GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 19, 2024, 11:53:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Varying Sizes  (Read 6021 times)

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bissrok has no influence.
Varying Sizes
« on: December 19, 2008, 12:58:32 am »

This isn't something for Beta 3, just an idea for later. What do you guys think about having multiple variations of the same map, to allow for different population sizes (ala Battlefield 2).

Because the original Goldeneye multiplayer maps are meant for four players, and I know a lot of people seem to get frustrated about how quickly they get killed because of the overpopulation. And, yeah, most maps seem to hold more just fine, but it'd be nice if you could select between a 2-4 player map and a 4-8 player version (where new areas are opened up). Plus, you'd be using the same skins and area before, you'd just be taking on a little extra outside of the original map.

Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. I know people have talked about sticking maps together before, but I think it'd be nice if each one could be expandable instead.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:00:31 am by Bissrok »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Varying Sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:03:59 pm »

Most maps allready have "bigger versions", such as stack and basement => Library, Facility Frontzone and Backzone => combined to facility (classic ATM).
Some others are allready big enought like Runway, caves ... .
But there should be a serverplugin which will start a questionvote (on a certain number of players on the server) and a mapvote when enought ppl are for a map change.
It should also select the maps for voting related to the number of players are on the server, so if there is a huge ammount of players, there will be a lot of huge maps in the next map vote.

But this is absolutly a task for some server admins i guess.

I could also imagine servers hosting only classic maps at 4 slots and have jumping disabled, it's all up to the server admins.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
Re: Varying Sizes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:33:59 am »

One of the ideas that we had when we started the MOD was to have dynamic maps,  basically you would have a large level, specific areas would be able to blocked and unblocked depending on the amount of players on the server.
Due to the way our maps are and how the art flow is of the game we cannot incorporate this idea.  I am sure if this team ever goes on to build something else dynamic map sizes could work its way in.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee
Pages: [1]   Go Up