GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 22, 2024, 05:35:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Control Setup  (Read 6853 times)

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
My Control Setup
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:17:42 am »

I didn't really like the default controls so I played with it for awhile and found a few different formations until I found one very good one. To start, I changed a few minor things like crouch to Q and quick weapon to T.

The main thing about it is changing Aim Mode to Right Mouse button. This helps tremendously in those quick situations and feels comfortable when sniping. By doing this you would have to replace the Secondary Attack with shift or another button.

That's about it. Just wanted to give a few tips on control settings.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
Re: My Control Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:06 am »

Only down side with your choice for aim mode on mouse2 is that you lose the ability to quickly detonate remote mines.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:29:54 am »

I put my secondary fire on Q with aim as right mouse.

That way I can easily aim and blow people up at the touch of a button.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:44:25 am »

i dont think binding mic to alt as default was a good idea ether. Lol

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:56:57 am »

i dont think binding mic to alt as default was a good idea ether. Lol
For people who don't use then it wouldn't really matter.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:34:39 am »

I gotta say everyone has their own opinions on a keyboard setup.. i use the same setup for every pc game i play and try to keep it the same from FPS - RPG :D

i could never crouch with Q and quick weapon to T that seems backwards to me.. i switched mouse2 and shift over so now i +attack2 with shift and scope/aim with right click... it's a view of personal choice really.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:22:09 am »

Chat: y
Teamchat: x
Voice: c
Use: e
Screenshoot: q
Aiming: f
Jump: ctrl
spray: t

Nesseight

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Nesseight has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:30:44 pm »

It's all matter of personal preference, but I strongly suggest for the sake of your own sanity that W, A, S, and D are used for movement as they are in most games. I used to rebind that all to the number pad in every game I played but got sick of rebinding every time I wanted to play a game so I relearned the proper WASD. Also, if you're used to console games and are playing with a joypad, seriously try to learn the mouse, it's awkward at first but in the long run will drastically improve your game.

All the keys directly around WASD are fair game, however. For instance, in WoW I find a lot of default keys set to do stupid things, like "c" brings up the character screen, "x" sits, "z" unsheathes. "q" and "e" unnecessarily strafe left and right. These are horrendous wastes of keys which should be used for important spells (save the "clicking" for bringing up menus). WoW doesn't require the same precision as an FPS, however the same applies to any game where you have multiple functions. Quick-switching weapons with "q" is good in GES, but kind of vital in Counter-Strike (and decedents).

In summary, use WASD for movement, and the easiest keys for you to press that are nearby for important functions. Avoid sacrificing freedom of strafing to voice-chat or anything else that requires extended holding down of a badly positioned key, though.

Also, I used to use "ALT" to crouch in CS... that's bad because sometimes when you check the scoreboard, you die. It's an easy key for voice-chat... but "TAB" still brings up the scoreboard... lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up