this.

Also there's a considerable difficulty curve for new players, especially against more seasoned players... In LTK or MWGG or just generally up against players with RCP90/AR33/mines/shotguns/gold or silver pp7, new players are like matchsticks in a woodchipper. Personally I try not to go too hard on new players.. and give them a chance, use inferior weapons and such because I know that if they get frustrated with the mod early on they'll probably quit. Others aren't so graceful about that... Don't get me started on Cradle LTK campers.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »

Work is going to be done on the media section, it's been brought up how absolutely old and ugly the pre-beta 1 screenshots on there are.

As for new players, new help and information features have been added to Beta 4 to help out those who have never played the game before.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 05:46:15 pm »

There's a lot of reasons why there's such a small player base at the moment. Some exposure would do it a lot of good!

I see new players every week who come and go. Most of them check out the mod, find that hardly anyone plays and they give up on it... it's a sad fact. There's a lot of other little reasons that are deterring new players...

Like the forum for instance... it's something of a shambles. If someone was interested in the mod and they came to look at some development media what they find are a load of threads dated 2007 and the only one dated 2009 is just 'Images are down'. A lot of people would get the impression that the mod was dead just from this.

Also there's a considerable difficulty curve for new players, especially against more seasoned players... In LTK or MWGG or just generally up against players with RCP90/AR33/mines/shotguns/gold or silver pp7, new players are like matchsticks in a woodchipper. Personally I try not to go too hard on new players.. and give them a chance, use inferior weapons and such because I know that if they get frustrated with the mod early on they'll probably quit. Others aren't so graceful about that... Don't get me started on Cradle LTK campers.

You're right, hardly anyone is playing and every now and then when I join a server there's like 1 or 2 ppl playing with one or both of them quitting after a couple of rounds or the first mapchange. I don't know that learning curve problem, since it's like 'you aim-you shoot-you hit' and I cannot exactly remember it from back when I started playing GE: S but I think most players having played the original would be eager to play this mod even if they wouldn't be that successful in the beginning.
The base problem is: if there are only a few ppl (up to 3) playing, the ones getting bashed would get annoyed and the ones winning permanently would get bored. If there were more ppl there would be more diversity and not only "winning one" and "losing one", meaning they could measure their improving skill against one another more precisely granting them a feeling of success more often.
What about trying to get the servers occupied with ppl from the forums at regular times on a daily basis? (or at least one or two days per week?)
Anyone supporting that idea?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 09:04:41 pm »

I dont mean to sound harsh saying this, but, making posts where you mention a lack of players will only contribute to showing outsiders/skeptics that there is a deadzone on servers or mod issues in general..

You could talk more positively. Instead of mentioning your opinions on the playerbase, which are always based on a frustration we understand you have, you could channel that negative feeling you have and steer it towards a notion of language such as "we could always use more players, come on folks, lets rally".

You must appreciate negativity certainly will either do nothing or create more of the same at worst.

the forum for instance... it's something of a shambles. If someone was interested in the mod and they came to look at some development media what they find are a load of threads dated 2007 and the only one dated 2009 is just 'Images are down'. A lot of people would get the impression that the mod was dead just from this.

Those people would be a little flakey to be considered potential playerbase if they responded as such to a forum section. In my estimate, seeing that we have threads from 2007 is more of a sign of how longstanding we are. Contrary to what SSL states, seeing old screens is a reminder of the improvements we make over time. It proves we arent a "new" mod. Some people even on moddb still think this mod came from nowhere. Ive tried to mention at every PR opportunity that we are over 5 years old now. If not for the lameness of forum data loss, you would be able to see threads from '05 even.

The one area im willing to concede, and probably is the solution to any dimming of player frequency ; Is that we haven't yet been able to "release often". We are working on how deep into that philosophy we can commit, and also strategies for creating buzz and cementing those exposures into higher playercounts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:15:22 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 10:11:48 pm »

The negative aspect can't really be avoided, especially if it's to be tackled. It's better that it's discussed now so that a solution can be found. Beta 4 is going to bring a lot of new players as well as returning old ones. I think as a community we do all have to encourage growth of the player base for our own sake.

WNx have really done a great service to the mod so far with regards to players, their servers are in the very small number of active ones.

What about trying to get the servers occupied with ppl from the forums at regular times on a daily basis? (or at least one or two days per week?)
Anyone supporting that idea?

Absolutely, I think it could be a really good way of maintaining a consistent player level. Even if it's just once or twice a week. The GE:S steam group could be very useful for this, just mentioning to new players that they should join this group would be a great start if the group chat was used at those times.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:04:15 pm »

I know most of WNx and OWS both post on forums and play every night.

people like: PPK, EMH Mark I (Earthworm Jimbo ingame), Drukkqaddik, 7Fox, SLX, Ricky, SPECTRE v7 (manbearpig Ingame)

So your best bet is to start befriending some of these people.

And to Nozzy

Code: [Select]

[url=LINK GOES HERE]    WHAT YOU WANT THE LINK TO SAY, GOES HERE[/url]

WHAT YOU WANT THE LINK TO SAY, GOES HERE

Also very useful:

Here's a Windows Gadget i use to monitor Some of my favorite Steam Servers population

U can download it here
http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=0bb51a58-ad01-456d-ad0c-295368c51104&bt=1&ppud=0&wa=wsignin1.0

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:14:09 pm by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 12:33:15 am »

The negative aspect can't really be avoided, especially if it's to be tackled. It's better that it's discussed now so that a solution can be found. Beta 4 is going to bring a lot of new players as well as returning old ones. I think as a community we do all have to encourage growth of the player base for our own sake.

You really just missed my point.

Perfect analysis, think about the market economy and then prove me im wrong. So here is the question for the budding GE:S fan in all of you, are you looking to be a contributor to a booming market or are you one of those people who insists they love the market but is talking constantly about how risky and how dodgy the market is.

If the answer is A, keeping playing, spread positive attitudes in game, welcome newcomers and keep playing.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 05:32:55 pm »

In a perfect world we would have Agent, Secret Agent & 00-Agent servers, each of them populated ofc.
Newbies would start on Agent servers till their skill level is good enough for joining Secret Agent servers.
There they could advance even more to reach the skill level for the 00-Agent servers.

Now if someone ranked agent would like to join a 00-Agent server, it would be possible and if he succeeds, it'll boost his ranking even more, but if a 00-Agent would like to join a lower rank server, he would be denied.

Did i mention we ain't living in a perfect world?

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 03:41:40 pm »

Servers for different skill levels isn't a great idea to me, ideal world or not.. it would divide the playerbase, making people on agent servers feel inadequate when they really want to consider themselves as being very good at what they're playing.

In the last few days I've told at least 3 new players about using shift to aim when they asked if there was a crosshair, I was the only person to do so aswell. I think you can pretty much take any terrible player and explain that they should be using aim and going for headshots and they'll improve very quickly.

The Gun Game gamemode on Octopussy's Wetspot server is actually very noob-friendly and a good educative tool in teaching new players about the damage value of weapons, and it does give new players a fighting chance since invariably having a lower score means you have a more powerful weapon in your hands than people with more kills than you.

Anyway, going back to the subject of exposure.. I'd really like to see a developer interview. Perhaps on Podcast 17 or Moddb's Developer Banter. I myself have discovered many good mods through listening to these podcasts and they're a great form of exposure since they both feature all over moddb, I know GE:S was mentioned on Podcast 17 a few weeks ago because of the news update, and I know they'd be more than happy to have GE:S developers on the show.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:44:00 pm by Mangley »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:58:39 pm »

Its in the works. I did the show in march just after our 3.1 release. William just didnt put it on moddb because of a busy week.

When i heard our mention on podcast 17 for october media blitz, I sent him an email where he replied no room at that time, so i replied we get closer to a release ill let him know and low and behold his response was whenever that is we'll be made room on there quickfire. The moddb developer banter I think may be possible AFTER a release as a reflective thing as we discuss the year gone and the mod team in general.

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04:13 pm »

On the topic of skill-based servers; while in a perfect world they'd work, there's a couple of things:

1) Playing with friends.
2) Trying to play with anyone.

With reference to (1), if I've been playing GES non-stop for weeks and want to introduce my friend to the game, I won't be able to play with them as they'll be a "noob" and we'll be seperated by skill level, or rank. As for (2)...while they would be a good thing to have on the server list, if all servers were classified in this way then players in a smaller skill-group (most likely to be the 00-Agents, or equivalent highest rank) wouldn't be able to play unless there were other 00-Agents on GES at the time. However if we had a group of official, rank-based servers for people to be guaranteed to play against players of a similar skill - maybe with a Dystopia-esque style rank system - then I'd think it would be an awesome addition, and would be an easier way of welcoming new players.

As for exposure...whilst there is "official" or "planned" exposure, we can all do our little bit. This all starts with playing. If we're playing the game, it means the servers are filled more, people are more likely to join and experience the gameplay. Simple things like spreading GES through word of mouth (I'm constantly forcing the game in people's faces in other game sections in WNx) helps a great deal. Nozzy's idea is a wicked one; not only because it could boost the mod's popularity, but also because I've never heard of Stumbleupon before and it's pretty damn fun :P
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up