GoldenEye: Source Forums

• August 24, 2024, 03:37:35 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Original / Generic Hurt Sounds?  (Read 7971 times)

M249-M4A1

Original / Generic Hurt Sounds?
« on: September 24, 2009, 04:25:31 am »

I was wondering if using the original enemy hurt sounds from Goldeneye 64 would be considered "legal". I have archived all the sounds with the highest quality and no background sound. I ask if its "legal" only because these are generic sounds. The same sounds that were used in the game are used in movies and commercials too, so I don't know if Nintendo specifically has "rights" to these sounds; I don't even know where they were originally recorded. I was planning to use these sounds instead of the lame ones that come with HL2. Oh and also, two of the sounds that were used in Goldeneye are ALSO in the HL2 sound GCF:

/root/hl2/sound/ambient/voices/citizen_beat1.wav etc.

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
Re: Original / Generic Hurt Sounds?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:36:47 am »

Legal as in having the Developers add it into the Mod or for you alone add the sounds in client-side?  If the original sounds were to be added to the Mod, then everyone that downloads the Mod has to legally have bought and still own Goldeneye 64.  As for you ripping the sounds straight from the game it's perfectly fine to add your own sounds off of your computer, but for the sounds to be added to the Mod installation files would not be likely to happen.

I'm not completely sure about the legal rights of the sound files and/or specific files of the game, but I do know that in order for you to have a backup of the Goldeneye 64 Rom on your computer, you must legally own the game.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:31:40 am »

Well, if the sounds are from a sound FX CD/lib, it depends on if it's free to use or has to be licenced.
There are some CD's with a huge ammount of licence free sound fx which can be purchased.

However, if we don't know where these sounds are from and whether or not they are free, we cannot use them.

Ofc. you're free to change the sound on your client if you want to, but don't blame us when you break something.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »

Let's say some of us are into making their own soundeffects, would it basically be difficult to substitute the game sounds and soundeffects without a) change the mod code and b) without overwriting existing sounds and soundeffect in folders that are not only used by GE: S but also HL2 or something else?

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:35:57 pm »

No copyrighted material can be copied and become a part of Goldeneye Source.  Posession of the cart or lack thereof by our players is moot.

Some of the sounds used in Goldeneye 007 are widely-spread stock sounds.  If we were to buy license to those stock sounds we could use them, though we still could not simply copy the versions used in Goldeneye 007 because that isn't what we would've bought a license to.

If you record the sounds off of your N64 and make a sound kit for your installation of GES, you're fine.  All you need to do is put the sound files in the correct position of the directory system and Source will load them up automatically.

If you distribute that kit to your friends, you copied that floppy and go directly to jail.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

ThePlumb3r

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • ThePlumb3r has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:11 pm »

No copyrighted material can be copied and become a part of Goldeneye Source.  Posession of the cart or lack thereof by our players is moot.

Some of the sounds used in Goldeneye 007 are widely-spread stock sounds.  If we were to buy license to those stock sounds we could use them, though we still could not simply copy the versions used in Goldeneye 007 because that isn't what we would've bought a license to.

If you record the sounds off of your N64 and make a sound kit for your installation of GES, you're fine.  All you need to do is put the sound files in the correct position of the directory system and Source will load them up automatically.

If you distribute that kit to your friends, you copied that floppy and go directly to jail.

Without your $200.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 04:07:37 pm »

Win.

Well, good to know the legal stuffs. I assume downloading said sounds if used on your client is fine.
(I would think so.)
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 04:21:47 pm »

Assume? Danger, Will Robinson.  Downloading illicit sound files makes you equally culpable.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:07 pm »

Assumption is a bad habit of mine.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 04:50:56 am »

GoldenEye: Source does NOT condone the illegal use of sound files inserted among our game files. Should you use a sound instead of ours that is all above board, that is completely up to you!

But, if you "rip" rom sounds against goldeneye64 licensing just realize that is a felony even limited to your own computer ; much less spreading it around though the internet via your friends. (some people are religious and against committing violations of law thus "sinning", may not realize without such a warning their actions arent harmless to the letter of law)

I once heard these religious folk (teens) would copy music for each other all the time (this was around 2001) and to be a troublemaker i chatted to them the idea it was illegal, they attempted to explain it wasnt illegal because piracy is such as paying for it, and what they do is just sharing. LOL must admitt i just loved having given them the knowledge they sinned against societies laws.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:02:58 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

The Beatles pwn j00!

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 11:27:31 pm »

Seems odd that you took the discussion in a religious direction. But yes, we Christians are told to obey the laws of the government we live under (Romans 13:1-7), unless the laws of said gov't would have us do something that is against what God has commanded (Acts 5:29).

Anyway, are these sounds indeed unlicensed? Who needs to be talked to? Can you not get permission to implement them?

Is it Rare? Nintendo? 100 other random companies? Ugh. It's just a couple sounds used to pay homage. Would they really take legal action against anyone for this?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:20:11 am by JessEH [The Beatles pwn j00!] »

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 09:55:20 am »

As you already recognized, in order to have the original sounds on every client legally, it would be necessary to have the dev team purchase them for the mod. Since the mod is (and has to be) non-profit and I think to buy the sounds would be a little expensive, that probably isn't going to happen.

And to answer your question: they usually take legal actions when you least expect it - so it's sensible the dev team won't distribute sounds they don't own and jeopardize the whole project by doing so.

Conclusion: everyone who wants to use the original sounds legally has to buy them himself/herself. If someone intends to use them illegally I guess no one's going to stop him/her as long as no one knows....

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:25:44 pm »

To get around all of this legal crap the laws that we should follow or be arrested for breaking, we should probably make our own sounds. Like the weapon sounds: they're not in the N64 version, but they're better anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up