GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 04:39:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: In game song (Permited for use only by the GE:S Mod team)  (Read 15064 times)

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
Re: In game song (Permited for use only by the GE:S Mod team)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 01:37:32 am »

I'll give you my honest opinion on this track and how it measures up to what we're looking for. I'm going to be blatantly honest because that's the best way to learn. :)

----------------
- We'd never use a track that utilizes a preset as widely used as that Sytrus guitar sample.

- It's extremely basic. It sounds like it's on autopilot the whole time. You've got all the Bond riffs in there, with no interesting arrangement.

- Parts like the drums at 1:03, 2:02, and 2:25 show how little attention was paid to percussion. The drums at those parts don't match the instruments at all.

- Those constant bass booms would get extremely annoying on a good sound system. Use them sparingly for best effect!

- It has the FL Studio demo feel all over it.
----------------

With that said, getting your hands dirty in FL is the first step. Best of luck with your future work!

Crackshot

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Crackshot is looked down upon.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 03:03:19 am »

I'll give you my honest opinion on this track and how it measures up to what we're looking for. I'm going to be blatantly honest because that's the best way to learn. :)

----------------
- We'd never use a track that utilizes a preset as widely used as that Sytrus guitar sample.

- It's extremely basic. It sounds like it's on autopilot the whole time. You've got all the Bond riffs in there, with no interesting arrangement.

- Parts like the drums at 1:03, 2:02, and 2:25 show how little attention was paid to percussion. The drums at those parts don't match the instruments at all.

- Those constant bass booms would get extremely annoying on a good sound system. Use them sparingly for best effect!

- It has the FL Studio demo feel all over it.
----------------

With that said, getting your hands dirty in FL is the first step. Best of luck with your future work!

First step? my dear friend this is merely something i was dicking around with, i have got plenty more music that is better than this with much more attention to detail, but i don't share it here because frankly when it comes to music i don't trust a gamers opinion

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 03:13:49 am »

Do you mean the "music" that is posted on your myspace profile (http://www.myspace.com/djcolinyost) that you shared with us for your application?

You are either naive, arrogant, or completely ignorant of criticism because Sole Signal, Basstronix, and Goldenzen are light years ahead of you in talent, production, and professionalism yet you don't "trust their opinion because they are gamers".

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 03:22:21 am »

Yes, my dear friend, you really need to learn to take constructive criticism.

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 03:29:04 am »

Oh i can take it just fine, i just don't care about the people on this forum =D never have actually

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 03:44:24 am »

Uh huh...
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:07 am »

First step? my dear friend this is merely something i was dicking around with, i have got plenty more music that is better than this with much more attention to detail, but i don't share it here because frankly when it comes to music i don't trust a gamers opinion

If you don't even trust a gamer's opinion after all, why is you're posting to contribute stuff in a mod forum, a mod which is played by... let's see.... how are these strange guys called.... gamers? :o
Well, I think this thread was fun to read, after all.
I had needed a good laugh for some time now, thank you :-)

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 05:43:20 am »

Oh i can take it just fine, i just don't care about the people on this forum =D never have actually
You don't like this forum because people call your work for what it is and point out areas to improve? You'll never progress with that kind of mindset.

And lose the condescending attitude, dear friend; the real world has a lot to teach you. Get your first professional composing gig and have the client reject your track. An elitist attitude will get you NOWHERE.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:47:00 am by Sole Signal [Audix] »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

The backlash of arrogance really paints you for what you are Crackshot.

True creativity requires that you embrace criticism, for your own sake. People who ignore criticism often believe they are better at something than they really are.

Understandably, you probably weren't expecting such a harsh critique, but I put that down to you not quite realising who these fellows are. They apply the same level of criticism to what they do themselves every day.

You have the potential to develop your skills. The fact that you have learned to compose tracks, even if not refined, already puts you in a minority as most people don't know the very first thing about it. That doesn't, however, mean you're great at it.

If you're serious about developing your skills you should be seeking criticism rather than acting like you just shat out a gold nugget.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »

First step? my dear friend this is merely something i was dicking around with, i have got plenty more music that is better than this with much more attention to detail, but i don't share it here because frankly when it comes to music i don't trust a gamers opinion.

Indifference and aggression can be used as a social mechanisms to "save face" in situations where credibility is being questioned.

If you really didn't care about the forum, then you wouldn't have put your song on here to receive feedback.

Writing music is an on-going process, and Mangley was exactly right in saying that it's important to embrace criticism.  Though sometimes harsh, it is done with the intention of helping the person improve at what they do.

It's important to remember that there is always more to learn.  The reason why the developers for this game are so talented is because they've taken the time to make tons of mistakes and learn from them.

It's good to be confident and enjoy what you do, but it shouldn't be extrapolated to a point where you put others down.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:34 am »

I am almost 100% certain Sole Signal is not a gamer really, just a musician who loves goldeneye and who wanted to remix the music. There is a huge distinction between what he is and the term "gamer" as far as your apparent stone-walling of his credibility.

Also to note when thinking about his criticism's in particular (respectfully discounting others voicing here), he is a successfully recorded artist outside of this team and should be considered a "producer" as well. So if you are saying a producers input on your work is not valid or wanted? Good luck finding someone willing to put up with you. And the more you fight or put up walls on people's opinions, the more silly/immature you appear. You have to be truly amazing/undeniably talented to get away with arrogance. That goes for success online OR in the real world of music production.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:45:22 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 11:48:13 am »

@Crackshot

I don´t like it, ´cause the guitar riff´s very ennoying and the structure is way too simple. compare your song with the official goldeneye songs and you´ll find out for yourself. but don´t be upset about our comments, ´cause the people here wanna help you to improve yourself. take some time and do it again, and again and again and again and then post it here again and maybe the people will post something like this: WOAAAW, for holy fucking sake, this is the masterpiece of the ultimate masterpieces !! GREAT WORK ! I LOVE YOU ! I just can´t say more, I have tears in my golden eye...

cy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:50:38 am by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 03:19:37 pm »

@Crackshot

I don´t like it, ´cause the guitar riff´s very ennoying and the structure is way too simple. compare your song with the official goldeneye songs and you´ll find out for yourself. but don´t be upset about our comments, ´cause the people here wanna help you to improve yourself. take some time and do it again, and again and again and again and then post it here again and maybe the people will post something like this: WOAAAW, for holy fucking sake, this is the masterpiece of the ultimate masterpieces !! GREAT WORK ! I LOVE YOU ! I just can´t say more, I have tears in my golden eye...

cy

See now this is the kind of criticism i can respond to, because he tells me whats wrong, and suggest a fix to the problem, rather than just sh*ting on all of it and not giving suggestion on how to improve it.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 04:46:12 pm »

Sole signal and a few others said EXACTLY that. But ok good to see you didn't fight a criticism.

Nevertheless, no one here is looking for someone to call crap, so if you are thinking that without realizing your own attitudes are a factor in the tone of our responses. Think again :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:47:43 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »

Well with in moments of reading your replys I looked in the files for your mod in order to find the composers of the songs you have for it, and one caught my attention, but I havent heard from him yet, a guy named Trent Robertson. I was hoping to ask him some questions about the music he made for the mod.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up