GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 09:37:36 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two copies run simultaneously  (Read 6133 times)

LSiz

Two copies run simultaneously
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:13:59 am »

My buddy just told me about Goldeneye Source and I was so excited that I actually just purchased the Orange Box ( If you aren't familiar it is a pack of Half Life Games, TF2, and Portal ) so I could play.  If this adaptation is good I would like to eventually have two PCs at my house with Goldeneye Source to play with a buddy.  My question is, since the Orange Box includes more than one "Source" game can I install steam on the other computer and say let Goldeneye use the "Source" from half life on my pc and use "Source" from TF2 on the other?  Or will this not work because they were purchased under the same steam account?

Do i need to create a second steam account and buy a Source game with it to run two copies of GoldenEye Source simultaneosly?

Sorry if this is confusing, I am unfamiliar with Steam and how your game piggybacks on the Source Engine.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Two copies run simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:24:02 am »

You do in fact need two steam accounts with one Source game each, at least.
The Orange Box is registered as "one" product - so the account activating it gets all the games at once - since you haven't got another copy of a game from the Orange Box registered with your account, you can't gift them away, unfortunately.
Yet there's things like Half Life 2 Deathmatch or the HL2 Episodes that are cheap if you just want the Source SDK.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:27:44 am by coolDisguise »

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:45 am »

Popping in for a quick reply for ya, I figure when you buy the orange box.. it saves it -all- under that single account.. that it was bought on.. I don't think you can split the games up?

If I'm not mistaken you can buy one of the cheaper source games[HL2DM] for 10 or so bucks and GE:S should run just fine off of that..

LSiz

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:45:50 am »

Cool, you guys answered my question perfectly.  If I like GoldenEye Source I will be sure to pick up an affordable source game on another Steam account!

Hope to see you guys on GES, Thanks!

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:39 am »

If I was you id just pick up HL2:DM for $5. I might do that just so I can be on laptop and desktop at same time.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Drunken Master

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:30:47 am »

If GE:S works the same way as Portal: Prelude, then just downloading a demo of half-life or another source game should give you the necessary files.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:12:59 am »

If GE:S works the same way as Portal: Prelude, then just downloading a demo of half-life or another source game should give you the necessary files.

GE:S requires the Source SDK Base 2007 installed to launch which is only available with purchased Source games. There is no other way. As far as I'm aware the case is the same with Portal Prelude and all other legitimate Source mods.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up