GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 18, 2024, 05:27:04 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of players in Goldeneye Servers  (Read 9475 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Lack of players in Goldeneye Servers
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:44:07 am »

Has anyone come up with a solution to have more players try out Goldeneye Source?

Why is it lacking players?
Is it due to some hardware limitation that many computers don't have and people can't run it? - I highly doubt it since it runs the same engine as counter strike source
Is it lacking custom maps?- Perhaps people may want custom maps and are tired of the same maps over and over.
Is the game play modes?- Maybe people want to play the same mode every round (deathmatch, yolo
Is it due to the lack of nearby servers? Perhaps the servers are too far away and laggy / servers are run by individuals are are causing high latency/not updated.

The GES mod needs more and more exposure.

The game itself is a quality piece of work. The art, music, and gameplay is remarkably outstanding.

I think it needs to be heard by more people. If you guys can give me the Goldeneye source cards (they look like business cards) I will be happy to put them in my store and pass them to my friends.

I feel terrible that its not busy. I really wanted to play this game with 20-30 players.

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
Re: Lack of players in Goldeneye Servers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:08:26 am »

No, it's because of how old the mod is. If you were to showcase how the mod has advanced to players from earlier versions then maybe they would come back. Majority of players join GE:S for the experience, and for a fun time. Once that's up they'll never touch it again. Another reason for this is the fact that GE:S doesn't provide updates at quicker rates than most games, such as if the community provides feedback then altering the game on source with just a handful of programmers would take days or months. So for all of your questions, the statement above is what's really going on. I think our best bet for more exposure is to advertise. We've been advertised a lot, and thankfully no lawsuit or anything of that manner for replicating a game on the 64, so ultimately we should be fine in advertisement as long as we don't get paid.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:36:32 am »

Thank you

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:56:12 am »

I think the learning curve into the game has turned down a lot of players as well, knowing how many gamers can be impatient to get into a game and be a good player from day 1.
I've met a ton of players that played for a week, never to be seen again. Some stayed, most left.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:07:19 am »

Lack of maps or Gamemodes? Nah, i'd say it's the oposit.
Some newbies might just feel lost facing so many different modes and maps.

Also the game handles a lot of things different then the usual FPS, which also might turn off a few ppl.
e.g. Spamming with Rapid fire guns isn't exactly as efficient as in other games.

Compared to a lot of other Source Mods, GES is still quite big and successfull.
Ofc. we'll never be able to compete with the big Games like CSS, but at least there are servers you can play on
and an active community.

bigtuna87

• 00 Newbie
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • bigtuna87 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:48 am »

I'm new here so excuse my n00b-like questions.
Im' only seeing around 3 severs at a time when I search.
Am I missing something? Is there just not that many people playing anymore? I sure hope that's not the case...

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:20:06 am »

Right now, GE:S has 13 servers and 2 of them are passwored.
If you don't uncheck "Show Map List" box in the server browser, you'll only see servers that have people playing on it, which normally are 1-2 and maybe 3 servers. The most active ones are WNx Chicago server, Roadie's Soup Kitchen, and Troy's server.
You're not missing anything, GE:S average player base is from 6 to 20+- players at the same moment, but during the whole day you'll see up to 200 different players and in the whole month, 1000-2000 players.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:07:22 am »

The truth is there is no one answer for why this is the case, there's a bunch of factors:

Whilst PC gaming is on the rise, only a minority of PC-gamers are actually mod players, and the bulk of those who are mostly playing mods for games like Minecraft or Skyrim that are well supported and easily integrated. Whilst installing GE:S is easy, people who haven't played mods before aren't prepared to take the plunge, especially when they are used to services like Steam where everything they need to do to install something is very straightforward and simplified to the max. This is mostly a perception problem, whilst mods are awesome there is the common belief, that is historically quite well founded, that installing mods is fiddly, time-consuming, difficult and very often not worth the pay-off.  Nobody really wants to go to this site, and download this, and make sure the version is up to date, and then install this other thing in Steam and blaa blaa...

On top of that, most people already have multiplayer games that are their go-to games for online play and GE:S isn't something that, for most people, can fill that niché. Even indie games with multiplayer struggle to have even the remotest active community. A lack of players is a vicious cycle of death for a multiplayer game. No players > No servers > No players > No servers... This is something that has burned a lot of smaller indie games that attempt multiplayer. An absolute killer of GE:S is that many new players often come in, see nobody playing online in the server browser, so they quit and don't try again. I can't count how many times I've read comments on videos with things like "Nobody plays the mod" or "The mod is dead."

The biggest overall reason is just that we're not on Steam. Mods like Fistful of Frags and Neotokyo are, and they have healthy communities mainly due to it. Without being on Steam we can't roll out regular updates automatically to installed users and we can't quickly patch out minor issues.

Another reason is that moddb's download server is just absolute awful. I recently introduced some new players to the mod and they were complaining at how long the download from moddb takes. Plus many people end up with corrupted downloads as we saw with 4.1's release. We need more download options, that's something we can definitely improve on.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »

Yeah... Have to agree with the download options. Mod needs to be available to download from more sites than just ModDb. With any luck the next release, if there is one will not only create a serge (Did I spell that right) of new players, but keep them as well.

bigtuna87

• 00 Newbie
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • bigtuna87 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 04:45:57 pm »

This all makes sense.

Here are a bunch of questions that I'm sure someone has answered before...

Is Seam's mod approval process difficult to obtain? (I'm going to assume that someone has tried before..)
Would there be rights issues due to the whole '007' copyright?
What if the mod was just sightly different to avoid infringement? The user base could be so amazing for this mod.
I've played it only for a few hrs and I absolutely love it.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »

Valve ignores us.  They have only put us on their news page once.

MODDB basically stabbed us in the back and won't list us on Desura.  We are the reason Desura even exists...

Not bitter, just fact.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee
Pages: [1]   Go Up