GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 07:21:09 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Throwing Knives, doors, and projectile launchers.  (Read 3357 times)

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!

Well, I've become immersed in GE:S ever since the release of beta 4. And while i find almost every aspect makes for a great title, there are a few glaring issues.  These aren't all of those that I've noticed, but the most relevant.

It seems GE:S radically altered the mechanics of the throwing knife, either unintentional or otherwise.  I've mainly noticed that if you collide with a throwing knife in mid flight, but are not in it's direct projectile path, you merely pause momentarily while the weapon passes.  In the original, this would register as a collision and the victim would be dealt damage.  Equally relevant  was the ability to prepare a knife for flight prior to confrontation by holding the fire button. If this was not done, there would be a slight delay when deploying the knife. GES seems to be lacking this feature, instead firing the knife immediately and bypassing the entire preparation process. This is unfortunate as it gave the throwing knives a unique dynamic which would serve to balance out the increased effectiveness offered by the first alteration. (they're only impossible to use effectively now because of the finicky conditions for a hit)

Equally notable is how the rocket and grenade launcher seem to generate their explosives.  Instead of appearing from the muzzle of the gun, they instead, from my observations,  appear from the center of the chest.  This makes it annoying and occasionally impossible to shoot around corners or over railings where it would seem the weapon has enough clearance.  Also in this field was the property of the rocket to adopt your momentum along with it's own when fired.  If you were moving left when you launched the rocket, it will continue to move left with you in addition to flying forward. (this also applies to throwing weapons)

And finally, we fall to the issues of moving objects.  I can't understand why this isn't more common, but in the original GE doors would have an acceleration value that was applied when the door started moving and when it neared the completely open position.  This gave them a feeling of fluidity and realism that the jittery start of source doors lacks.  It would definitely be appealing to see in GE:S, if for no other reason than that it was in the original.

Anyway, while all of these issues do seem trivial in comparison to some others pointed out, i nevertheless believe that their resolution would greatly enhance this already wonderful mod.

EDIT: stuck second rocket suggestion in the wrong place.  Whoops
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:45:15 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: [Suggestion] Throwing Knives, doors, and projectile launchers.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:50:31 am »

I very much agree with all of the above.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:32:14 am »

I concur.
How fixable the above is has yet to be answered...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:06 am »

Pretty picky stuff. While I agree with a couple I think this is like putting the jet engine technology before the horse.

We have x amount of time per day and still so much stuff to implement new!

Lets get the cart done, then shift this horse n cart into the epicentre of the modding spheres hall of fame. Then work on these minor lamenesses. A lot of which are so because of our limitations in modding. (for example where rockets/launchers visually shoot from)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:12:15 am »

I didn't mention a set time for fixes, for the record.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 01:59:32 am »

I hate the throwing knifes. They will receive a code buff in v4.1 (now that school is over YAY!) and possibly adding a slight particle effect emitted from the tip to show flight better. (Great idea on the charging btw!!)

Momentum on projectiles would not convey a significant flight path difference, for that matter it is already applied as it is right now...

Doors have the worst code in the source engine, its even worse than the ducking code!

Player1srb

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Player1srb has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:56:17 am »

Since I recently joined here, good thing I've noticed there already is a topic, so I don't have to post the same thing.

About charging throwing knife to "ready" position, while pressing and holding fire button.
How's working on it going on so far?

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:36:29 am »

That thread is quite old, Actually.
I wonder if this feature is in the works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up