Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desura  (Read 6233 times)

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
Desura
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:19:45 pm »

Well for those who troll the forum would of noticed for the last year or so i have been awol but it has not been with out benifit. Tonight i get to introduce you to the project i have been working on:

In case you have wondering why updates from ModDB staff have been a little slow lately, it is because the team has been busy working on a secret project codenamed Desura. While Desura is far from complete and far from perfect, it is time to stop working in silence and to start inviting select teams and members to the private beta we are launching today.

Desura (like Steam, D2D, Impulse, GamersGate etc) is a digital distribution service for PC gamers. Unlike these platforms however which are just shops with little to no interaction between the community and the content available, we aim to bring the power and openess of ModDB to digital distribution. We hope to achieve this in three ways:

Read all about over at Moddb.com.

But what does this mean for GoldenEye Source? Hopefully a method of releasing more content to you guys more often and easier then we have ever been able to do before.

Interesting times ahead.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Desura
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »

All I can say is that it sounds great and it will come in handy for the mod community. It's a great idea. Kudos to you the rest of the team behind this project.

Do you guys have any release date set yet, apart from the usual"When it's done"?

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:22 pm »

Private beta started today. Hope for public release around mod of the year.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:19 pm »

This sounds great... How exactly will in function in relation to Steam though? Obviously Source mods are still going to require Steam, so will Desura have to access and update folders within the Steam folder for mod updates?

That needs to be well regulated, it could be easily abused for distributing malicious content. Imagine a mod update that included something that could get people VAC'ed.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:39:33 pm »

i hope that one day this desura concept can grow into something ive been hoping for, for a long time and thats turning mod development into the minor leauges of the video game industry. a place that becomes a proving ground for concepts, and talent and a place for studios to go directly to, inorder to recruit real world experience up and coming developers who have little to no professional experience.

cant wait to see what this does for GES and our plans for the future.

will be a very intersting year indeed.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms
Pages: [1]   Go Up