GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:52:45 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 17, 2008 - Updates  (Read 17883 times)

Anthony

• GES Plugin Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Anthony has no influence.
March 17, 2008 - Updates
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:02 am »

Hey guys,
Sorry for the lack of blogs, been swamped with laziness. No, seriously, been a bit busy. Just so you guys know, we are still working hard, and our sweatshop ran by little Korean boys is trucking! Here is a little summary of the stuff in the code department that was recently worked on.

HUD Elements
A lot of the classic feel has to do with HUD elements, believe it or not. Just seeing the health bar that we know and love can put a smile on your face. Right now there is two more things on the checklist in terms of HUD: ammunition indication and weapon selection menus. The ammunition indicator is extremely straight-forward, and should not be too difficult to recreate considering the simlicity of the original. As for weapon selection, I am stuck as far as design goes. I think we have a general idea of how we want to represent a selection menu, but I am not incredibly sure if we have a finalized decision. *cough* Suggestions? *cough*  ::)

Gamemodes / LUA
Killer Monkey has been pretty much raping LUA like it was a baby. I love the internet, its even politically correct here! Basically the idea is simple. LUA files define each gamemode, and in LUA you have the LUA library functions, as well as tons of functions exposed to modify player and game properties. An example would be if you wanted to print to the server console you would just do:
Code: [Select]
local x = 7;
Msg("Can I has the value of x: %d",x);
Keep in mind I do not work with LUA too much, but the outcome of that statement would be:
Code: [Select]
Can I has the value of x: 7
Yeah, good shit. You can script on top of the game to make GES more entertaining for the end-user without having a bunch of knowledge of memory and all that other good stuff.

Weapons
Mario is working very hard to recreate the weapons to be as accurate to the original as possible, as well as designing ways for us to dual with ease. I can not say very much about this as I know it is in its early stages, but if I know Mario, I know that this will be done correctly and should bring back the Goldeneye that we came to love as young peoples.

Thanks for reading.
Your coder,
Anthony Iacono

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
Re: March 17, 2008 - Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:45:23 am »

Since you asked for a suggestion for weapon selection my idea on their design would be, 3D side profiles of the weapons on selection. Since that would be as close as to the original.

Thats how I would make them', except without the clock hands in the background. Of course you would also be using side profiles of the new models. Also notice how the 3D view is ghosted.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:54:58 am by Sporkfire »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 03:47:38 am »

The most exciting part about LUA is having servers being able to define "events" that happen to players say when they reach 10 kills they glow red or whatever. That is what is getting me all tingly. Along with this release will be an extensive list of commands that can be implemented in LUA to modify the gameplay. I hope you guys go to town with it, I think it will bring endless diversity to the mod!

I think a Call of Duty (1/2) style weapon switch will be nice, the revolving scroll list that fades in at the top and bottom and displays the currently scrolled weapon in all its glory in the middle.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:49:36 am by killermonkey »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:17:38 am »

:: Thats how I would make them'

Where Silenced is its own seperate weapon?  I like you.  +1.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:22:21 am »

Sweet, I like the fact that we'll have some options to fiddle with.  :P Great update guys!

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:42:46 am »

Nice job with the update anthony and killermonkey and spork and everyone else. You guys are doing great. I can really say you guys are doing dedicated work. Oh! and Anthony...don't get to lazy now:) Do your work hahah just kidding man. I know you do this for your free time. Don't rush it :D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »

:: Thats how I would make them'

Where Silenced is its own seperate weapon?  I like you.  +1.
LOL... post a message with silenced weap' or number of palet of the shotty, and you'll have VC in the thread in the minute.

As for the weapon selection, what Sporkfire suggested is pretty good: something with green color & 3D side of the gun, like the original.

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:23:02 am »

So Anthony,

Any new coding going on recently? Compared to before when you wrote everyday it seemed like..it isn't so much anymore. :) I am sure you are doing something but I just LOVE hearing about the coding adventures :D I find it hard to understand but very interesting to hear.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:35:16 am »

Heh, come on dude, its only been 4 days since this post.  We have real lives too you know. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:53:25 pm »

Please read my signature block for explanation about "Real Lives"

CCsaint10

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 07:29:04 am »

yeah... I understand.. I just hearing about new code..tis fascinating :D

networkfusion

• Agent
  • networkfusion has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:11:31 pm »

I found an artical about the making of goldeneye 64 by the games designer Martin Hollis, I thought it was really interesting...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/gaming_ge64_making_of.php3?t=&s=articles
Pages: [1]   Go Up