GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 19, 2024, 04:25:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GoldenEye Source Wiki  (Read 15171 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
GoldenEye Source Wiki
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:27:31 am »

I have a few things to say, so sorry if this gets a little confusing.

So as a lot of people know, the Wiki is in a state of disaster. There are a few good articles, while most others are others are completely empty, and some are just there for place holders. I was wondering if I could maintain the Wiki. I have sent PM's to both Spider and Dr.NO regarding the matter, but they either are ignoring me (I would hope not), or they have E-mails turned off and have yet to realize that I have tried to contact them.

I know most Wiki's are open to the public to edit, but I wanted to ask first before I went around changing things. Another reason I wanted permission was with the up-coming release of Beta 3. I thought the Devs might have had A Wiki update already thought out, and if I went around changing things, people might get pissed off. My main plan I had in mind was to set a standard for the information being displayed.

The map page would be arranged into sections with Released, Un-released (Maps that are being worked on will have a page with it's current information, while other will just be link-less text), and Member Submitted (Un-Official in other words). I would have a default size for images (I'm thinking 1024x768), and maybe a boarder that went at the top and bottom; stating the map name, the creator, and the GoldenEye Source logo. For every article, I would like to have four images; two in the side bar, and two more at the bottom, and I would have links at the bottom of the page that lead to forum topics about it, that would contain other information and images.

With official maps, I would talk to the developer and have a short interview with them, so I could find out some inspiration they used, if they was going for a GE64 remake, or were theytrying to bring the GoldenEye Movie into play. With Member submitted maps, I might still interview them, but I can see it being not as involved.

For the weapons articles, I plan to get statistics on how many shots are in a round, how many bullets can you hold total, how many bullets are in a ammo box, and how much damage each shot gives. Other information like what was the model based off of, is it armor piercing or will it be silenced is already up there, but it could be displayed slightly easier. When Beta 3 is released, I plan to say what weapon sets each weapon is in.

Other articles like "LOL Another Day" need to have their own section that can be accessed easily from the main page. I only found that article from the "Random Article" button. I was also thinking of having a section for the past and present developers, so we can have a bit of in-site into their pasts.

If the Devs already have a plan, then you can ignore this topic, but if you think that the Wiki needs some updating, then consider this my resume. I have worked slightly on the Sonic Retro Wiki and I have had my own site and forums before (The Sonic Compressed Art Archive). I was the lead developer on a hack that is currently on hold (Sonic: Pixel Perfect), and I have lead and completed three themes for the Frets on Fire mod "FoFiX" (Guitar Hero 1, 2, and 80's themes). I have also taken a web design class in Grade 10 and 11 (Currently 12), so I have a fair bit of experience with HTML.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: GoldenEye Source Wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:04:05 am »

The easiest way to get weapon statisics is to ask VC.

The wiki is indeed a heap of fail. Expecially on weapons, where some noobtrain came through and derailed all the articles with real-world-weapon blabber.  I don't speak officially, but if you feel like straightening the wiki up, more power to you.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:17:17 am »

No problem from me. I honestly feel as though the Wiki needs to be private, as far as any editing goes, at least to specific pages that we don't want people messing with.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:23:12 am »

Can we split it?  Throw the current wiki into dev-only viewing since we still have a few reference works in there (e.g., my Live and Let Die draft) and let taco here make a new one since he's willing to contribute?  Hell, I'll even write up info on the corrected weapons in that case.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:25:21 am by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:39:58 am »

Have talked with him on Steam before, seems he has all the right ideas and intentions.

Would be good to have just a few people in control of the Wiki (can you even lock a wiki?), then a part of the forum maybe for suggestions or if someone wants a custom map to be on it and there info about the map, etc.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:09:46 am »

sounds like a good plan to meif you do a good job, and get some video skillz there might be a PR gig for you on the dev team.
sorry for not checking my PM i'm a retard when it comes to doing that i always forget heha.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:31:48 am »

You can lock the wiki but that means editing settings files on the server and since Scott is int around i dont think that will happen any time soon.

JcFerggy

• JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:48:08 am »

Well I'm not exact ally sure what to do now. I agree that certain pages should locked from the public, but the only way I would be able to update the Wiki with those conditions would be to become a mod on the Wiki.

I'm going to get started with the updating, so I spun the random wheel and I landed on Natalya, so I'm going to start by uploading new images for the side bar. If it matters, I'm using an emulator, but I do in fact have the cartridge. I also plan to get new shots from the movie, but I have to see if I can borrow it from a friend, since I do not own it.

*Reads Mark's posts*
I believe you can lock individual topics, but that would be un-necessary.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:36 am »

Err dont modify current pages, make some new placeholder ones to show us your formatting plans for w/e section ideas you have. That'd be an acceptable step here. Dont ask dev team members in private for information to fill it, beta3 isnt out yet of course or even announced. PR is the focus of any information being published. The wiki is not PR (just like those pesky blogs) it is simply documentation and should be treated as PRESENT/PAST TENSE, so its not the #1 priority until later, in and around the release itself. Thats when all that information will either be inserted by us, or be gathered by you depending on the level of PR'd documentation out there.

So template away by all means im all for supporting that initiative, it will help us as every good little contribution does from our community.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:03:35 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 04:07:42 am »

Err dont modify current pages
Why? The main asset of a wiki is to have an history, so if people's modifications don't fit you, you can revert them any time. I'd say go for it, modify at will existing pages, Wiki is in deep need of revamping.
And if you dev guys want to save from public editing a page or two, or your article, use the Semi protection (any sysop can do that), no need for config files or slip-thing.

edit :- http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Protecting_and_unprotecting_pages
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:31:55 am by Doc.NO »

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:15:23 am »

I genuinely LOL'd at CHANGES IN BETA 3 and then its a blank page. I know you guys just haven't updated it, but it was just spur of the moment funny hehe.
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:18 am »

Dammit, Wake, why you gotta be busting Taco's balls?  Did an echidna crawl up your bum and now you're taking it out on internets?

Just do your thing, it's a wiki and anything stupid can be reverted. 

JcFerggy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:10:25 pm »

I thank those who support my idea. As for editing current articles, I remember stumbling onto an article about the Inuit on Wikipedia that just read "they lik to piss theyr panties", and I changed it back to it's former self. Once I change a few articles, and you think you are reading something similar to that Inuit article, I'll gladly back off on editing, but I plan to go into this upgrading already existing articles, instead of re-writing everything to how I would have said it (Unless the article just said "Map by XY").

As for actually editing, it will have to wait for the weekend, since I found out that I have a research paper due Thursday, and I have about one URL for my research, no notes or anything else.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »

Its not that i dont support you, its that I dont support everything you want out of this.

With official maps, I would talk to the developer and have a short interview with them, so I could find out some inspiration they used, if they was going for a GE64 remake, or were theytrying to bring the GoldenEye Movie into play. With Member submitted maps, I might still interview them, but I can see it being not as involved.

For the weapons articles, I plan to get statistics on how many shots are in a round, how many bullets can you hold total, how many bullets are in a ammo box, and how much damage each shot gives. Other information like what was the model based off of, is it armor piercing or will it be silenced is already up there, but it could be displayed slightly easier. When Beta 3 is released, I plan to say what weapon sets each weapon is in.

See entailed in your goals is gathering information off developers of things we havent actually released, or even media released yet in many cases. Thats the parts I think the team should be seeing in your initial post, rather than just thinking "oh cool someone is fixing our messy wiki"

JcFerggy

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:51:10 pm »

I think you might have miss understood what I meant. I want to find out what the developers used for inspiration on already made material. I don't plan to go asking around for leaks of information on W.I.P. stuff. An example of this would be me asking what the developers used as a reference for Facility. I get the impression that you think I would do the same for Runway, a level that has only been seen through a window, or maybe even Streets, a level that has little information about (From what I've seen, I could be wrong).

Lastly, it is the choice of the creator of the material to release this information, so if they choose to keep quiet about it, then I will try to create an article around that.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up