GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 22, 2024, 04:54:39 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The way some of the guns are held in Goldenye.  (Read 7086 times)

Southern Gentlemen

The way some of the guns are held in Goldenye.
« on: September 30, 2007, 05:13:36 pm »

First off I just want to say that this is not a complaint.
This is just something that I find rather peculiar. In the original Goldeneye when you hold a handgun; or anything else that would normally require one hand you have a view like a conventional first person shooter with the view of the shooters hand holding the gun. How ever when you are using anything that would normally require two hands i.e. a rifle, shotgun, submachine gun or rocket launcher you get a view of the gun just sticking out from nowhere like its being held up by some invisible force.  This has also been replicated in Goldeneye Source, why that was done is simple to understand, to give the game the same feel as the original.
But what puzzles me is why it was done in the first place. I know of no other shooter done that way either before or since. I would just like to know your thoughts as to why the developers chose to do it that way.   

fonfa

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • fonfa has no influence.
Re: The way some of the guns are held in Goldenye.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 05:16:20 pm »

Since we're planning on having dual wielding, we can't really just put a hand on the grip. And we got too many guns to do, making them handless makes them REALLY fast to do.
[01:22 PM] fourtecks: YOU NEED ME HARD

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:33:59 pm »

I would guess rare did it that way to increase performance, have more freedom with weapon placement, and duals. 

We are doing it that way to retain the feel, but mostly because of the complications that dual weapons imposes. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 06:41:33 pm »

:: I know of no other shooter done that way either before or since.
There are many aspects that are unique to Goldeneye, or Goldeneye-family games (which would be PD1, TimeSplitters 2)

It was probably done because it means rendering fewer polygons, and most of the rifles cover most of the hand anyway.  N64 was at the limit in Goldeneye.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 03:35:28 am »

yea GE64 pushed the N64 to its absolute breaking point. i don't know how many of you remember but if 4 people had RCP90s and were firing them all at the same time, you would get pretty massive slow down a lot of time.

any area where the developers could cut polys, and reduce the amount of triangles and textures that needed to be drawn on screen, they jumped at the opportunity.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms
Pages: [1]   Go Up