GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 03:36:59 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feedback] Suggestions and Bug Report  (Read 9075 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: [Feedback] Suggestions and Bug Report
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »

IIRC sniper zooming isn't changing in beta 4... Besides, it's pretty unnecessary to be able to zoom in and out manually, especially with how fast-paced multiplayer is, it's really only going to be more of a hindrance. How often did you really use manual sniper zooming in and out in GE64 multiplayer?

As for the explosion It looks flat because it is. Each frame of the animation is flat, but I expect it will appear 3D when playing, It's hard to get a feel for how the explosions really look just from the screenshots. There will be debris and smoke as was stated in the news update.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

As for the explosion It looks flat because it is.
Orly? If I was talking about particles then wouldn't I already know about that? No, a particle system is a mix of a shitload of flat images (yarly). BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT... in GE64 each particle was a rolling explosion it itself, but they are so... tiny... that they do visibly aka do not look like, but do) hit walls. It's a huge set of mini rolling eplosions and 'spawned' in such a way that each position combined makes it look volumetric.

In the beta4 screenies it doesn't look like it. It seems as if though (as if though) they are all spawned on three 2-rectangulair, giant squares and that's it. Totally not creating the illusion of volumetric explosions and smoke.

I still have yet to see a game that does the particles so well from an artist perspective (so not technically) that make explosions actually look volumetric!

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:38 pm »

I still have yet to see a game that does the particles so well from an artist perspective (so not technically) that make explosions actually look volumetric!

To pull that off, we'd probably have to make the rolling explosions a model with a bunch of different animations. While this would be nice, it isn't really necessary as ingame the rolling explosions look pretty good when they're moving as a dozen tiny animated sprites on top of a few large ones with heat waves, debris, and smoke coming out of it.

[Fixed first word -SLX]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:37:55 am by Josh [SLX] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Nymph

• Mud Pies
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nymph is looked down upon.
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »