GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:32:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Ge_MI6_HQ  (Read 39818 times)

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
Re: Ge_MI6_HQ
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »

By the way, does anybody has any idea on what could be causing these floor glitches I'm having ? From 1:19 in my video update. Thank you.
Currently in Progress : ge_mi6 hq

Luchador

• Retired Lead Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 175
  • Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!Luchador is awe-inspiring!
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 03:51:54 pm »

By the way, does anybody has any idea on what could be causing these floor glitches I'm having ? From 1:19 in my video update.

I suspect it's because you have all those wall panels meeting the floor. The compiler wants to optimize the geometry but can't handle so many intersections against the floor brush. Rather than make all those panels out of brushes I'd make a wall texture with the recesses put into the normal map. It would be far more efficient in terms of performance and solve the floor glitch, too.

It's looking pretty good. I'm just afraid that when you put the roof on, it is going to be a bit claustrophobic.

If the ceilings are too low raising them would be really easy since this map is on one floor. Just select all the geometry, go into vertex mode, select the top half of the vertices and raise them.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
  • Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.Boris_Crack is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 04:58:43 pm »

I suspect it's because you have all those wall panels meeting the floor. The compiler wants to optimize the geometry but can't handle so many intersections against the floor brush. Rather than make all those panels out of brushes I'd make a wall texture with the recesses put into the normal map. It would be far more efficient in terms of performance and solve the floor glitch, too.
Thank you for the response. I func_detail'ed all of them and most of the floor glitches are gone. For the rest, I'm gonna nodraw the back of the panels and see how that works. As for the performance, my map runs quite well. The reason it's laggy in the video is because I was recording and playing at the same time and my computer isn't that strong.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »

The nodraw thing made it worse.. Do you think that pushing the panels one unit further into the floor would do it? Because I really wanna keep the panels.

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:51 pm »

you shouldn´t transform all of the walls to func_details, because some of them seal off the world outside. use func_details only for the interior world. otherwise you cause leaks, wrong lightning and a bad performance. I recommend using the "load pointfile" and "check for problems" options in the hammer editor. and very important: don´t overlap your brushes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:18:35 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »

you shouldn´t transform all of the walls to func_details, because some of them seal off the world outside. use func_details only for the interior world. otherwise you cause leaks, wrong lightning and a bad performance. I recommend using the "load pointfile" and "check for problems" options in the hammer editor. and very important: don´t overlap your brushes.
Yeah I used func_detail for the panels only. I'm gonna try the options you just told me.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 01:41:33 am »

Hey Luchador, you were right. I simply trimmed the panels one unit from the floor level. It still looks as good and we can't really see the difference. Thank you really much!

terps4life90

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »

Hey klb2000000 , welcome to the forums :D.

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:48 pm »

Hey klb2000000 , welcome to the forums :D.
Thank you !

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 02:31:51 am »

looking good- id like to see you add more detail :) also i think it would be cool to have a helicoptor pad outside of a window...its an idea

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 04:46:41 am »

looking good- id like to see you add more detail :) also i think it would be cool to have a helicoptor pad outside of a window...its an idea
Thank you really much. I will put pictures of London outside the window. At first I thought I could make a way to go outside the building and see the MI6 Headquarter in London but that would be way too big and kinda useless. And since I'm a beginner I can't do huge things like that for now. Oh, and I wanted to put make a lower floor, stairscases and elevators to access it but I just couldn't make my mind on how to arrange the lower floor so I dropped the idea. But I might add some more hallways so the maps is a little bigger and not just a straight corridor with rooms. I'm not sure yet. But thanks anyway.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 11:13:35 am »

The one thing i would love to see is alot of continuity refrences in the map especially in areas like for example:

M's Office could have images of Robert Brown, Berneard Lee and Judi Dench's M on the background- a secret door in the map

Moneypenny's Office could have a pen like in TWINE (the grenade pen from Goldeneye), a hat stand or a photo of Bond on her desk

Q's Lab could have lots of refrences like some gadgets (the moonraker camera that was in the silo map, the golden gun and maybe OddJob's hat), have a couple of Wanted Signs with Treveylan, Ourumov or Jaws on it

the possibilitys are endless....

maybe try adding some windows and i was thinking you could use this image as a background behind the window giving it depth and making it look really visual:

http://www.anforme.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/iStock_000004281929Medium.jpg

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 01:52:20 pm »

The one thing i would love to see is alot of continuity refrences in the map especially in areas like for example:

M's Office could have images of Robert Brown, Berneard Lee and Judi Dench's M on the background- a secret door in the map

Moneypenny's Office could have a pen like in TWINE (the grenade pen from Goldeneye), a hat stand or a photo of Bond on her desk

Q's Lab could have lots of refrences like some gadgets (the moonraker camera that was in the silo map, the golden gun and maybe OddJob's hat), have a couple of Wanted Signs with Treveylan, Ourumov or Jaws on it

the possibilitys are endless....

maybe try adding some windows and i was thinking you could use this image as a background behind the window giving it depth and making it look really visual:

http://www.anforme.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/iStock_000004281929Medium.jpg
Oh yeah, don't worry about that. Q Lab is gonna be filled with gadgets. For M's office, I was planning on placing the tv screen in the wall with Orumov's picture on it like in the movie. And I might use some of those ideas you just wrote. But first I gotta learn how to use 3Ds Max.. Thank you for the image it's really good and it fits pretty well since I wanted the outside to be night time.

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 01:54:16 pm »

If you're going to use windows, as Rick suggested, you might  want to consider using a 3D skybox and the City 17 skybox prop instead of images. Those images will look really flat on their own. Unless of course you want to build a couple blocks of London around MI6.

Also, I learned that Frexx had already made an MI6 map, but it was lost. There is a video though, maybe it will provide you with some inspiration.
Completed: twine_mi6_sc, 1138_hangout, ge_garrison

Boris_Crack

• Secret Agent
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 03:41:22 pm »

If you're going to use windows, as Rick suggested, you might  want to consider using a 3D skybox and the City 17 skybox prop instead of images. Those images will look really flat on their own. Unless of course you want to build a couple blocks of London around MI6.

Also, I learned that Frexx had already made an MI6 map, but it was lost. There is a video though, maybe it will provide you with some inspiration.
Allright, thank you for the suggestion. I will check out these skyboxes when I start doing the lightning.

As for Frexx map, I allready knew it. I even contacted him on youtube for help and stuff. Really nice guy.

Anyway thank you really much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up