GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 08, 2024, 01:59:15 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Servers. Please?  (Read 7935 times)

The Hyena

Newbie Servers. Please?
« on: April 12, 2008, 09:33:27 pm »

Now here's the thing: I suck at GE:S. As do I at CS, Day of Defeat, and basically any FPS that requires accuracy over speed. The problem with GE:S at the moment, I have to say, is that all the players are far too 1337, and it puts n00bs like myself off a little. I'm not saying this is anyone's fault, or making any accusations, but can PLEASE someone in position to do so make a newb server?

Thanks,

The Hyena

TooCrooked

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • TooCrooked is looked down upon.
Re: Newbie Servers. Please?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:05:08 am »

in my opinion, it is impossible to categorize what a "n00b" is. is it someone new to FPS, GE, the map, or what? and even if you could, you couldn't possibly find a way to prevent "oldbies" from playing with/against the newbies.

i've noticed that i get anal probed because i always have a high ping. "the lower the deadlier" seems to be the key.

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 03:14:44 am »

Now here's the thing: I suck at GE:S. As do I at CS, Day of Defeat, and basically any FPS that requires accuracy over speed. The problem with GE:S at the moment, I have to say, is that all the players are far too 1337, and it puts n00bs like myself off a little. I'm not saying this is anyone's fault, or making any accusations, but can PLEASE someone in position to do so make a newb server?

Thanks,

The Hyena

Best bet would be to start a nondedicated server and password it, when you are in a server with enough newbies who are willing to join yours.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:18:19 am »

I rarely play GES online, only late at night before I goto bed, and I went like 6 months without playing with anyone else and I hold my own in servers. Just give yourself a week, then you'll be equal. I was getting owned today playing for about 30mins on cradle, might of been just a ping problem though.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:58:46 am »

All I can say is keep practicing. Ping does make a difference, but the l337 players you talk about would own with any ping. A lot of those same players are also armoring up when they have a chance. Get armor as well. Don't stop moving and learn to strafe well. I think good movement is the key to any fps.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:23 am »

Doh!! Someone that dont accuse others to hack  :o :)
1/ Armor, armor, armor, armor, armor. Even if you're having a dual, when you've lost all your armor, flee to grab another one.
2/ Jump, jump, jump, jump. Duck jump if you can. The more you move, the more it's difficult to hit you.
3/ Turn your mic on. And learn the sounds (doors, players spawn, etc...).
4/ Get a decent computer. Since 3 weeks, im playing with a 6 years old comp, and im owned like no tomorow.
5/ Old' N64 remote mine trick: click right+left.

Noob server? Impossible. Not enough players.

The Hyena

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »

Ah. I'm on a little old rural exchange, so my ping is always in excess of 200. As for getting a decent computer, I think I'm alright on that front. My computer is 4 years old, but my FPS is normally just fine. Source engine was optimized for ATI cards, and I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, which seems to do the job. I didn't realize armor made such a difference. In CS, buying the Kevlar vest dosen't seem to help much.

I can understand if there's not enough players. I'll just have to learn the hard way!

Thanks anyway,

The Hyena

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 07:07:08 pm »

More tips, you may not have a crosshair but you can easily tell where your shots are going by following the the yellow tracers. Dont foget to lead your target!

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:10:17 pm »

In CSS, Kevlar buys you one bullet, except against pistol and SMG spam, in which it's worth two.

In Goldeneye, Armor is worth as much as your main health guage, and it is the only part of your health that can be (re)filled.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1]   Go Up