GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:31:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some ideas  (Read 2739 times)

sevenalive

Some ideas
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:49:45 pm »

I haven't been around much, I last checked the site in Jan, but what happened to the old site. IMO, the MODDB site is really confusing and if it's possible to bring it back you should. Maybe setup donations to fund the site. You got MODDB crap up top then goldeneye in a box. You got 2 forum links and other links meshed, it's just really confusing.

Now about the game, great job. There needs to be more work on the weapons. Now i hated the Klobb in GE64 and I can honestly say I hate it in G:S, it's too underpowered. I can be at full health and get killed with a pp7 when I am firing at a enemy with the klobb straight on.

I know you guys want to be faithful to the game, but the current state of aiming just isn't working right. It feels awkward, did you modify it from the HL2 aiming system? GE64 had Auto aiming and that's why the no crosshairs worked. Now I am not saying bring back the cross hairs, that's fine. I am saying the aiming just feels weird, I can never be sure if I am actually firing at an enemy, it doesn't feel the same as if i run HL2:deathmatch and turn the crosshair off.

The music and levels are excellent and I do like the different versions of music. Proximity Mines, they seem to blow up even if I am 20 feet back. I remember in GE64 you had to be quite close for them to blow up. In fact there are a few cases where you throw them and they just explode for no reason.

A noticed a bug, an enemy was able to stand up inside a vent, it was aztec I think.

XBOX 360 controller support: Now before you mouse+kb people chime in, I would like to be able to play with the 360 controller, since GE64 was played with the controller. I like mouse+kb along with the next guy, but controllers have their benefits. The only thing that needs to be done would be the sensitivity and aiming config. Maybe there could be an autoaim feature if you play with a controller, that would really be sweet and enhance the GES experience.

It might be related to the portal/SDK bug. I am running Windows 7 x64 with 2 monitors in clone view (also tried extended desktop). I got hl2.exe crash when starting. I was able to fix it by forcing my resolution and setting hl2.exe in the sdk folder to disable composition and theme. I am sure it's valve's bug, but I think it might be fixed in a newer version of the SDK if available.

Overall the time I spent playing G:S was very fun and I haven't felt so frustrated getting killed since the days of GE64.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:55:16 pm by sevenalive »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
Re: Some ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:41 am »

HL2DM has target ID even with crosshairs turned off so thathelps a little.

Xbox controller  there is a config to exec "exec xbox360" and if youwant sticks swapping over use the xbox360_southpaw, now i dont know if this config works because I do not have a 360 controller so you can test it out.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:08:56 am »

Old website is being overhauled, for now it redirects to moddb. Moddb is not confusing if you're a user.

That's the nature of the klobb.

Press shift to use your crosshair.

Proximity mines react very closely to how they used to. They also now have a little warning beep if you get too close to them, if you continue to get a little closer then they detonate.

There is already Xbox 360 controller support, have a dig around.

Send your crash dump to killermonkey.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:17:42 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:39:44 am »

Don't send your crash dump to killer monkey if its a crash BEFORE you get to the main menu. He will be pissed because you didn't read the 50 other threads addressing this issue.

Proxy mines blow up in response to ANY object thrown within detonation range (throwing knifes, other mines, grenades)

I dislike every single suggestion you made (this is the nicest I am going to get and I will not return to this thread because I will prolly go ape shit)
Pages: [1]   Go Up