GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 19, 2024, 09:34:34 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General map questions.  (Read 6732 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
General map questions.
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:32:07 am »

1. How are more linear maps going to work?

I can see the Dam being broke into 2 parts at the metal fence. The first part could have a control center between the the starting section and the road block. I drew a crap picture in paint to show my idea.

The red is the control room area, and the dark red could be underground paths that link the watch towers together.

The Train was another level that I was thinking about. I thought that some of the doors on the side of the train could be open, so people could be let outside. I also thought that the intermission part between each car could be outside, so that could be another way people could be let out, and you could add a ladder so that people could go on top of the train, with certain cars having hatches that are open so people can jump back down into them. The map would also work well for Capture the Flag games, since each side of the train could be the bases.

2. What is the planned or ideal maps?

When putting together the bottom table for the Wiki, I was wondering about the classic maps. I figure that all the old multiplayer maps will be made into classic maps. I'm sure that there will be more classic than what the original had (Facility Backzone), but some people might not find a need to recreate some. In the eyes of the player, who wants a Caves Classic? What about Temple Classic? The current Temple is basically the same as the old one, but with new textures. If the new Temple had more to offer the player (Maybe some props, things to hide behind, alternate paths), then there could be a desire for a classic, but that has yet to happen (As far as we know). Dispite my comments, I want classic maps for all old multiplayer ones.

3. Props in classic maps?

Another point to the classics, but will there be any props in them? If you played multiplayer in GoldenEye 007, you would have noticed that most of the props have been removed (Tables, boxes, but the monitors in Bunker remain). I think if the team is going for classic, then the props should be taken out, so it would feel like we were actually playing multiplayer.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
Re: General map questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:49:07 am »

Different sections, like .... in Half Life 2? Or like in Library/Stack? Dude, I severely doubt there is a single (singleplayer) level in GE64 that would have to be broken up. Dam is smaller then some Quake 3 levels, why would you break it up?

PS: I vote keep the props, I don't think it takes away from the fun having a physics based lamps fall next to you when you're hiding behind a desk in Archives. I think it adds to it. Just my opinion though.
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:10 am »

There is a sense of design document internally, one of these days we will try formulate it into an "accurate" FAQ.

With regard to props, the map facility_classic had a couple props but they are FIXED, that is how we plan to handle it. If the mapper wants to have some scarce props to enhance a setting that is fine, as long as it remains static props. What i am saying is that is a MUST. Anyone making a _classic map in GE:S team knows that.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:56:03 am »

but there are allowed non _classic maps for the mod right, cause i remember lots of fun movables in a facility version
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:55 pm »

PeskySaurus, what I meant by different section was for the multiplayer part. It would suck to have a person camped out at the last tower on the dam, while some other guy is messing around in the first watch tower. If the level got split, it would bring the players closer.

With that said, if and when single player gets made, none of the levels should have a loading screen in my opinion.

FReXx

• Tareyu Eyre
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »

It's weird lol! Nice idea :P
Released maps:
Download - Ge_Bunker_Nw - Updated for Ges 5.0

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:05 pm »

I'd love to see classic versions of all the original maps.

Silo_Classic and Train_Classic would be very interesting. I don't think I've ever played a linear multiplayer level like that.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 01:15:43 am »

I always thought about making a GE_Dam_Backzone. Where its the part behind the fence, the the top of the dam, then also the lower tunnel parts. Along with the Dock area, and of course the little "cut-out" mission part with the big guns across the water visible, maybe some Easter eggs in there or something. Maybe sometime I'll start that up.....

Or was also thinking of doing GE_Train. But have it be like a fictional train crash, so the train would be broken up, and on fire and stuff. so would have a close combat area inside the Train, but also the outside surrounding area to fight around in. Maybe have it so the Tank shot the train off the tracks, so you could see the Tank in the distance, near the tunnel.... all these ideas, but way to lazy.

Currently working on GE_Stripclub.... ya know when Bond met with Valentine.... gotta go do some "research" tonight I think....
  Haven't got very far.. basically, a booth and a pole...and a Bar.... but that's good enough.. now I need some, proper Goldeneye women character models... ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:17:52 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up