GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:22:37 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: GES Update: March 2008  (Read 90980 times)

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
GES Update: March 2008
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:32:46 am »

Well, it has been a while since our last official news release, and it's time to let you guys know what has been going on with the mod.  Let's get the big news out of the way.  After much discussion and deliberation, we have decided to skip the beta 1.5 release and go straight to Beta 3.  Not only is 3 a bigger number than 1.5, Beta 3 signifies the switch to the orange box SDK, and a complete recode of the mod from scratch.  Now before the “oh noez, 3 more years until release” start, we are approaching the development of Beta 3 a bit differently.

Frankly, we are sick of buggy releases just as much as we are of not releasing at all.  The solution we decided on was to release smaller chunks of polished material much more frequently.  While we aren’t going to announce any concrete schedule, our goal is a release every few months.  Not only are we starting the coding from scratch and carefully building up a stable codebase, but in the meantime the artists are recompiling every single prop, weapon, character, and weapon in the mod and revamping the work that we aren’t happy with.  Special attention will be paid to weapon balancing and tweaking to get them feeling more like their GE64 equivalents. In addition, the weapon animations are going to be significantly improved. The first release is going to take a little longer than successive patches, as we need to build up that code base with enough features to be fun to play, and enough content to make it worth playing.  After that we will release patches every few months with new features and content.

We don’t want to wait until we match the content currently in beta 1.1, and we don’t think you do either.  So we’re going to release as soon as we can, and successively release content in patches until we meet and exceed what is currently in 1.1.

Not only will you be able to look forward to a stable platform and new and revamped content, but you won't have to buy the orange box to play it.  Valve has released the Orange Box SDK Base as a completely free download, and it has already been integrated into the Beta 3 code.  That means you don’t have to own the orange box, only a sdk base game just like it has always been. Just download the Orange Box SDK Base, and you’ll be ready to go.  Type steam://install/218 in your browser address bar and after the 10mb download, you'll be all set.

A solid codebase is well under way, spearheaded by KillerMonkey and Anthony.  Many of you have already read Anthony's programming blog and know the kind of crap he is dealing with.  Now you know what it is for.  Dozens of props have already been recompiled and revamped, and the character and weapon departments are starting to gear up.  The Facility map is the first map to be recompiled, and beta testers have been going through it with a fine tooth comb over the past week. I'm a bit amazed how they can find the tiniest little glitches that most of us would never even see during a normal game.  In addition, the biggest visual changes have been to the Runway map, which you'll see below.  SharpSh00tah is almost done tweaking this map, and he is also starting on the initial layout for the Streets map.  We've also got Temple, Silo, Caves, and Egyptian in active development and in various stages of completion.  On the music front, Audix is kicking ass on some new tracks, and we're also working on a few sound effects for the maps. 

As you might have guessed from the title of this update, we are also switching to monthly updates to better match our development schedule, supported by the developer blogs for extra info in between. 

Here are some previews of the new content.

Revamped Bond head by Spider.  (Click for full size gallery image)

One of the KillerMonkey's custom weapon animations (Knife Stab). 
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v687/killermonkey01/GE%20Source/?action=view&current=KnifeAnimPart2.flv

Audix's Cradle Track. (Right click, save as)
www.audixmusic.com/audix_Rocking_the_Cradle.mp3

Revamped Runway Screenshots (Click for full size gallery image)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:05:40 pm by Konrad Beerbaum »
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: GES Update: March 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:56:18 am »

:: Special attention will be paid to weapon balancing and tweaking to get them feeling more like their GE64 equivalents.

I'm back in business!
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:33:23 am »

:o Oh man.. we aren't totally dead!  And this was really random!  Thanks for the update!  Runway looks great, but I will say Bond looks kinda sketchy..  He just isn't much like Brosnan or anyone..

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:48:25 am »

but I will say Bond looks kinda sketchy..  He just isn't much like Brosnan or anyone..

That is the point, we are trying to steer clear of any issues with image and shit. We took elements of Brosan and made a face that was both Bond like and Brosan and melded them together.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:04:08 am »

Brosman/Craig

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:43 am »

I approve.  This looks like a proper Bond for an original game.  Plus, it shows the modeler's skills are coming up.  Original bond looked homebrew-mod, this looks low-budget.

Only problem I have are with the eyes, and with character's glancing in general.  Can we hijack some of that sweet sweet emotion and environment responsiveness code Valve's been showing off in TF2 that makes the characters look around at what they're doing?  A little bit would go a long way toward breaking the killer-manequins look GES currently suffers from.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:18:11 am »

I think it looks alot like Ray Liotta, so kind of a possible future Bond. Bring'n some Goodfellas to the party.

"I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers."
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 05:24:40 am »

Come on admit it, changing the name from beta 1.5 to 3 is because you are tired of people asking 'When will 1.5 be released?'  ;D

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 05:33:30 am »

perhaps  ;D

Actually it is because we already had a beta 2 code branch that wasn't ep2 compatible, and we don't want to delete it, so we had to create a new code branch, hence beta 3.  Its mainly to make sure everyone is on the same page in development. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:34:19 am »

Actually, it's because we were working toward Beta 2, but realised with all the known problems and the changes required for the EP2 engine, we're best off starting a whole new Beta 3, using the WIP of 2 as a guide and testing bed of things we want to play with.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 11:08:27 am »

The solution we decided on was to release smaller chunks of polished material much more frequently.  While we aren’t going to announce any concrete schedule, our goal is a release every few months.
[...] The first release is going to take a little longer than successive patches, as we need to build up that code base with enough features to be fun to play, and enough content to make it worth playing.  After that we will release patches every few months with new features and content.

We don’t want to wait until we match the content currently in beta 1.1, and we don’t think you do either.  So we’re going to release as soon as we can, and successively release content in patches until we meet and exceed what is currently in 1.1.

Teh $1 question... Does everybody, in the dev team, agree on this way to release content? If not, are we sure the whole dev team will follow this way and not change plans again?

As you might have guessed from the title of this update, we are also switching to monthly updates to better match our development schedule
VERY GOOD news.

SharpSh00tah done a fantastic job on his map. Im sure KillerMonkey and Anthony are doing a good job too. But what with that Bond skin? It looks unpersonnal and far away from the original!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:07:01 pm by Doc.NO »

Ace

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 03:15:46 pm »

I had heard of this mod about this time last year in a CS server, and I just had to check it out. Been hooked ever since. I am very excited about this transition to Orange Box SDK. While we all have to wait longer now, it's definitely worth it. Quick question: there was a tank in the Streets map in Single Player on the original GE64. Any possibilities of a tank in GE:S multiplayer?

Additional note, I want to hear more of the songs! I loved the beta 1.1 songs and now this new cradle... more please!

irfman

• Secret Agent
  • irfman is looked down upon.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 04:56:48 pm »

Bond looks fantastic indeed, I like it. Runway is looking great too.

Excellent work guys.  :)

MtM0201

• Secret Agent
  • MtM0201 has no influence.
    • my music
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »

um..why is there a Janus logo in the runway??? Janus came after that, not before.
third image, on the left building.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »

Because it looks pretty and it was in the resources?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up