GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:06:29 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Project  (Read 12842 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
My New Project
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

Thought I would upload some screens of my new project, I am attempting to build the entire Resident Evil Mansion in the Doom 3 engine. It's a massive challenge, but then when I set my mind on something, I can usually achieve it, it does however depend on the limitations of the engine for which there are many. I'm currently on day 3 and nearing the end of the first room which is the main hall where you first start the game, due to the limitations however I felt the need to make it a little smaller than the original:-

Door Test
=======

This is the most important aspect for me in this mod, I felt it necessary to make the progression from room to room the same as the original, however without being a coder there's no way to have two doors floating in mid air, so I just went with a blank screen with the sound of the door opening and closing, in the end I decided I preferred the blank screen:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxI4uBaJwNE&list=PL1FCDAA60E9CED104&index=3&feature=plpp_video

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:14:51 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
Re: My New Project
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »

Oh my fucking goodness, that looks absolutely fucking gorgeous! Keep up the good work!

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »

Thanks for the comment, if there's one thing I have learnt whilst doing this project, it's that Specular and Bump mapping are highly overrated.

liamcadhain

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

I've never played the original before (nor any game in the series for that matter), but your map looks pretty neat. Keep up the good work!

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »

Added a new improved ceiling and added a chandelier (as good as I can create in Doom 3 engine). Dropped lighting a little to improve the atmosphere, adjusted various lights around the area to improve the overall look and feel, getting so close to finishing this room now. Anyway, here are the screens:-
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:01:50 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:11:17 am »

Thanks for the comment, if there's one thing I have learnt whilst doing this project, it's that Specular and Bump mapping are highly overrated.
Then you've learnt something wrong.
For some things spec and bump can make a huge difference.
Maybe you just need to learn how to use them properly.

Imagine how much better and detailed your scene would look if the marbel had some reflections on it or the carpet had a fabrics structure.

Maybe you should also take the RE1 remake for Gamecube as a reference for creating the map.
It's far more detailed then the old PS1 renderings.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:33:33 am »

Reflection maybe, but otherwise no. It looks so much better like this, although I am going to put a very subtle amount of specular and bump mapping on the wood. All my previous maps had specular and bump mapping, and none were as visually stunning as this, it has a more photo realistic look, but then each to their own. I'm definitely looking into reflection for the floor, going to have to consult the forums on this one.

Anyway, your opinion is an important one for me Kraid being a fan of your mapping skills, an overall opinion on the map would be nice, specular and bump mapping aside.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:36:29 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

Trust Kraid when he says that specular and bump mapping can make a huge difference. They will add some texture to the otherwise drab appearance of your textures. You can't overdo it, though, since too much is as bad as none.

The current look of the map reminds me of those 3D renderings used in games from the early 90's; that's to say that it desperately needs some additional polish in terms of textures (and maybe some modeling as well.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:09:43 pm »

Taken on board what Kraid had to say, added some shine to the marble etc, I kept the wood specular and bump very subtle, also these are new dark textures which I much prefer over the previous dark red. Also added two new windows as I don't believe for one second any mansion would only have one window in the main hall, considering downstairs windows as well.

Here's a gameplay video:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgvvhjF29IM&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:23:04 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »

Nice. The reflection on the marble floor creates much more depth.
Highlights on the pillars give them some more definition, too.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:41 pm »

Nice work so far, Reminds me of bad memories from when I was a kid.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »

Nice work so far, Reminds me of bad memories from when I was a kid.

I do apologize if I give you any nightmares tonight. :-) And thanks Kraid, you were right, looks much better.

I have created 3D doors to replace the 2D textures, filled in the banisters, added much better wood texture for tables, player now starts with pistol ready, light texture replaced with shiny black one and many other details.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:01:48 am by markpeterjameslegg »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 06:13:13 pm »

Well... I've started the next room, and I've had my hands full already... You see, the engine wasn't really designed for modelling, so when I set out to create realistic looking curtains I ran into so many issues. I never gave up, it's taken hour upon hour but I finally got my curtains... Phew (wiping sweat off brow). This is the first room on the left with the statue, where you collected the first floor map, just before the corridor where the dogs jump through the windows.

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 03:25:06 am »

As an old school RE fan (that is, pre-RE4), I fucking love this idea. Your screens look pretty good, but I can't help but feel that the project would be better server in another engine like Source or UDK. Anyway, if you ever want help with anything I'd be glad to do what I can, hit me up.
Completed: twine_mi6_sc, 1138_hangout, ge_garrison

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:32 am »

Thanks Sam, I agree on a couple of things you said there, for me Resident Evil went downhill as soon as it went 3D, I remember going out and buying Code Veronica for my Dreamcast and although I was initially impressed, it wasn't long before boredom set in, but I loved the Dreamcast version of Resi2. The last decent one's for me was the Gamecube re-make of the first and Resident Evil Zero, it just isn't the same without the still images and fixed cameras.

I also agree on the choice of engine, but I have been working with GTK Radiant for 6 years now on and off, I like it's ease of use, simplicity and user friendly functions, although it has it's moments where you want to pull your brain through your eye socket. Also, I think it would have taken a lot longer than 4 days to create the main hall in the Source engine.

Do you by any chance have any modelling experience Sam?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:06:57 pm by markpeterjameslegg »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up