GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:17:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gameplay Scenario: Launch Code  (Read 17885 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Gameplay Scenario: Launch Code
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »

WORK IN PROGRESS

MI6 vs Janus, each team plays a specific roles that alternates each round.

The basic premise of the scenario is one team is leading the charge to hack several terminals scattered throughout the map with 1 person as the designated hacker, and the other team is trying to stop them. (Hackers vs. Preventors)

When Janus are hacking, their goal is to fire the satellite laser.
When MI6 are hacking, their goal is to destabalize the satellite to destroy it.

Hackers receive 1 point for every terminal successfully hacked and [# terminals] points for winning the round. Preventors receive 1 point everytime the hacker is killed and 1 additional point for every terminal saved at the end of the round.

At the beginning of the round, a Insta-Hack 9000 (IH9K) is randomly spawned in the map (level 8 ammo spawn?). Only the hacker can pickup the IH9K and use it. If the hacker is killed with the IH9K in his possession, it is removed from play for the rest of the round. The IH9K allows the hacker to take over one terminal instantly, then it is destroyed.

Hackers can earn an ego-bonus for each successful hack which increases the rate of their next hack. Ego-bonuses last for 45 seconds and ends instantly if the hacker is killed.

The hacker can rescind their role within the first 15 seconds of the round to another player by choosing a character from the character select panel.

Here's a sample round (the first round will randomly choose the team to be the hackers, alternating afterwards):

1. Each team spawns and a random player on the hacking team is chosen to be the hacker. The hacker for will be converted into Boris (Janus) or the Female Scientist (MI6) respectively. No one will be allowed to choose these two characters in this gamemode.

2. The computer terminals are spawned randomly throughout the map (at player spawns) with them being proportional to the number of players in the server. Terminals are shown on the radar w/ their corresponding status as their color (Gray = unhacked, team color = hacked). An IH9K is also spawned.

3. The hacker, protected by his team, will go to each terminal and hack it, which takes some amount of time. If the hacker is killed during hacking, all progress is lost on that terminal. If the hacker possesses an IH9K they can use the !voodoo key during the hack to use it and instantly hack the terminal. Each successful hack gives the hacker an ego-boost which increases the rate of his next hack for a finite time.

4. Everytime the hacker dies they respawn back in the team spawn area. A hacker is always unarmed and cannot pickup any weapons/ammo but they can pickup armor and will spawn with full health and armor as well.

5. Once all terminals are hacked the round ends instantly with the hacking team declared the victor. If time runs out before all terminals are hacked, the preventors win.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:47:57 pm by killermonkey »

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: Gameplay Scenario: Launch Code
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:28:04 pm »

sounds like hacker central from perfect dark, but without the impossible task of circle strafing the terminal for 30 seconds while 3 people shoot at you...unless your team dies, anyway.

I can see a potential problem with regards to newer players being assigned the hacker role, but without flashing 3d arrows/signposts all around the map telling them to "GO HERE" i don't see what else we can do about that aside from the gameplay help.  Maybe a system to opt out/opt in to be the hacker?

I can see how the hack-o-matics could be a great strategic element, but I'm not too keen on giving such an advantage to the winners of the round.  if they've already won, then why give them another advantage over the enemy team?  Perhaps phase out the concept entirely, and just have it set up so that the more terminals the attacking team has, the faster each terminal can be secured?  This would help with problems such as the final terminal being in the enemy spawn area and it being necessary to spawn camp for 30 seconds to win.

Otherwise i really like the concept.  I was thinking over something similar myself, but your implementation offers something new which we don't have in the mod yet.  Really looking forward to seeing where this goes!
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »

I really like the concept and I can see this working out great. As for new players as the hacker I think we can do specific on-screen notices for that player and perhaps some kind of blocker on players who do not play ball (afk, griefing, running off and doing their own thing) to prevent them from being the hacker in any of the following rounds as well as dynamic re-assignment to prevent that round from being a total loss. Also a unique overhead icon for the hacker that is displayed to teammates.

As for the Hack-O-Matic, I'm not too convinced... it feels a bit too much like an unnecessary complication of an otherwise simple concept. New players easily understand Uplink, I've seen people who were playing GE:S for the first time actually playing that mode right, capturing flags and working as a team.

Question: - Is this mode elimination based? If so, is the hacker the only person who can't respawn? Or is it the entire team? Hurrr I should pay more attention.

Also I think it might be worth considering having 2 hackers on larger teams (8 + people) giving an added tactical aspect to the distribution of players, if they split up into smaller groups or all move as one large group with a spare hacker.

Anyway if this concept moves forward I'll happily model a workstation and get some changing monitor screens that reflect the state of that particular station.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:46:11 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:46 pm »

Yah the Hack-O-Matic 9000 is more or less a placeholder for some incentive for preventors. I want to have the ability for preventors to tip the balance back, but I do not want "counter-hacking" which is more Uplink style.... Some sort of incentive for playing the gameplay well, you get more ways to flex strategy.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:36:37 pm »

Sounds good, I've been playing around with the idea of having some sort of "protect the VIP"-type mode. Everything you describe is possible imo with what's currently available in python (you can even just use a server/computer model for the tokens). I agree the hack-o-matic is unfair (anything that makes it easier for winning players to keep winning is usually bad), also that newer players will be confused by what to do (on-screen arrows = <3), also I have a similar problem with Uplink when there's only 3-5 people on a server and it's a teamplay-only gamemode. I should have an update to Uplink in the next few days though to fix that.

But yeah, if you ever need any help making gamemodes or just want to use a bit of my Uplink code I'm available for you.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:37:11 pm »

this concept sounds great. I can´t wait to catch all the fucking hackers  8)

gameplay-name suggestions: code of duty; the code-masters; guns, codes & satellites; it´s launch-time, kids!; satellite of death
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:49:30 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »

Yes, on screen arrows will be a part of v4.2 an extension of the radar system.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »

Concerns:
Multiplication is dangerous.  If it starts on a 6v6 and let's say there's five terminals, that's 30 points.  Next round, half of the players leave, the losing team needs two perfect wins just to tie.  There is also the issue of player count; beginning, max during round, or end of round?  It would be easy to screw a team by just going spec right before they win so they get no multiplier.  I suggest keeping the scoring based on the points themselves.

!voodoo command can to be useful.  If the hacker uses it, a different player should become the hacker.  Normal players can use it to vote off the current hacker.  This will allow a noob or someone who just doesn't want to be disarmed to get switched out.

Momentum is good, but it needs to be reversible.  The player with the free hacking tool should be able to drop it.  Using it early ensures you get it, but it's also wasted when you use it on a point that's not really contested, as each team's first cap will be the points nearest their spawns.  Saving it for late can work like a TF2 spy-cap, sneaking it in through a hole in the defense to close the round, but would be a gamble that it could be fumbled and used by the trailing team.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:15 pm »

VC nice eval. I will revise the proposal tonight with everyone's feedback. I am actually pretty excited about this mode.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:01 pm »

Momentum is good, but it needs to be reversible.  The player with the free hacking tool should be able to drop it.  Using it early ensures you get it, but it's also wasted when you use it on a point that's not really contested, as each team's first cap will be the points nearest their spawns.  Saving it for late can work like a TF2 spy-cap, sneaking it in through a hole in the defense to close the round, but would be a gamble that it could be fumbled and used by the trailing team.

I actually really like this idea.  Allowing it to be used by anyone but having it possible to lose to the other team makes it a coveted game-changer worth protecting until the end of the round.  I'm still unsure how distribution should be handled; should it simply spawn towards the center of the map, or be given to the attackers at the start?
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:27 pm »

The problem with using the !voodoo key for such a thing is people like to spam it... And if it's going to impact gameplay in an obtrusive way isn't it going to easily get ridiculous if several people start spamming it? It's like giving people a 'grief' button. Also doesn't it mean when a hacker is near death he can just press it and then suddenly someone else is the hacker...

I think something more integrated with the rest of our voting system would be more appropriate... and we can use the octopussy code to weed out AFK players with an on screen warning (unless they are in a hacking zone)
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:46 am »

Scenario updated: http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/topic,6270.msg66302.html#msg66302

gameplay-name suggestions: code of duty; the code-masters; guns, codes & satellites; it´s launch-time, kids!; satellite of death

LOL, I like Code of Duty.... I am aiming for something quirky and short.

My Ideas: HackIt, Hack Zone, For The Lulz, Thunderball, Hacker Royale, Plenty O'Hacks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:06:03 am by killermonkey »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:52 am »

That is a very interesting concept, I must say. I'd be sure to check this thread out often!

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:25 am »

I think we should keep the naming convention of naming the scenario after a Bond film... also, I think whoever is selected as the hacker should have their playermodel changed to Boris.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:25 am »

Another issue is just that the idea as stated is to hack all terminals to complete the objective (fire/destruct laxorz) but both teams are securing terminals, so the objective is a paper tiger.

How about changing the whole thing to ensure there is always an odd number of terminals (I mentioned five above, I like that number for this concept) and when all five have been secured by both teams, the team with the lead then has a time limit to conquer the remaining one or two (if they get all five it's an immediate win) as defended by the losing team.  Scoring would be 3 to 5 for a round win, points secured by the winning team at time-over or at taking the map, and 0 to 2 for the losing team, points secured at the moment that the clock started.  This allows for score swings of 5-0, but well-contested rounds will only shift the overall tally by one or a few points.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up