GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 19, 2024, 11:30:29 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hit Registry is off  (Read 15854 times)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Re: Hit Registry is off
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 10:47:58 pm »

They haven't played the original game.  That should be one of the first things you notice if you listen to conversation any time the original game is mentioned.
While it may not be often that someone complains of not killing fast enough without having played the game, both criteria are still met from time to time and that troubles me.
*Besides, I was replying specifically to "Everyone in GE64 was just too busy shooting walls with the very occasional hit".

Turn on any Mega Man game.
Get hit.
See him flashing?
qft.

*~Edit
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:26:33 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »

Everyone in GE64 was just too busy shooting walls with the very occasional hit thanks to the joystick imprecision

This statement could not be any more untrue and it sounds to me like you never played Goldeneye 64, either that or you were bad at it. That was the whole point of the target on Goldeneye which me and people I played against always made great use of, there were plenty of quick kills when we used to play, even long distance and the pad precision was brilliant (Provided they weren't worn out). I've got Perfect Dark on my Xbox 360 and sometimes its just unplayable without the precision of an N64 controller.

However, I agree with this post in that the gameplay suffers in comparison to the original, but what can be done about it? Maybe a piece of code that compensates for the lag and alters the mechanics accordingly during the loading process, or even while the games running.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:52:18 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 03:39:41 am »

THIS IS DISTURBING. Why does this occur? Why aren't my shots giving damage? Why do they get this special invulnerability period? I have never heard of such a situation like that.

Twiggy are you f'in serious man? Read the documentation and then enlighten your friends: http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/V4.1_Release_Documentation#Damage_and_Invulnerability

This is not a mistake, cover up, or poor code. This is the way GE64 handled damage, and handled it well! The focus is NOT on who does the most damage with the most bullets, its who does the most damage with the BEST AIM and TIMING.

People mistake invulnerability for some sort of "hitbox issue". If you took the 5 min out of your day to read our well written documentation, you would realize it is not the case AT ALL.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

The netcode in the OB engine is garbage anyway its too forgiving I often get moved back in time and see enemies do the same when I have killed them.

HL2DM was recently upgraded to OB engine and yes the hitreg is pretty similar (headshots and no kill/damage dealt or grenades doing zero damage when landing at enemies feet and of course the teleporting effect.)  All the same features occur in goldeneye source but are magnified by the invulnerability when shot so you can never be sure if that shot hit and did no damage due to invuln period or bad registration or was it  a hit?

It also doesnt help any when  server admins use crappy low rates which choke the servers up 30KB/second (sv_maxrate 30000)  it needs to be at least double that especially on the 32 player 24/7 cradle servers.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:48:40 pm by keefy »

vexixx

• 00 Newbie
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • vexixx has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 04:54:04 am »

Twiggy are you f'in serious man? Read the documentation and then enlighten your friends: http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/V4.1_Release_Documentation#Damage_and_Invulnerability

This is not a mistake, cover up, or poor code. This is the way GE64 handled damage, and handled it well! The focus is NOT on who does the most damage with the most bullets, its who does the most damage with the BEST AIM and TIMING.

People mistake invulnerability for some sort of "hitbox issue". If you took the 5 min out of your day to read our well written documentation, you would realize it is not the case AT ALL.

I disagree, I very much understand how the game works and still think your hit registry is off some and inconsistent. I don't say that about games ever if I know its fair, but I consonantly find that GES is off. I'm not sure if its a latency issue or what, but something is off. You have to account for it in order to get kills. I had to adjust my playing style.

terps4life90

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 07:30:40 am »

Oh shit i totally forgot about this thread lol. Now that i have been playing this mod or game since 3.0 i have got to say that the hit registry is actually quite good, you will always have to deal with people's shitty ping and lag, if it weren't for those to things i'd say the hit reg is almost perfect.

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:53 pm »

Oh shit i totally forgot about this thread lol. Now that i have been playing this mod or game since 3.0 i have got to say that the hit registry is actually quite good, you will always have to deal with people's shitty ping and lag, if it weren't for those to things i'd say the hit reg is almost perfect.

LANs, ftw.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up