GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 22, 2024, 03:23:20 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Weapon spread  (Read 13082 times)

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
Weapon spread
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:54:07 pm »

It is way off, for some weapons its good but for others its just silly.
some pistols are more accurate than assault rifles over long distance.
http://rapidshare.com/files/195308755/badspread.dem
Best if youturn paintball mode on
ge_paintball 1

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Weapon spread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:41 pm »

I understand you would like to have a word with me and the statistics I collected directly from Goldeneye 007 by tracing the values as the game caculates projectile strike locations in the game world.

Because you wouldn't just pop out of nowhere with nothing to back your argument but FPS clichés like "pistols always suck" and try to stand it before me.  That'd be silly.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »

Well from the servers I have played the PP7 pistol is a spawn weapon mostly so why bother picking up an automatic assault rifle if the pistol is better over  greater distance?  At first I though it was the damages that they dealt but after further investigating  it is their spread thats the reason why they dominate.
Nothing to do with cliche's just good weapon balance.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:07:47 am by keefy »

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:16:43 am »

Heh, VC spent weeks calcuating the weapon spreads from GE007 and balancing weapons against each other, and we did a lot of playtesting with them.  Of course the beta isn't perfect, and we will continue to improve stuff, but I would recommend playing the game for more than a day before coming to a conclusion that the weapons are horribly skewed.  We think they are pretty good, and they will get better, but take some time to really play with them before coming to a conclusion.

Personally I'll take an AR33, Phantom, or RCP 90 against a guy with a PP7 any day.
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:56:38 am »

the big reason the developers are Rare made the pistols more accurate was to balance them to make them formidable against automatic weapons with larger clips and hirer firing rates.

if your better at killing people with pistols than you are with automatics, that's just your preference for your playing style.

ill take a RCP90 over a PP7 any day cause i spray and pray
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:13 am »

PP7 Unsilenced (and the premium versions) are extremely accurate. Which is why they are rare; if you look at the loadouts in Goldeneye 007, you don't see PP7 unsilenced except as the top weapon behind Golden Gun in the Golden Gun loadout.

Since many servers run Random, and there are three kinds of Unsilenced PP7, it appears rather frequently, but it is according to spec.  Very accurate, but woe upon you if you miss because you will die while reloading.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:07:21 am »

Thats the thing, you do not miss because its so accurate and the reload time is almost instant it doest matter.

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:09:50 am »

I never miss
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:25:11 am »

He never misses.  HE IS SERIOUS.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:07 am »

Thats the thing, you do not miss because its so accurate and the reload time is almost instant it doest matter.

and as a result the gun balances against automatic riffles. the team can yack your ear off about weapon balancing in GE 64. and try not to get VC started he will go on for days about weapon numbers haha.

since the game isn't COD4 or CS pistols can match up against an assault riffle if you have the skill to use them properly.
Fonfa
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:38:56 am »

In CS, if you are good, you can take most players down with your Glock.

About the pistols. I personally think they are balanced. They have less recoil than an assault rifle, although they also have a shorter barrel. It is just a matter of balancing things, so that you have a chance against an AR33 with a pistol. It is a skill weapon by the way and I love to play with the PP7. Too bad I keep running on people wielding RCP90's, and my skill with it ain't that good either.

One weapon that I think has a great spread is the Klobb. It is a freakin' joke! Very faithful to the original, where you were better off with slappers than with the Klobb, 'cause it made you waste 9mm rounds...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:11:41 pm by PPK »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:18:15 pm »

I know what you are saying but you are wrong.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:20:39 pm »

Tell me please why am I wrong, if it is with me you were talking. Make me one favor aswell, don't come with the "realism" argument.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:35:03 pm by PPK »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 05:08:52 pm »

Thing is these are goldeneye mechanics in place. Please, if you would entertain us just let it settle in your system and play for a week or two then you will find the reflective view of your current view will be quite different. Hell, even some devs once the "true" goldeneye behaviours were put in found it very frustrating and I think many had to swallow their urge to complain for change.

If in a while of playing you still believe this viewpoint with regard to spray cones, come back with a refined solution in your eyes. We love to hear feedback ;)

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:53:13 pm »

If this is the depth of your criticism, we arent going to be able to improve the game to our community's standards. we need more information and solid reasoning as to why you feel the numbers are wrong before any changes can be made.
Fonfa

SLX - bring condoms
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up