GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 05:52:10 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie like no-ones business!  (Read 10917 times)

Lukekols

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Lukekols has no influence.
Newbie like no-ones business!
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:25:21 pm »

Ok, so one day I happened to come across this whole thing about playing GoldenEye online and I was in disbelief! So I looked more and more into it and I read about the emulator and the GoldenEye rom and all this jazz.  So I got everything set up with the mupen64k emulator and actually have played a few minutes of some multiplayer before the lag got to be too much.  So now I'm looking more and more into it and reading up on this beta 1.0 version stuff and GoldenEye: Source and creating your own levels with the editor and all of this, but I'm still a little confused. 

So basically what I am looking for is...

what else should I download to be the most up to date with the emulator, rom, etc. (like this beta version and all)

what servers are people in to play multiplayer, because I can't seem to find anybody except for a few in Emularena Grounds -{Unit X}

anything else I should know about playing GE online?!?!?

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: Newbie like no-ones business!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:46:43 pm »

Well, emulators and roms are completely different from this mod.  Emulators basically are copies of the original GE64 modified to play on computers.  Goldeneye Source is a modification for Half-Life 2 created from scratch(kinda) by us.
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:50:18 pm »

yes, two completely different projects/sites with different purposes.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:56:09 pm »

You can find help about goldeneye:source & how to install it in the WIKI. You need steam account and a source based game purchased (If you dont have one, the cheaper source based game cost $9.9).
Like Konrad said, goldeneye:SOURCE is a RECREATION of the original nintendo64's game. So everything is better. All levels and characters have been 1337ified. Goldeneye:source is not a rom/emulator/... but a source-based mod
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:58:01 pm by Doc.NO »

Lukekols

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:04:02 pm »

Ok, I understand it now.  You're making improvements to Goldeneye, as I see the photos and maps from the wiki page dedicated to this subject.  So my question is, when will the game be out to play? Or is it already and I am just still that much confused?!

Semedi

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Semedi has no influence.
    • GNardone.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 08:32:24 pm »

It's been out for over two years now  ;D

Here's a good spot to download it from: http://files.filefront.com/Goldeneye+Source+Beta+1/;6429944;/fileinfo.html
Sims 3 Producer - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham

Lukekols

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:22:50 pm »

Ok I got it now.  Thanks.  I'm gonna check it all out a little later when I have time.  But I have to purchase a source based game, like Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, in order to play Goldeneye???

Also, once I go into the game, how do I find where people are playing online at? Is there a list of servers or something?

Semedi

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Semedi has no influence.
    • GNardone.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:03:16 pm »

But I have to purchase a source based game, like Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, in order to play Goldeneye???

Correct. HL2 Deathmatch would likely be your cheapest option, but might I recommend buying Orange Box? So much gaming goodness in one package  :)

Also, once I go into the game, how do I find where people are playing online at? Is there a list of servers or something?

Also correct, there's an easily browseable list of servers that you can hop into games from.
Sims 3 Producer - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 03:37:16 am »

Also correct, there's an easily browseable list of servers that you can hop into games from.
And its much much more easy to use than mupen64+kaillera

Lukekols

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 01:51:17 pm »

And its much much more easy to use than mupen64+kaillera

Well thats good to know, not that Kaillera isn't hard to use.

I just recently bought an adaptor for my ps2 and n64 controllers to play on my computer so now I'm really psyched to try this all out.  But a question about GoldenEye...I see all these maps being redone and modified and such...is it only multiplayer or can we also play solo missions as well? 

Also, I was reading more about this and I see there is a "unofficial" patch, beta 1.1 or something like that.  I am assuming I should download it and install it as well?

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 03:27:06 pm »

is it only multiplayer or can we also play solo missions as well?
It's multiplayer only, at the moment  ::)

Also, I was reading more about this and I see there is a "unofficial" patch, beta 1.1 or something like that.  I am assuming I should download it and install it as well?
Yea. 1.1 fix some major bug. But, dunno why, most of the players still play the old beta 1 :(

Lukekols

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 08:11:01 pm »

So about how many players usually get in on these games? And when are people usually playing? What days, times, servers, ect.??  I know when I try to play the emulator version, there is nobody looking to join or create GoldenEye games... :(

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 02:41:47 am »

I know when I try to play the emulator version, there is nobody looking to join or create GoldenEye games...
Again, goldeneye:source is quite different than mupen64/kaillera.

Spoiler for Hiden:
These days, you will always find one player ready to play: someone spect 24/7 on his home server. Motivated.

More seriously, there are always some peeps playing from ~8 PM GMT to late night.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:01:29 am by Doc.NO »

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 07:47:22 am »

It's all good, I could really care less what you think...I spec so that it creates activity, which in turn gives people a chance to get a game or two in. Believe it or not, it works. I play enough as it is, already.

Lukekols

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 05:05:25 pm »

Well I'm going to try it all out tonight after work, probably around 10ish pm (eastern standard time).  It looks like a lot of fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up