GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 18, 2024, 02:24:57 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General Question to Developers of GES Source and other devs  (Read 6993 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!

So i was curious to know, how long does it take to really become what you are now? I mean some of you build maps, Mr. V is a programmer, directors all this stuff.

I wanted to learn how to code, but i heard it requires math and stuff which I am not well at. I know a little html, but want to learn python or some other coding language..

Its very intriguing to have this kind of knowledge that you guys have. I wish I had you brains, and also help out too. I am afraid I need to take art classes and shit sigh....

Did you guys go to school for this?

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: General Question to Developers of GES Source and other devs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:17:11 pm »

For me, the path was about patience, not time.  With patience and dedication, the time issue takes care of itself.

Python will be fine to start with. If you shrink from math, however, programming is not for you.  The world of coding contains monsters that make some of the nastiest math problems look like pussycats.  When coding, math at worst is a speedbump, and at best is your white knight champion.

Afraid to take a class?

Sir, I sense in you a great cowardice. Overcome, or you will never reach any of your imagined goals.  There is no shame in failing at a task you haven't yet mastered, and even then, Casey can strike out.

There are coder colleges, however I have not addended such a thing.  In college I tried a programming course but the fools teaching it knew nothing so I dropped it.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:35:52 pm »

Mr. V is a programmer

Lol, thats like saying Bush was a good president. :p

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:56:23 pm »

He was until he turned into a giant weenie and sold us out to Mexico.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:58:41 pm »

So i was curious to know, how long does it take to really become what you are now? I mean some of you build maps, Mr. V is a programmer, directors all this stuff.

You can learn a lot of this stuff much more quickly if you find people who know what they're doing and either learn some of their techniques, or, if you're lucky, they'll pick you up and  directly teach you some of their tricks.

For example, I learned all the mapping basics from Kraid (even though he's a modeler), and then shaped some of my own techniques later; Spider taught me a ton of modeling stuff within a short time span that would have otherwise taken me much longer on my own; and RL friend is teaching me the basics of programming; and a lot of video editing techniques I picked up from Xanatos and MonkeyJunkie.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

eamonn

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • eamonn has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »

I'd like to get into this sort of stuff myself, as a hobby or whatever. I'm bad at maths, but because I hate school, and not because I'm naturally crap.  ;)

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 01:36:16 pm »

It took me 5 years to get to where I am now with mapping (Three years of non stop mapping)

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 03:29:23 pm »

He was until he turned into a giant weenie and sold us out to Mexico.

Agreed.

OnTopic:

This is a very difficult and broad question. So I will answer with a broad response. In order to succeed in this modding business you have to be able to drive yourself to learn. Like VC said, the idiots in colleges teach too slow for some of us to be worth our time. I learned C++ in High School, but taught myself the entire language in about a month and took the class as an easy A+. Math is not going to kill you in the beginning, but will definitely be an issue later on as you tackle harder problems. I suggest the first thing you do is stop anguishing about your lack of math skills, find a nice book to learn from, and go to town. Algebra, trigonometry, and a LITTLE bit of calculus will suffice.

BTW, I am in graduate school for Electrical Engineering. It has nothing to do with video games at all except for programming (a little). All of this is just my hobby.

JamesBondMan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • JamesBondMan is looked down upon.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:14 am »

wanted to learn how to code, but i heard it requires math and stuff which I am not well at. I know a little html, but want to learn python or some other coding language..

Now I am not a dev, but i do have a tiny bit of Programing knowledge. Hope this helps.

I learned the basics of Python when i was 10. I am 15 now. I Definitely think Python is a good language to start with(Even though its more like a scripting language). I picked up some C++ in like 3 weeks. Once you learn one language you kinda know them all, you just need to learn the syntax of a chosen language when learning a new one. I learned a little Lua last week(for Garry's mod(FUN!)). Math would definitely be a good thing to like if you want to program.

There are coder colleges

Online coder colleges?

For example, I learned all the mapping basics from Kraid (even though he's a modeler), and then shaped some of my own techniques later; Spider taught me a ton of modeling stuff within a short time span that would have otherwise taken me much longer on my own; and RL friend is teaching me the basics of programming; and a lot of video editing techniques I picked up from Xanatos and MonkeyJunkie.

That's awesome. I started Mapping about 5 weeks ago. Lots of fun. I don't suppose anyone would want to help out a complete stranger?!

It took me 5 years to get to where I am now with mapping (Three years of non stop mapping)

Describe non stop. lol.

I learned C++ in High School, but taught myself the entire language in about a month

THE ENTIRE LANGUAGE? wow. What books did you use?

I apologize for the incredibly long post.
Happines is a warm gun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up